B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That you are not supposed to wax the newly painted area for 3 months? One would think that if the bodyshop cured the paint properly as well as applied it properly that this wouldn't be an issue. I really want to get my car looking good, don't want to wait till summer is over to do it.

-iLL

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
I don't believe that is a requirement anymore for clearcoats. There were some technical discussions under
Edmunds.com-Town Hall-Maintenance and Repair-Store Bought Waxes. Ill see if I cand find the link and post it. Anyway I did mine right away with the Meguiar's #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax and it looks great. They have a product called Medallion Premium Paint Protectant. I know there are better products out there, but right now I am staying with Meguiars Professional Series. You neeed to protect the paint as soon as possible. Besides when the dealers put on their Paint Protectant for $350 they are probably using the Medallion Product or equal.

Meguiars Products
http://autosupermart.com/shopcart/meguiars.html

G

·
I have been told by the detailing guys at car care online that it is okay to wax, but DON'T USE A GLAZE on the newly painted area. The Wax will help seal the surface to prevent any contaminants from building up on the surface. Ideally, they said no wax would be best, but given the fact that the car is driven on a daily basis, waxing it is the best way. However, they said to wait at least 90 days prior to using any type of glaze on the paint. It needs to be fully cured before using that stuff.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
I would agree with maxximtl..

I copied part of the following post at Edmunds. This guy generally knows what he is talking about.

". The paint on most new cars are basecoat/clearcoat and are cured at the factory in ovens. THe 90 days rule comes from body shops and for the most part is not applicable today as many cars painted at body shops are also clearcoated and baked. Back in the old days cars came with enamel paint jobs that needed extended cure times and those $99 paint and body places didn't take the time to ensure curing. So they just gave the cars to customers with the "wait 90 days" warning. This does not apply to factory paint jobs."

He did not say anything about a glaze. To be on the saft side I'd stay away from it. You may want jto stay away from the "one step" products as they have cleaners and possibly abrasives in them. Like I said I really like the #26 stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts