B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
spec faif
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im changing my tires, and I want to see the option of fitting some 235 instead of the 225's I had in mind, so if some one has this tire measure give me some feedback specially the rubbing issues, thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ive got a lowered SE, 1.5/1.7" drop, and my 225/45s rubbed like hell in the back till I banged the inner fender lip back, fronts had no issue at all. I would think you would go through the same w/235/40s

·
Banned
1,078 Posts
SoCalB15Racer said:
Ive got a lowered SE, 1.5/1.7" drop, and my 225/45s rubbed like hell in the back till I banged the inner fender lip back, fronts had no issue at all. I would think you would go through the same w/235/40s
ok kool i was wanting to get the 225 but somwhere said if you were lowered or planning on it it would be a good idea to stay with the 215

·
SR20DE
1,154 Posts
running 235-45-17 at stock height. It really fits nice and tight and have not experienced any rub. Try not to go 40 profile because the ride maybe too stiff and you may cause rim damage.

I have seen a couple of Spec-V with NIsmo rims and they are using 225-45-17.

·
Registered
157 Posts
SportE-B15 said:
running 235-45-17 at stock height. It really fits nice and tight and have not experienced any rub. Try not to go 40 profile because the ride maybe too stiff and you may cause rim damage.

I have seen a couple of Spec-V with NIsmo rims and they are using 225-45-17.
45's are too high for me...235/40/17 are the same as stock height, and should only be 3/4" wider than the 215/45's.

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
david_r said:
well im changing my tires, and I want to see the option of fitting some 235 instead of the 225's I had in mind, so if some one has this tire measure give me some feedback specially the rubbing issues, thanks!
I wouldn't worry so much about rubbing issues as whether these would even fit on your rims. The approved rim width range for 235/40R17 is 8.0"-9.5", so unless you are running 17x8 you're out of luck.

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
exactly what i was going to say;)......if you want to run 235s get a set of 15x8s or 16x8s........you're asking for trouble if you're running 235s on a 17x8 rim

Late,
Daniel

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sunburst03 said:
exactly what i was going to say;)......if you want to run 235s get a set of 15x8s or 16x8s........you're asking for trouble if you're running 235s on a 17x8 rim

Late,
Daniel
Why would you be asking for trouble on a 17x8? An 8" is plenty wide enough, and the 40 aspect would be an identical hieght to stock?

·
SR20DE
1,154 Posts
Using 235-45-17 on stock Spec-V rims. I aske my tire guy to get the widest tires that rim could handle.

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
you're looking at issues with the outside shoulder of the tire rubbing the very inside of the lip of the fenders if you run a 235 on a 17 inch rim......unless you roll your fenders;)

as for running 235s on stock Spec rims........very very bad idea......i can't even begin to tell you how dangerous that is.......besides the fact that 235s are really only recommended for a minimum of an 8 inch wide wheel......they can fit on a 7.5 inch wide rim........but nobody really recommends that b/c the tire is barely holding onto the rim b/c it (the tire) is so wide........now if you're running 235s on the stock 7 inch wide rims i can tell you i wouldn't feel safe getting into your car......its just a matter of time before you hit a hard enough bump or put enough lateral Gs on the tire and cause it to unseat the bead and you lose your tire:eek:

Late,
Daniel

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sunburst03 said:
you're looking at issues with the outside shoulder of the tire rubbing the very inside of the lip of the fenders if you run a 235 on a 17 inch rim......unless you roll your fenders;)

as for running 235s on stock Spec rims........very very bad idea......i can't even begin to tell you how dangerous that is.......besides the fact that 235s are really only recommended for a minimum of an 8 inch wide wheel......they can fit on a 7.5 inch wide rim........but nobody really recommends that b/c the tire is barely holding onto the rim b/c it (the tire) is so wide........now if you're running 235s on the stock 7 inch wide rims i can tell you i wouldn't feel safe getting into your car......its just a matter of time before you hit a hard enough bump or put enough lateral Gs on the tire and cause it to unseat the bead and you lose your tire:eek:

Late,
Daniel
Damn, I might have to get the 225/40/17 nitto's then. I was hoping the 235's would work on a 7.5" rim.

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
i mean you can use them......but if it was me i wouldn't use 235s on 7.5s.....i would just squeeze the 7.5s into a set of 225s.......i think that you'll get more of a contact patch with the 225s stretched over 7.5s rather than 235s layed over 7.5s;)

Late,
Daniel

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
Sunburst03 said:
You might want to edit this, it has the potential to confuse people.

Tread width is not the only factor when determining whether a tire fits on a rim, sidewall ratio is just as important and you neglected to mention this in any of your posts. The lower the sidewall number, the wider the rims needs to be. Case in point:

235/45R17 - fits on 7.5" - 9.0"
235/40R17 - fits on 8.0" - 9.5"

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I was considering 225 50 16 on some rota slipstreams 16x7 ... think they'll fit?

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
Definitely, 225/50R16 is approved for rim widths 6.0" - 8.0", and actually tested on a 16x7 by most manufacturers if you look at the spec sheet for any given tire. I was going to run this size in the Kumho MX on my Konig 16x7 before I jumped into Tony's Si for autox competition.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
That's the tire I was looking at as well... Kumho MX at that size... MMMMM The Rota GB also is going to make things nice and easy for me to get that as well...

Pretty convenient... I'm on the indicators for my front tires.. and my rears are at around 50 % tread.. I'm gonna rotate and balance ASAP. I'll have my wheels just in time for a NEEDED tire replacement. :D

Thanks for the info Mr. Fury that happens to be dangling.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts