B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know much about tinting, but I'll be going to have it done probably next friday.

I was just wondering, there are several brand out there, I know 3M is supposed to be the best but Its a little pricey for me (considering I have other mods in mind too, hehe).

Which brand is crap ? I mean, have you guys had particularly BAD experiences with certain brands ?

I think the shop Im going to uses Lumar or something like that.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

------------------
2001 Black Sentra SE w/pp 5spd

Ghetto Grill
Racing Pedals
Replacement Antenna
Side Markers (soon)
Front Mud Flaps
- - - - - - -
SpIcEz.com

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I don't know what to tell you about brands, but make sure you take a napkin or kleenex to the felt rubber strips that contact the window at the bottom. On my old car I had the scratch resistant tint and I didn't clean those, and little sand grains that were there put little tiny scratches in the tint over time. They were hardly noticable but you could see em.

------------------

2000 Sentra SE PP Black 5 spd aluminum painted calipers, rotors, strut
bar, and polished valve cover. PR CAI on its way

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got 3M tint, it has lasted perfect since 1996 for me no problems at all or any bubbles. I think a lot of it has to do with who puts it on too and the job they do. Mine came with a 1 year warranty from the install place as well.

Just make sure u check all yoru cleaning materials. I think no alcohol based cleaners.

I'm guessing that walmart stuff is bad since my friend got it and it bubbled.

Also be careful if u decide to try to put a fridge in your back seat where it doesnt fit and u stuff it in there and try to close the door and rip your tint on your window. Well...thats what happened to me. I learned the hard way that sentra back seats werent meant for fridges.

------------------
Neil
Visionology Interactive
http://www.visim.com
"me n my baby"

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL Neil.

I guess some things you just have to learn the hard way :)

------------------

Ghetto Grill
Racing Pedals
Replacement Antenna
Side Markers (soon)
Front Mud Flaps
- - - - - - -
SpIcEz.com

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
When I went to get my windows tinted, it was either going to be 3M or Llumar, nothing else.

------------------
2000 SE w/ PP auto in Heatwave

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good, So you consider Llumar to be a good product, thats what I needed to know.

Ive now confirmed the place Im going to uses Llumar and also they've been in business 18 years, so they cant be all bad. Now all I want is a 1 year warranty and Im set :))

------------------
SpIcEz.com

·
Registered
268 Posts
hmm....just a question...

usually do ppl tint all four doors windows or just the rear's?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would say all 4. Heres the deal though. In nearly every state it is legal to tint your rear window as dark as you want but front windows have to be a certain limit (which is defined by local laws). In Connecticut the limit was 35% tint so I did 35% all the way around. Some ppl do 20% or 15% in back and 35% in front but I prefer a consistant look, not a gradient of tint on my car.

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
All 4 is the way to go. I've seen all sorts of cars that didn't get the front doors done, and the limosine look on a Sentra just isn't flattering.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Neil said:
In nearly every state it is legal to tint your rear window as dark as you want but front windows have to be a certain limit (which is defined by local laws). In Connecticut the limit was 35% tint so I did 35% all the way around. Some ppl do 20% or 15% in back and 35% in front but I prefer a consistant look, not a gradient of tint on my car.
I beg to differ. It is illegal to tint the front windows in California. And, IIRC, you can go down to 20% in the back. When I moved to Utah, I had to strip the tint as it was too dark. Legal limit for Utah is like 25% back and 35% front. Someone from Utah, please correct me.

One more thing, mine came with lifetime warranty against bubbling, fading and peeling.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I am currently using 3M tint on my car at 35% and I've always used 3M tint on my prior cars....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Zackman said:
Neil said:
In nearly every state it is legal to tint your rear window as dark as you want but front windows have to be a certain limit (which is defined by local laws). In Connecticut the limit was 35% tint so I did 35% all the way around. Some ppl do 20% or 15% in back and 35% in front but I prefer a consistant look, not a gradient of tint on my car.
I beg to differ. It is illegal to tint the front windows in California. And, IIRC, you can go down to 20% in the back. When I moved to Utah, I had to strip the tint as it was too dark. Legal limit for Utah is like 25% back and 35% front. Someone from Utah, please correct me.

One more thing, mine came with lifetime warranty against bubbling, fading and peeling.
Yeah i said nearly and front windows determined by local laws which in cali- i guesss is nothing. Always check laws if u wanna be legal, which a lot of ppl don't.

Lifetime warranty? What manufacturer? Its strange that it would come against a bubbling warranty since a lot of the time its due to ppl not putting it on correctly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just so happen to run a window tinting information website that has the state laws
http://www.tintdude.com
You can arm yourself with a little knowledge before you have them done.
BTW in Calif. you can have any tint behind the driver as dark as you want, but on the front doors you may only have 88% ultra light ( a nearly clear film that blocks uv light and offers some shatter protection).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Neil said:
[/B]Lifetime warranty? What manufacturer? Its strange that it would come against a bubbling warranty since a lot of the time its due to ppl not putting it on correctly. [/B]
Yes, lifetime warranty against cracking, bubbling and fading. It is from Solar Gard Window Films.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
TintDude said:
I just so happen to run a window tinting information website that has the state laws
http://www.tintdude.com
You can arm yourself with a little knowledge before you have them done.
BTW in Calif. you can have any tint behind the driver as dark as you want, but on the front doors you may only have 88% ultra light ( a nearly clear film that blocks uv light and offers some shatter protection).
Interesting reading you have on your site Tintdude.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Anyone have any info about Madico window tinting? I'm going to this place in Van Nuys (Los Angeles County) that did a keyless entry system for me many months ago and that's been fine. They quoted me $145. I was gonna do 35% all windows.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Madico is alright and that price sounds good, the quality of the installation is more important than the brand of film. None of the films last forever. Make sure to ask them if they know how to get the dot matrix band at the top of the rear window to stick, if they dont, keep looking for a better shop. There is an adhesive that can be added to the dotted area.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had my Spec-V done this morning. Up here in Ontario, Canada.... the police don't seem to enforce window tinting, at least i haven't had a problem and i have a few friends who are cops. Anyways, i had all the doors and back window done in Llumar 20% and it looks sweet. I asked him to not do over the dot matrix at the top of the back window and he agreed that it looks better that way. Only way you can really tell is from the inside since, but this guy is one of the best in Ottawa and he lifetime warranty's his tint from bubbles, etc.... paid $200 cash Canadian.

·
Now I have two boys!
2,356 Posts
Mine came stock from dealer because I bitched about the maroon sentra the dealer I went to had on the lot. They ordered one from 80 miles away and it happened to be a showroom car. It had FL Legal tint and pinstripe (unique, and I don't even notice it!). The tint is slightly darker in the passenger (rear) windows, you can hardly see in the car. Same for the back window which is a patch about 4 inches from the edge of the glass all around it. The front windows are maybe 10% lighter than the passenger rear windows, but the car looks TIGHT as everyone tells me. FL tint in MD is NOT legal, but ask me if I've been stopped (as I knock on every piece of f-ing wood around!)!

Black SE with Black tint = BLACKOUT!! Gunmetal or black rims??? Anyone think so??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts