B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

When I take my 2000SE w/ pp up past 90 mph there is very loud, sustained, and annoying whistle--very loud too--which is heard coming from the front windshield.

I finally think I located it right above the rear view mirror (on the outside--I'm pretty sure it's from there, but it's so loud I can't really say for sure).

There's obviously something causing a weird kind of drag effect that's causing this whistle.

1) I've tried re-taping the top molding of the windshiled (where it meets the glass) in hopes that it would smooth over the air flow: it didn't work; 2) I also put silicone on the edges of where the top horizontal molding meets the vertical moldings, thinking that the whistle was generated from there: it also didn't work. The whistle is still there. I'm getting pretty damn frustrated.

I'm just a simple fella 33, that commutes on highway 5 between SF and LA. On isolated stretches of hwy 5 when it's empty the whistle always comes up after 90 mph.

Any of you have this problem. It can't just be me. I'm so pissed. Help. Thanks in advance. spirit.

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Never a recall. Just most dealers would fix it when complained about. I got used to it and never had it fixed.

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
Not a recall but there is a TSB actually... Check here:
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11414&highlight=tsb+windshield+noise
NTB00069

Use the procedure in this bulletin to diagnose and repair an applied vehicle if an intermittent hum or whistle is heard at the upper edge of the windshield at speeds above 70 miles per hour. The noise may sound as if it is coming from the dash area or appear to be wind noise. The noise may be caused by a "reed effect," in which air passing over the upper molding lip causes the rubber to lift and vibrate against the roof panel. See this bulletin for further detail.
Hope it help ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
It's a faulty windshield molding. It just needs replaced.

Common problem on the '00 and '01s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts