B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the topic and haven't found too much help so I'll just ask.

I've got the stock SE rims/tires - 195/55 16

How much difference performance-wise will 205/40 17s or 215/40 17s do (say at 19-20 lbs each)? (I was thinkin perhaps the Konig Villains).

And how much will my speedometer or odometer be affected?

·
Registered
446 Posts
all i know is that the ride quality will now suck donkey balls with 40 series tires on it.

-iLL

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
iLLt3cK said:
all i know is that the ride quality will now suck donkey balls with 40 series tires on it.

-iLL
I totally beg to differ. Brandon's SE with 17's and 205 40's are not that bad.

Alex said:
How much difference performance-wise will 205/40 17s or 215/40 17s do (say at 19-20 lbs each)? (I was thinkin perhaps the Konig Villains). [/b]
Performance from stock would definitely increase in handling. You're going to have wider tires and smaller sidewalls, which improves on lessening tire flex and has bigger contact to the ground. You'll find that 40's and 17's calls for watching out for those potholes or protrusions of the road that you would normally not care with stock. I think stock even can get a little harsh once in awile. BTW: Konig Villains would like pretty tight. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think 205/40ZR17's ride great. If you wanted a luxury car then you should have bought one, if you want cornering performance then you will have to live with the ride.

When I upgraded I noticed a few things: Your car will ride stiffer (I used 42psi front 41.5 rear for the street, 46psi front 44psi rear for racing), corner better (due to higher performance tires if you buy them) and the car will react quicker with the shorter sidewalls, you will lose about .2 to .3 in the 1/4 mile over a 14-15" wheel due to the extra inertia to turn it. It is worth it though IMO

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Kevin, that is a bad *** picture man. :)

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Dude, that is tight! Great photography man! Gives me some ideas about my car and my site. :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
205/40-17 will be too small and will throw off your speedo. Get either 215/45-17 or 215/40-17. You speedo will only change by like 1 or 2% which is not noticable.

The ride is not that bad with 40 or 45 series tires. The SE already has a kinda stiff ride so you won't even feel the difference.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Kevin C.---'01 SR20DE said:
I think 205/40ZR17's ride great. If you wanted a luxury car then you should have bought one, if you want cornering performance then you will have to live with the ride.

When I upgraded I noticed a few things: Your car will ride stiffer (I used 42psi front 41.5 rear for the street, 46psi front 44psi rear for racing), corner better (due to higher performance tires if you buy them) and the car will react quicker with the shorter sidewalls, you will lose about .2 to .3 in the 1/4 mile over a 14-15" wheel due to the extra inertia to turn it. It is worth it though IMO

Are You Serious! You'd lose .3 in the quarter. How do you know this???

·
Registered
119 Posts
I ran 5 runs with 17" wheels, then 5 runs with 14" wheels, averaged the results, and came up with .2 to .3

Those tests were done with a GtechPro, which is not the most accurate thing for 1/4 mile timing, but it is consistant with its times. It was also ran with a modified neon, not my sentra. So, take it for what it is worth to you.

14.2 secs (14" wheels) vs. 14.5 secs (17" wheels)

At a roadrace track, the bigger (and better, depending on brand & model) tires help for better cornering and MORE than make up for the lost acceleration. 17's are worth it IMO.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
iLLt3cK said:

-iLL
I have to totaly dissagree with you highly on this statement,,,I am running 215/40/17's with sportlines on and my ride isn't that bad at all....trust me on this one

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Dude sweet Photo

Kevin C.---'01 SR20DE said:
Thanks, here's another one you might enjoy.

I like that pic alot...Like Marvin stated It gave me some ideas....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts