41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
MSC-B14 said:
Not sure why you would want to install the 32 bit version.
Your hardware doesn't have x64 drivers or you don't have > ~3GB RAM.

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
i.e. you have an old computer. we run vista on the laptop, nothing wrong with it so far either.. i'm guessing 7 isn't HUGE strides over vista, but addresses some of the biggest complaints.. and mostly addresses the marketing problem.

·
Registered
773 Posts
DevlynSyde said:
i.e. you have an old computer. we run vista on the laptop, nothing wrong with it so far either.. i'm guessing 7 isn't HUGE strides over vista, but addresses some of the biggest complaints.. and mostly addresses the marketing problem.
Haha I have to agree with that.
I got called over to help a lady with her computer a few weeks ago. She is blaming Vista because she couldn't get her new printer to work. I charged her $50 to plug in the USB cable.

·
RWD is teh bomb
2,138 Posts
Downloaded Windows 7 RTM Professional to test at work in a VM on my ESX farm.. works fantastic so far.. fast, and almost all apps appear to be working!

·
F*ck You Hippies
525 Posts
Ive been testing it myself. "Sysprepping" it, deploying it, trying to get it to do hardware independent imaging so far no major problems some of our scripts will have to be rewritten etc due to UAC and we will have some printer issues due to some of the being so old there arent vista/7 drivers but thats pretty typical. Not the OS's fault.

·
ConstructAdditionalPylons
428 Posts
just disable uac and all that useless junk. i have win7 but haven't tried it yet. after dealing with vista, uac is the fckin first thing that is getting torn out. i'm tired of clicking 8 boxes because 'tards need their hand held to avoid getting viruses :rolleyes:

·
F*ck You Hippies
525 Posts
Yes business users ae tards who do need their hands held hence why UAC will be staying on :) its much less intrusive than Vistas from what I can tell.

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
I grabbed my Win7 Ultimate ISO from TechNet last night and will be installing it my and my wife's computers tomorrow. I've been running the RC on my new system for the last week and have been pleased with it.

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
Well, I've been running the RTM version on my and my wife's systems for the last 10 days without much of an issue. I haven't even had any issues with it connecting to my Windows Home Server system.

·
OT Whore
4,411 Posts
I'm still running I think the 2nd release after the first RC. Only O.S. on my PC and its been rock solid. It uses RAM sure.. but seriously if that is your complaint skip a lunch at McDonald's and buy some.

·
Registered
298 Posts
^^^Exactly.

The x64 has been running fine. Only hangup is that COD:WaW loads a bit slower. UAC is not as invasive as before and is configurable.

RAM is cheap, install the x64, max out your board and be happy. :)

·
Resident Geologist
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Well got my copy last week and finally installed it.

Took me a long time to get error messages from popping up and to update miscellaneous drivers. I kept getting a p17runE.dll error, but I never had an external audio card so not sure why I even had this .dll file. I just deleted it out of the registry and it fixed the problem.

If compatibility doesn't keep being an issue and I am sure more and more companies will develop their drivers and things then it seems to be running great. It loads faster for sure, but still uses about 1.3 gigs of ram with nothing open.

I also tried to update firefox again to the newest version and it is fuxxored still. It won't load some pictures. I get cannot connect to website errors one out of 5 pages.

·
SOPHROSYNE
2,756 Posts
Well got my copy last week and finally installed it.

Took me a long time to get error messages from popping up and to update miscellaneous drivers. I kept getting a p17runE.dll error, but I never had an external audio card so not sure why I even had this .dll file. I just deleted it out of the registry and it fixed the problem.

If compatibility doesn't keep being an issue and I am sure more and more companies will develop their drivers and things then it seems to be running great. It loads faster for sure, but still uses about 1.3 gigs of ram with nothing open.

I also tried to update firefox again to the newest version and it is fuxxored still. It won't load some pictures. I get cannot connect to website errors one out of 5 pages.
Firefox problems are not related to WIN7,new FF sucks and blows,I've moved to Chrome for most of my surfing/work related needs.
I've also got the copy of WIN 7 64 bit with College ID for....$29 :D

·
Resident Geologist
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Firefox problems are not related to WIN7,new FF sucks and blows,I've moved to Chrome for most of my surfing/work related needs.
I've also got the copy of WIN 7 64 bit with College ID for....$29 :D
I know...I tried the newest version with Vista and then uninstalled it for an older version. I thought maybe it would work better with Windows 7, but I was wrong. I am tired of messing with it for a while though. It will piss me off here soon I am sure and I will uninstall it again.

·
El Greco
2,296 Posts
The most retarded thing they did was to eliminate the Classic Menu. I am pissed.

Other that that, it works.

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
It loads faster for sure, but still uses about 1.3 gigs of ram with nothing open.
What number are you looking at to come up with that?

·
OT Slut
1,308 Posts
I'm hoping to load W7 on my desktop tonight. I'dled it off a torrent and then extracted it from the zip file. I'm hoping that I did it right to just drop the whole folder onto the disc and pop it in.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts