B15 Sentra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
...
Joined
·
63 Posts
I've never had any problems with Vista, sure it's a bit RAM intensive (the only downside I can think of) but my work computer handles it just fine.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,869 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,144 Posts
Windows 7 runs a hell of a lot better on low end hardware (netbooks etc) than Vista does. I have a copy of Vista Ultimate 64 on my desk right now. Got it when it first came out. It was installed on my quad core intel for about 2 days before I took it off.

I may consider upgrading my old AMD X64 3500 system downstairs from a very clean and stable XP install to Windows 7 down the line.

Vista will probably stay right here on the desk uninstalled unless there is a good upgrade deal from Vista to 7. In the meantime, I'll keep using the 3 Macs we have.

Someone once told me Virtual Memory (using hard disk as RAM to avoid having to buy RAM) was the best thing to ever happen to RAM sales (so slow it makes people cough up money for RAM). Vista is probably the best thing to happen to Apple in a long time.
 

·
OT Whore
Joined
·
4,411 Posts
pditty said:
Windows 7 runs a hell of a lot better on low end hardware (netbooks etc) than Vista does. I have a copy of Vista Ultimate 64 on my desk right now. Got it when it first came out. It was installed on my quad core intel for about 2 days before I took it off.

I may consider upgrading my old AMD X64 3500 system downstairs from a very clean and stable XP install to Windows 7 down the line.

Vista will probably stay right here on the desk uninstalled unless there is a good upgrade deal from Vista to 7. In the meantime, I'll keep using the 3 Macs we have.

Someone once told me Virtual Memory (using hard disk as RAM to avoid having to buy RAM) was the best thing to ever happen to RAM sales (so slow it makes people cough up money for RAM). Vista is probably the best thing to happen to Apple in a long time.
The current deal for Vista to 7 is $50... it isn't going to get much cheaper than that I imagine.
 

·
an unproductive bastard
Joined
·
418 Posts
and the 50 deal, is only limited time, i think you have until the end of july then it goes back to 120. and mircosoft said that its not unlimited so the deal could end even sooner. though that just could scare tactics lol. i preorder mine on day one. im on linux but its only 50 dollars, i only use vista to sync my phones and ipod
 

·
OT Whore
Joined
·
4,411 Posts
Good story.

I ran WinXP again last night off of my smaller drive.. the boot time difference is ridiculous. What the hell is XP's problem, heh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,144 Posts
keep in mind though that smaller drives tend to be older drives which are slower.

old installs of XP build up a bunch of crap that slow it down.

also, boot time is a complex thing. there's slow booting where it takes a long time to get to the desktop

then there's "fast" booting where you get to the desktop really quickly, but the hard disk keeps thrashing violently for 5 minutes after that and the computer is unusable until it's done.
 

·
El Greco
Joined
·
2,296 Posts
I have mine on pre-order also. For $50, what the heck.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,869 Posts
DevlynSyde said:
the boot time difference is ridiculous. What the hell is XP's problem, heh.
For starters, its eight years old.
 

·
Resident Geologist
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I preordered it the other day after I made the thread. Not saying it will be better then vista, but them coming out with it so soon after vista makes it obvious vista will be kaput after 7 comes out so might as well get it now for $50.
 

·
OT Whore
Joined
·
4,411 Posts
The RC is better than Vista.. so.. I'd assume it will be.. err.. is.. lol.

What is lacking in the $50 version versus Ultimate?
 

·
El Greco
Joined
·
2,296 Posts
One thing I am not sure about... I have not seen separate 32 and 64 versions, neither on Newegg, where I got my copy, or on Windows 7 site. I am guessing the DVD includes both?
 

·
Red Beard Innovations
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
I just got he wife a new laptop with vista 64bt and it flys. I dont really see the problem with vista. I also have win 7 on another laptop and its nice too. I still prefer ubuntu, but windows has made several strides forward since xp.
 

·
Resident Geologist
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
evangelos K said:
One thing I am not sure about... I have not seen separate 32 and 64 versions, neither on Newegg, where I got my copy, or on Windows 7 site. I am guessing the DVD includes both?
It says it includes both versions. Not sure why you would want to install the 32 bit version.
 

·
El Greco
Joined
·
2,296 Posts
MSC-B14 said:
It says it includes both versions. Not sure why you would want to install the 32 bit version.
I don't.
 
21 - 40 of 69 Posts
Top