B15 Sentra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
2003 spec v

hey i just bought my 03 spec v. with rebuilt motor, has about 1,100 miles so far runs strong have a aem intake. looking for a stock muffler im southern cali.let me know.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
'01 SE PP currently at 286,XXX Kms
I'd consider a road trip to Minnesota for a low mile SE!

·
2002 Sentra GXE Owner
508 Posts

Still tooling around in my 2002 Sentra GXE (with Synergy Package) that I bought at the end of 2001. I'm going to hand it down to my son in January of 2015 - after he gets his license. He just has his permit now.....and we're in NO HURRY for him to be turned loose on Virginia's roads.

I just threw some new tires on it (Bridgestone Ecopia - 195/60/15) in March. I believe they are inferior to the Michelin Pilots they replaced......but they cost a lot less. I also had an alignment done (terrible potholes this year) and the flex pipe (expensive) had to be replaced to pass inspection. I also needed a motor mount (the second one) replaced; which made shifting gears buttery smooth once again.

I had the car repainted the OEM Molten Silver color in 2012, had all new struts installed, paid mucho dinero for a new head gasket, new plugs, new wires, new water pump, new oxygen sensors and all new belts & hoses. I have spent more in the past two years on the car than it is worth -- so I doubt I will sell it and I know my son will be getting a reliable car that has had one owner (me) and has been cared for meticulously.

My OEM wheels (the five-spoke 15" alloys) are really looking like crap, so I bought some sandpaper and some flat black spray paint. I'm going to tackle that chore in the near future. They are a bit worn from 12 years of metallic brake pad dust (drums in the rear, at least) and one of them has some - OUCH! - curb rash that I hope to be able to fix.

Car still has the original clutch (although I did have to replace the clutch cylinder about three years ago) after 150,000 miles and the rear drums & shoes are still going strong. I replaced the front disc brake pads once in 2007 or 2008 and they just passed state inspection last month. My Sentra still has the factory exhaust system (aside from that expensive flex pipe), but the mechanic said it might last one more year - two if I am very lucky. That's not too shabby, I reckon.

The interior has very little wear - even on the driver's seat; but there are some stains here and there on the carpet. Headliner looks good, one of my map lights is broken and will not work at all (not the bulb) and I had to duct tape the sunglass holder shut because it falls open when you go over railroad tracks or hit a bump. Dashboard looks good - save for a small crack in the lid over the center storage compartment. Both little doors that cover the lighted mirrors have fallen off, so the little lights come on when you fold them down. A little piece of duct tape came in handy for them. :)

The car runs very strong, uses very little oil (always use 5w30 synthetic in it) and there are no rattles or squeaks inside. Part of the plastic door panel wants to pop off every now and then on the right rear passenger side; but that is not too bad for a car that will be thirteen years old in September.

I have a 2004 Silverado that is my "toy" for weekends - while the Sentra is pretty much relegated to commuter duty. It gets twice the fuel mileage as my truck, so it is better to buy 11 gallons of gas in a week versus 25.

When my son gets the Sentra (if he shows good behavior & more responsibility), I'll likely keep the Silverado (paid for long ago) for weekends and hauling -- and get an Elantra, Focus, Civic or something like that to replace it. My plan is to get a new car early in 2015. My employer is moving our facility to a new site 35 miles away (versus 25 miles now), so a car with a rating of more than 30 mpg will be crucial for me.

Sorry for rambling.....but that is pretty much the story of my Sentra B15. ;-)

·
2002 Sentra GXE Owner
508 Posts

35,000 miles on a 2000 model car?

Wow!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Garage kept elderly woman owned she drove it to the grocery store once a week. Got it for $4600 with new tires and a new paint job really good deal.

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
Mine is a 2002 SE-R with the 5 speed and about 140,000 miles. It is not my primary vehicle now.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It finally happened:

Actually, this was about a week ago. Had to pull into a parking lot to snap the picture.

2001 SE w/PP, bought new in October 2000.

·
2002 Sentra GXE Owner
508 Posts

2002 GXE 1.8L, five-speed, Synergy Package -- approaching 158,000 miles. It runs great and still gets very good fuel economy.

I have owned it since new (late 2001) and it is now my 'third' car. I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado and recently purchased a brand-new 2015 Nissan Altima 2.5 S. I am thinking of handing down the Sentra to my 16-year-old son or selling it outright in April or May.

I had it repainted in 2012 (OEM color - Molten Silver). In July of 2012, I had the head gasket, water pump, all belts & hoses replaced....along with new sensors and spark plugs. I had to get a new 'flex pipe' (exhaust) last year and just recently had the rear brake drums (original equipment) and shoes replaced. The only bad thing about my Sentra is that the A/C system quit working and is cost-prohibitive to replace.

I have already put more money into it than it is worth, so whomever gets it will get a good deal....if I don't give it to my son. If he gets his mom's car, then I'll sell it. If not, then he's going to get the Sentra if he can master driving a stick-shift vehicle.

Nice to see my fellow Sentra owners getting some good use out of their rides!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Close to 170,000 mi. 2001 GXE (1.8) 5 speed MT. Runs great. Still on the factory clutch. No problems with the engine or engine accessories yet. Doesn't burn much oil, maybe add 1/2-1 quart in the ~6000 mile change interval. Close to 40 MPG highway. Have always used M1 5w-30 engine oil. Now using Amsoil man. trans. oil., after 20,000 miles or so of this, good stuff I think. Best features of the car for me are the comfortable and pleasant driver accomodations, amazingly huge trunk, good torque at normal revs engine and easy-shifting transmission that make driving this MT car drama-free, fun handling even if not as good as some other factory-stock small cars, and the excellent fuel economy. With this mileage & higher, problems that can leave me stranded become a higher probability. I'm a one-person and one-car household, a disabled car is more of a problem for me than for some others maybe. This plus the rust popping out in the doors & rocker panels has me thinking of getting something new/newer.

·
2002 Sentra GXE Owner
508 Posts

I sold my 2002 Sentra GXE a few weeks ago - with 162,000 miles on it. My friend's 20-year-old nephew bought it from me, so I hope it serves him well. I had fixed or replaced nearly everything that could have gone wrong with the car. The head gasket, all belts & hoses, oxygen sensors, flex pipe, two of the three motor mounts and the struts were all done in 2012. I also had it repainted that year (same Molten Silver color).

Last year, it got four new tires (Bridgestone Ecopia), new front brake pads + rotors, rear brake shoes (the original ones were still on there!) and new drums. The clutch master + slave cylinders were replaced last May, too. The new owner definitely got his money's worth for just $3,000.00 and a handshake. The A/C quit working in 2014, but the car runs quite well and is reliable. It still has the original clutch disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing.....which seem to be in good order.

I will miss my Sentra, but did not need three vehicles. I have (purchased new last October) a 2015 Nissan Altima 2.5S and a 2004 Chevy Silverado pickup that I intend to keep for quite awhile. I had planned to give the Sentra to my son, but my ex-wife gave him her 2005 Mazda Tribute SUV instead. It all worked out well.

Good luck to all of you with your Sentra sedans!!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts