B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
I like fried Spam
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone inform me of why churchs dont pay property taxes? Least in florida, and I am pretty sure everywhere else.

·
I like fried Spam
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not for profit...please. So the land they sit on is not for profit so they should not be taxed on it? My house is not for profit...can I be exempt too?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Da_jester said:
Not for profit...please. So the land they sit on is not for profit so they should not be taxed on it? My house is not for profit...can I be exempt too?
Our gov't does a lot of favors for religious institutions and clergymen.....

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Wel there are a couple of issues..

Da_jester said:
First the Organization must:

Under IRS Code 501 (c)(3) a nonprofit corporation may be formed to operate for some religious, charitable, educational, literary, or scientific purpose. These five purposes are usually included as purposes accepted by the individual states as a valid nonprofit corporate purpose.

There is a lot of paperwork that must be submitted-so if you feel your house fits one of these catgories-you should pursue it.

The way the laws are written there can be no issuance of stock or profits for shareholders. Directors and officers can be however be paid.

The alternative to this is for the government to tax these corporations. So If you support Big Government taking a big chunk of money which generally is supposed to be devoted to the above 5 areas than generally you would be against "Tax Exempt" organizations. Some folks favor big government.

Go here for more info: Tax Exempt

I think if you gave it some serious thought you would conclude it is a good thing :)

·
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS
182 Posts
Re: Wel there are a couple of issues..

adc100 said:
First the Organization must:

Under IRS Code 501 (c)(3) a nonprofit corporation may be formed to operate for some religious, charitable, educational, literary, or scientific purpose. These five purposes are usually included as purposes accepted by the individual states as a valid nonprofit corporate purpose.

If I perform satanic rituals in my basement were I sacrafice baby lambs. Would I be eligible for a Tax exemption?

If your part of an Indian Tribe, you dont have to pay state Tax.

·
I like fried Spam
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just brought it up to see what everyone thought really. I see it over and over again here at my job, cause we have a church that owns millions in "church land" that is tax exempt. Just kinda bothers me on a basic level.
I am sure it is in place for a reason, and I aint gonna change it...just bugs me to think something so profitable is untouchable by taxes. Though the profit is for itself, and not for supposed "money making", it still bugs me.

·
★★★★★
8,477 Posts
Da_jester said:
Though the profit is for itself, and not for supposed "money making", it still bugs me.
and sometimes the profit is even for the priests to buy a new Caddy! ::rolls eyes::

lol

·
I like fried Spam
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly. then again I guess if we looked into every taxing loop hole in america, we would probably die before we found them all....but if we did, it might go a long way towards clearing up that national deficeit.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Yea..thats the problem

Da_jester said:
Exactly. then again I guess if we looked into every taxing loop hole in america, we would probably die before we found them all....but if we did, it might go a long way towards clearing up that national deficeit.
If it is set up by the gov it is subject to be abused and f'd up by those who abuse things.

For instance - remember Jim and Tammy Fay Baker and their T.V. Ministries. Old fogies sent them bazillions to build theme park and support their lavish life style. Their dog had an air conditioned dog house. It sucks. But have to take the good with the bad :(

·
I like fried Spam
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I remember that. I think she spent all that cash on eye shadow!

·
Registered
929 Posts
jesse jackson refuses to release his tax info. everyone elses in america is public record.

oh. and most churches help out people through charity...like feeding them, helpin them find a place....or pitchin in for needs of the congragation. but is there a rule sayin if u chose to be a preacher for a livin u got to live poor? now this dont mean drivin rolls royces.....but whats wrong with a pastor havin a decent house, car, clothes?...i mean if corporate presidents can retire and get a 175million dollar severence package, why cant a preacher not drive an 88 civic?

·
Registered
667 Posts
They are receiving tax breaks, because their income is derived from charitable contributions, and donations. Most churches and such are self supported by the members who attend them. Yes, there are a few who will abuse this power for their own gain, but don't let the Jesse Jacksons of the world lead you into believing that all religious organizations are run in this manner.

·
Own3d! by puddy-tats!
501 Posts
^^right. I know my pastor doesn't make a lot as pastor of our church. There are maybe 300 members and there are a lot of bills. They also give to the local Christian radio station in town. So, my pastor actually works a full-time warehouse job during the weekdays to support his family. As for the Jesse Jackson, didn't Falwell also refuse to release how much he makes for a while? He isn't exactly hurting, as I understand it, hes rolling in it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts