B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay first my sob story. I'm driving to work today and there's this tractor-trailor in front of me and it looks like the guy is driving the thing for the first time in his life. I mean he's all over the place; riding on the shoulder and such. Anyways I learn the hard way that he has no mud flaps installed when a piece of one inch diameter debris gets rocketed right into the windshield. Now I have a beautiful crack in the windshield right where I look through while driving. Right now its only a 1/4" round crack, but I suspect it will grow. :(
Anyways my questions. Isn't there some kind of window repair stuff that can be bought and if so do you think it would work on this small crack (i know i've only provided vague details)? Also shouldn't there be some kind of liability!? I know logically the driver can be held liable for a completely uncontrolable situation but he didn't have flaps...BLAH! Sorry I was ranting!
The worse part is that in all my years of owning a vehicle not once has this happened to me and now it has when I've gone and bought a brand new car. Wah!!! Okay B*tch session over.

------------------
2001 Blackout SE w/ PP, sunroof, debadged, Stromung exhaust, more to come...

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Don't those little rocks always seem to happen on the driver's side right in the middle of your view? Happened to my last car a while back. Smack right in the middle of my view. Eyelevel too. :D

But they have those windshield repair kits at like Pep Boys or any other automotive store. Anyone have any thoughts on these? Do they work?

------------------
Jae
'00 SE w/ some stuff...
Desperately seeking an SOHC VTEC... yes, I'm serious.

[This message has been edited by SR20DE 2K (edited March 29, 2001).]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing... I have two small cracks (that don't penetrate all the way through) that I'd like to get rid of before they spread. The first one happened before my car was even a month old, and it really ticked my off, and now I just got another one and I'm only 5 months old now. What kinds of options are there for getting these repaired (I don't want to have to get a new widnshield already)

Eric

------------------
2001 SE, 5spd, PP

·
Registered
180 Posts
Usually standard insurance has full glass coverage and I believe it is a 0 deductible type claim.

------------------
Black 2K SE+PP

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
What you should of did is pull the truck over cause If it didn't have mudflaps on it he's in the wrong it's a D.O.T. requirement that they have them on or they'll ge fined,,,so you could have had the trucking company pay for it.......

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI
*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS* ***My Website***

·
Registered
145 Posts
Less than a year ago I was heading to one my accounts(in my 94 se-r) in a town about 80 mi. from where I live,a semi heading the opposite direction kicked up a golf ball sized rock that devastated my windshield. I actually chased after him and had him pull over, where upon I got his company name, and his insurance company. After much squabbling I finally had to give up, insurance companies most of the time consider such accidents an act of god. As far as my insurance coverage goes, I have $500.00 deductible on my insurance, so it wont cover a windshield replacement. I'm surprised you guys haven't heard of the other alternative, most glass replacement companies have a technique whereby they fill the chip or crack with a resin under a vacuum. If the chip or crack is fairly recent, such as no moisture or dirt in the crack, it can be made virtually invisible. I've used the service several times over the years, it should cost around $40.00. If worst comes to worst though you should be able to find someone to replace the windshield for around $180.00. Adios Amigos

------------------
2001 se,pp,5spd,moonroof,stillen pop charger,stainless streetline exhaust,panther alloys,eibach lowered.Former ride 94 se-r.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I tried one of those repair kits on a stone
chip I had in the windshield of my old truck.

It was probably a 1/16 of an inch hole with
the spider leg cracks extending out about a
1/2 inch from the center.

I followed the directions to the letter, and while it did eliminate the spider legs, I just couldn't get it to due jack squat with the hole itself.

On a one to ten scale, I'd give it about a four.

------------------
2001 Sentra SE, PP, 5-Speed, Sunroof.

PR CAI (in da mail), Kenwood KFC-1738Cs (in da back), gas cap holder (on da side)

·
Registered
145 Posts
You may have noticed I said I had used the service several times over the years,also I had it done by a tech that has been doing it for AT LEAST 8 YEARS. Not a do it yourself kit.It works!

------------------
2001 se,pp,5spd,moonroof,stillen pop charger,stainless streetline exhaust,panther alloys,eibach lowered.Former ride 94 se-r.

·
Registered
312 Posts
cap,

My comment wasn't directed at you, it was an answer to the original question.

I read your reponse, and agree. The system
the service places use works very well.

------------------
2001 Sentra SE, PP, 5-Speed, Sunroof.

PR CAI (in da mail), Kenwood KFC-1738Cs (in da back), gas cap holder (on da side)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses everyone! I have the guys license but I feel it'd just be a waste of time to try and get someone else to pay for "an act of god" event. The professional vacuum seal technique sounds promising. I will have to look into a place that can do this. Again thanks!

------------------
2001 Blackout SE w/ PP, sunroof, debadged, Stromung exhaust, more to come...

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Nitelife:
I hink you are on the right track. I haven't used the vacuum thing, but I would go to the professionals. I'm n ot sure you will even pay a deductable for this. I have become increasingly aware that tractor trailer's with mud flaps that are not in good condition throw lots of things. If I see one with no mud flaps, I will do whatever to avoid the guy. To the point of stopping and taking an unscheduled break.

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Registered
145 Posts
Boy are you right, the best thing to do is keep at least five to six car lengths behind those big rock throwing mother's, until you get a clear area to pass.As it is Im touching up 5 to 6 rock chips a week .Adios Amigos

·
Jersey Sentra
243 Posts
The professional vacuum seal method does work well for a few years. I had it done on my 89 Maxima in 1993, and it lasted almost 7 years before I started to see spidering this past winter. Just remember that it does eventually degrade, and as the paperwork I got says "results may vary." No total guarantees. Was it cheaper than a new windshield? Yes! at $89 it was a steal, but still a good chunk. Considering a Windshield would have been $400, it was worth it. Will it last a long time? I think 7 years was pretty long! I should also tell you, it will not make it completely invisible (depends on how big it is) and over the years, as debris/snow/ice get in and around where the hole it, it did eventually LOOK like a bigger round thing BUT it never spidered at all!

--*Rob

------------------
2001 SE, Radium, PP, Sunroof, Rear Splash guards

·
Registered
150 Posts
rock chipped mine too...no deductible to pay just have insurance call procedure # to glass shop.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hey Nightlife! If you have the guys license plate, give it a quick try. You never know what will happen. Good Luck

You Know? this s*** always seems to happen to me too when I get a new car. Some person just hit and ran me. Have to get a new fender and pound the door out! :eek:

------------------
2000 Sentra SE/ PP Black
Just got hit by some b**** but will be fixed in a week!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Most insurance companies cover windshield replacements and chip fixes. Some however have different methods of providing service. Some use the deductible, some have a lower deductible and some have a 0 deductible. I have a 0 deductible on mine. Some even cover the front windows on the front doors.

frontierboy

[This message has been edited by frontierboy (edited April 04, 2001).]

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
Do alot of research on windsheild replacements if it comes to that. Most places do not install them correctly. You want to know what, and what not, the installers are supposed to do. The last thing you want is the thing popping out on the interstate.

------------------
2000 SE w/ PP auto in Heatwave

·
Registered
149 Posts
A month after we bought our Sentra, some debris hit the windshield (rock?) on the highway. It hit the windshield hard enough that some glass broke off on the INSIDE of the car. The object did not come through though. She was ok and we had it replaced 2 days later. Our windshields are very easy to replace, it took the guy about 30 minutes. He said it is one of his favorites to have to do.

------------------
'97 VW Golf Trek - modded
'00 Sentra SE - PP, PIAAs, Tint

1 - 18 of 18 Posts