B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Resident Geologist
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone going to order it? Right now they have the upgrade for the home edition for $50. I am thinking I will order it tonight to upgrade from Vista since it will be dead after 7 comes out.

·
ConstructAdditionalPylons
428 Posts
i don't recommend upgrading your windows install. if you want to use windows 7, back up what you need and do a fresh install. i've only used windows 7 a little bit since microsoft had the beta thing going on and they give you a key good for a year. it might still be open - look into it. it would give you a chance to use it before purchasing. even if it isn't open, if you can get hold of an iso for win7, i can help you with a key. i have an extra legit key that was never used and is good for a year.

·
SOPHROSYNE
2,756 Posts
I've been running Beta then RC version,seems like a decent OS,no problems here.

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
I ran the beta and am running the RC on my notebook. I haven't had a problem with it. I plan on upgrading my primary PC from Vista x64 to it.

·
Resident Geologist
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there any improvements on performance over the RAM hungry Vista? I will look into it and I have an external drive I can backup anything I need on and do a fresh install of it.

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
Absolutely.

·
428 Posts
MSC-B14 said:
Are there any improvements on performance over the RAM hungry Vista? I will look into it and I have an external drive I can backup anything I need on and do a fresh install of it.
I hear great things about Win7 over Vista. I'm glad I skipped Vista completely (still on XP). People are hailing it as everything Vista was supposed to be.

·
SOPHROSYNE
2,756 Posts
MSC-B14 said:
I'm using about 30 % less memory then with Vista (I've gave up on Vista and run XP after all),I've never had BSOD and I like it.
Don't do upgrades,run a fresh install after formatting your drive.

·
428 Posts

·
F*ck You Hippies
525 Posts
I really cant complain about Vista. Since SP1 its been pretty solid I didnt get it until then, and now with SP2 no problems at all. Course I disable UAC and the sidebar and a few other things but Im happy with it. I have it on a PC and 2 laptops. The PC and one laptop are X64 the other X32. I always have plenty of ram yes its a lil hungry but eh i got 4GB in all my machines No problems man

I figure just like Vista and office 2007 I will wait until I go to one of my IT conferences and wait for M$ to give me a free copy or two. :D

·
SOPHROSYNE
2,756 Posts
I've never seen any upgrade advantage for Vista over XP.

·
Resident Geologist
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
6th-speed said:
I'm using about 30 % less memory then with Vista (I've gave up on Vista and run XP after all),I've never had BSOD and I like it.
Don't do upgrades,run a fresh install after formatting your drive.
I wouldn't be doing the upgrade. It is just an "upgrade" copy that you can do the fresh install with, but it is on sale now to preorder for half price (which is $50 instead of $200 for the whole new windows 7 without a previous copy of windows). I guess they call it an upgrade copy...it just means you are already running a windows version and are getting 7 instead. It said you would be able to do the reformat and install it from scratch.

·
Resident Geologist
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
6th-speed said:
It was cheaper :p When I built my new system it was under $100 for Vista Home premium 64 bit. I really didn't have any problem with mine ever other then it is slow. I never saw any more bugs than I did with XP and I never had a problem running any programs.

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
6th-speed said:
Vista x64 > XP64, for starters.

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
MSC-B14 said:
It is just an "upgrade" copy that you can do the fresh install with
Going back to Windows 95, the upgrade versions have always supported the clean install method.

·
SOPHROSYNE
2,756 Posts
Y2K SE said:
Vista x64 > XP64, for starters.
I've never tried 64Vista but I can see your point in supporting hardware XP can't recognize.

·
Registered
298 Posts
MSDN...try them all...

·
63 Posts
Can someone break the major differences between Vista and Windows 7 for me? Essentially what makes 7 that much better than Vista.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts