B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a Sentra but can't decide between the GXE or SE. Can someone tell me if there is really a noticable difference between the 1.8 and 2.0 engines? I like the fuel economy and cost of the GXE, but all the best reviews seem to be of the SE. For the record, I'd use this Sentra for everyday commuting to work (mixture of city and highway) and the occassional long distance weekend trip. A pleasant ride is very important to me, but I test drove the SE and really liked the acceleration, and the ride seemed to feel pretty good.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
well I'm kind of biased towards the SE, I like the feel of the engine, look of it, and it has been around for awhile. I push the pedal a lot on each tank of gas, but most of the time I only shift a 3000, I'm getting 32 mpg right now. So it can get good mileage, even with some lead foot every once in awhile, as long as you dont redline it every shift. Which ever one you get I would recommend the manual, since they do get better gas mileage, and are known to last longer, and more fun :)

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Yeah, I'm kinda biased to the SE, too. I love this car. My deciding factors were more other things however. I wanted the fog lights and spoiler but the GXE with the foglights and spoiler cost just 1K less than the SE... and I figured with the SE I get the engine (which I felt more acceleration and more power in general with) 16 in wheels and the 180 watt sound system... it was hands down/no contest for me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I got a GXE but I'm kinda biased to the SE also. I had some terrible gas millage because i was pressing damn hard in order to make the car to move faster...

·
Registered
605 Posts
It's smooth sailing with the SE. The suspension is stiff, but not too stiff. It's a pretty good balance between ride quality and cornering ability.

Edmunds.com gave it number one for all "compact" sedans (even thought he sentra isn't a compact,hehe). SCC named it one of the 10 best for 2001. How much better can you get? Retail and performance review companies both give it two thumbs up!

I am very Bias towards the SE because I have never driven a GXE. From what everyone says, the GXE is good, but the SE is better. I am just jealous of the GXE's ability to get better mileage!!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
2 letters for ya SE

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
SE

I'm older and real practical and came close to not buying the SE. I would be kicking my *** from here to tomorrow had I not gotten the SE. The added durability, and reliability of SR20DE engine (probably) is more than worth the money. On the other hand I didn't feel I needed the PP stuff, even though it's a tremendous buy. I took that money and bought the extended warranty. Not going to mod anyway. If you can afford it buy the SE-even stripped down. I have floor mats/auto trans-period.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you wanna be different, get an XE. I haven't seen too many of those on the roads, just GXEs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No harm done...

If you can field the bottom-line, I support the consensus here and suggest the SE as well...

I started low when I first starting researching the new Sentra and looked at the XE with the "Value Option Package", but the benefits (in features) heavily supports the arguement in favour of the GXE.

I was able to get an great deal on my 5spd GXE Touring Edition - so much so that after my "additions", the total arrived I what I expected to pay for a GXE without the extras.
The dealer was more flexible with the pricing than expected given Sentra's record sales here and resulting Fair Market Value.

Unfortunately the gap between my GXE and an entry-level SE was simply too great, but I do not feel entirely cheated for not extending to the SE - For most practical purposes the 1.8L is not tremendously overburdened and the torque-peak at lower engine speed (@2400rpm) than typical is noticable when driven back-to-back with similar power-to-weight ratio vehicles in the class.

I'm just forwarding a perspective from a non-SE owner -
If your budget tops out at a GXE and the SE is out of reach, do not look immediately elsewhere, the GXE remains one of the most competitively priced and best equipped car in this class.

Good Luck!
Make mine an SE-R!

·
Registered
783 Posts
I got the GXE and am very happy with it, but that was before I found out about the SR20DE history. If I was getting one now, I would probably go for the SE. In addition to the engine upgrade, the SE has four wheel disks, suspension improvements, and bigger wheels/tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't own a B15. But if I may offer my 2 cents. Get the SE if you can afford it.. If it is beyond your reach, go ahead with the GXE, but do not buy the auto option. Spend that grand or so on something else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thankx

Thanks for the comments. Believe it or not, I don't know how to drive a stick so I'll need to get an auto trans. I'd be curious to know more about the engine problems with the 1.8 that some folks mentioned. Guess I'll have to do a search on that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Slushbox...

If you are buying the auto I'd definitely suggest the SE, but it's going to cost you extra.
I have been shuttled around town during servicing in a GXE equipped with the auto and the car takes on a completely different demeanor - had I had no option other than the auto when I first test drove the Sentra equipped with the QG18DE (fortunately they had two sticks on the lot at the time), I probably would not have bought it based on my impressions...
If you are able, try both the GXE and SE in auto format before you make your descision - you may find the GXE to still meet your needs, but if the acceleration/performance is ranked very highly on your list, the SE likely to be the choice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The GXE is cool if you dont want to race. It has alot
of features. The stereo is just ok, it drives quiet and smooth. The tires are smaller and you would have to buy
rims if you dont like the stock tires it comes with.

Otherwise it has plenty of get up go when you need it. I dont know how fast a automatic is. I have a 5 speed and usually manuals have better gas milage and are faster in general, regardless if its a SE or GXE.

Good luck

[Edited by whozdatgryl on 05-28-2001 at 01:45 AM]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts