B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm having a problem with the temp guage in my 02 SpecV. The guage has started acting funny and I got a 0118 code earlier today. So I called my friend who is a parts dept manager at my local Nissan dealer, and he said that the Thermal Sensor and Water valve are common problems with Nissan.... But where the hell are these things????

Any help would be great..

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
^^^ thanx for the link but thats not the Thermal Sensor. What I'm looking for is the single wire Thermal Sensor. This is what works the temp guage. What is in the link is what talks to the ecu and runs the fans.

*** edit I the water valve housing is what is showen in the linked pic****

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
cburwell said:
One thing I did not realize (I just figured this out today while playing around).

There are two coolant temperature sensors:
1) Coolant temperature sensor. Has a push-on connector (similar to that found on the TPS). As far as I can tell this is what is used to control the fans. When I unplugged this and started the engine, the fans immediately started running.

2) Thermal temperature sensor (this is what it is called in the FSM). This is the sensor right next to the CTS (#1), which has a single spade connection. This is used to send a signal to the temperature sensor on the gauge cluster.

They are two different parts and they control two different things. I think even if the thermal sensor is not working your fans should still function.
I think duder means the one you want is right next to the other one. I haven't had to fix mine yet, yet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
???? Have you opened up your hood lately? My 02 SpecV has only 1 item in the water valve housing which is exactly what is listed on that pic. I have also been told that it mounts to the back of the head. I just dont see where it mounts. I'll go take pics of my car..

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
I'll check it out at lunch; i honestly can't remember.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is my wifes car as it sits now. Yes 02 SpecV "6" Speed

This looks just like the linked pick with no thermal temp sensor

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
You are right; i didn't see another sensor on mine either. Sorry man; i don't know where that damn thing is.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are the parts I picked up yesterday.

L-R
Vater Valve (was told this in needed to keep the head temps up because the QR has no EGR system 95 deg C)
Thermostat mounts on front of block (82 deg C)
Engine Coolant Sensor

Down front is the problem, where the hell dose this stupid thermal sensor go.....AAAAAHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
12 Posts
So did you ever find both sensors?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bringing an old thread back to life. But Its better than starting a new thread. I am having the same issue and cant find this stupid sensor. I've also found it online called the "Coolant temperature sender." Regardless, I really need to find it if anyone knows where its located.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I didnt find the sensor, but I did realize it is my actual gauge that is messed up. One time when it spiked I just tapped on the gauge a few times and it went back down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Damn depressing to be here at the bottom and still nobody has posted the location of the coolant temp sensor. Can't find data on a mad reground so par for the course

1 - 14 of 14 Posts