B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
True what?
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up fellas? I recently got a 2004 Sentra SE-R (3 weeks ago), and I was planning on waxing her this weekend. What brand of wax do you all recommend using? If Im gonna spend my time and money I would rather do it the right way. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Tyler

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
1-zaino
2-mothers
3-meguiars Gold Class

stay away from the cheaper stuff, just not worth the time and effort

and since your paint is new, you should stick to carnuba wax for the first couple of times... (the meguiars liquid gold contains a bit of petrolium distilates which can slow down the curing process of new paint)

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Here are a couple of tips:

1)Rest assured, the paint on your car is cured. When they paint it, the bake it before putting the trim on, which pretty much cures it before it leave the assembly line (this is not the case for a repaint job, because the oven would melt the trim, so curing takes some time in open air)

2)You'd be surprised to see how much microscopic crap is stuck on your paint when you get the car new. They're brought over from Mexico by rail, and they pick up rail dust and alot of other contaminants. You should really use the Mother's clay bar to get rid of that junk. It takes about 1 hour to do a sentra with it.

3)If you're going to do a really good job, go over the car with a coat of polish before waxing. Both Meguiar's and Mothers have them, and they seem to work equally fine.

4)Meguiar's Gold Class liquid is really good, but it's not the easiest to work with. Once dry you need two cloths to buff it. The first one will quickly become saturated with dry way, and you will need a second clean one to get the rest of the fine residue off. The shine is really, really good though.

·
No more Spec
2,549 Posts
Zaino is the best but the Mcguires aint bad for something you can pick up at the auto store.

·
I like fried Spam
383 Posts
I have been using meguires wax for years, great stuff. they have a three step process that works wonders on older paint or a car that really has not been waxed enough.
Mothers makes very good products also.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
RFMan said:
Here are a couple of tips:

1)Rest assured, the paint on your car is cured. When they paint it, the bake it before putting the trim on, which pretty much cures it before it leave the assembly line (this is not the case for a repaint job, because the oven would melt the trim, so curing takes some time in open air)

do a search for an email from one of PPG paint experts posted a while back... I remember the guy saying that modern paints need to be exposed to the heat and sun for a longer period of time for the molecular bond in the paint to be perfect... car that were on the dealer lots for longer chipped less because they had been in the sun longer.... it was also stated that petroleum distalates could ( like valsol) soften up the clear coat.

·
Registered
667 Posts
A factory paint job is only gonna look so good. It hasn't been wet sanded......hell, it was applied by a robot!! Stick with Meguiars Gold Class, and you will be really happy. If you want it to look nicer, you may have to fork out a few grand for a new (but nice) paint job.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
Clay first; no question.
Either Meg's Gold Class or Mothers Pure Carnauba will give you a great shine, and last about equally long. If you want a little better protection, use paste wax instead of liquid. It's a bit of a PITA to apply & buff, but tends to last longer.
Synthetic products like Zaino are easy, cheap (If you break down how much you use per application, and how long it lasts) and last up to a year versus any carnauba that will last up to 3 months.
But most are mail-order, although you can order right off Zaino's website.

Again- make sure you clay first (Clay-Magic from Wal-Mart is a hidden gem. Mothers clay system is available everywhere), and then use a 100% pure carnauba. If you're doing the extra step of pre-prep, don't waste your time & energy with a cleaner wax.

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
3M and Meguairs make good product, too.

But Zaino has done this for my then over 2 ½ year old daily driven SE:

100% won't use anything else. Nice shine, easy to apply, not to expensive, and lasts 6 months between applications.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts