B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question, but I am new to Nissans. I have a 1.8L GXE and the manual says to use 91 AK or something (Dont have the manual in front of me)...Anti-knock rating.
However, I am pretty confident 87 octane is not a problem, I dont hear any pings...couldn't imagine having to run high grade fual through it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't have a GXE, but I can guarantee that you can easily and safely run 87 octane. Its pretty much the base sentra, so the average joe consumer doesn't want performance out of it, just a cheap reliable daily driver, nissan wouldn't make them pay out the *** for premium.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
91 AK is 87 octane... running anything more than 87 in a gxe is a waste of money...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
just so you know, my mom has a gxe, and I used to own a gxe as well.

besides it does not take a rocket scientist to know that nissan recommendation are well founded when you consider that the compression ratio on the qg18de is pretty low, and that it does not have a turbo... why would it need anything better??

·
Registered
431 Posts
i have a gxe and run 87...no problems

·
Registered
948 Posts
87. Our timing isn't easily adjustable, so it's not like you're going to be able to gain power by burning the extra octane in higher grade fuel.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
JAYDOGG said:
i uise 93. but that is b/c i beat the hell out of it and on top of that i have been getting 30-34 mpg on the highway so what the hell.
I'm not suprise you get 30-34 mpg... with all your mods your car must be pretty efficient (sp?)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Octane said:
I'm not suprise you get 30-34 mpg... with all your mods your car must be pretty efficient (sp?)
hell i would probally get more if i had lightweight 15's and tires. i bet the hell out of the car. damn things sees the rev limiter more than tony get some pu$$y.

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
You should make your timing advance JAYDOGG then if you run 93 all the time. Will make your BTDC to 11° instead of 9° and giving you a little boost in the 5000-6500RPM range.

But otherwise, 87 octane is more than fine.

The anti-knock index (AKI) is often used in Europe but here, it's still octane rating. It's two differents unit but they measure the same thing, the point were the fuel could be compressed without self-ignited, aka knock.

It's like saying km and miles. They both measure distance but theses are 2 differents units, thu differents number for the same distance.

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
Use 87 octane. No reason to use 91 or 93 in a gxe. I use 93, well, because I have to, LOL

that and for people with timing advance they should.

even full bolt ons should only run 87.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
chimmike said:
Use 87 octane. No reason to use 91 or 93 in a gxe. I use 93, well, because I have to, LOL

that and for people with timing advance they should.

even full bolt ons should only run 87.
i know that i should but when i autox i use 94 and i try to run at about 1/4 a tank. the next time i 1/4 mile it up i think some race gas is going to go in. just about 1 gallon or so. just enought for my runs. i think that my car runs better with 93 so that is what i keep in it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts