B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Jersey Sentra
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - been trying to figure out if this is normal.

As the weather has gotten warmer, I've noticed that when my car has been sitting in the parking lot at work all day and I go out to use it, even after a 15-20 minutes if I run the blower - I'm still getting pretty warm air. - Is there really THAT much warm air in the engine that it takes a good run at high speed to get it out?

See, my trip home starts in a really bad stretch of road that usually gets me stuck in at least 15-30 minutes of traffic. Once I get past that and I am on the NJ Turnpike I can open it up at 85, after about 5-10 minutes of that all the warm air seems to be gone. But that first 15-30 minutes that I sit in that traffic, if I turn on the blower, I get warm air, not the cooler air that is actually outside. It's rather depressing, especially since I can open all the windows and sunroof, and would love to have some COOL air blowing on me. Yeah I can put the AC on but I feel kind of stupid with AC on and all the windows and stuff open. I never noticed this on my old Maxima (but maybe it did it). I guess I could always turn on the recirc air button, do you think that would help.

Oh yeah, my temp gauge is normal (below the halfway point).

Anyone else notice this problem too?

--*Rob

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Hmm......well, this is my car's second summer, and just yesterday I decided on the open windows/open sunroof deal while driving around town. I'm funny like that though, because when I do want AC, I turn it on with the windows open to blow the hot air out. Normally the air is totally hotter than outside, so I would imagine when you first start driving, the hot air is all pent up inside, even if the air outside the car is colder. The AC for me takes care of that real quick. I think the AC works pretty well, even on really hot days. :) I believe what your getting is normal for me, because I'll have to run the car a bit to get the air to start getting colder even with AC on.

If you're worried, and you don't get a good answer here, I would definitely take it to the dealership and get an answer.

G

·
In the owners manual, Nissan tells you that the most effective way to ventilate a hot car is to put the A/C on with the windows open. :)

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
maxximtl said:
In the owners manual, Nissan tells you that the most effective way to ventilate a hot car is to put the A/C on with the windows open. :)
Heheh Max...I knew I wasn't trippin when I had the AC on full blast with the windows open. My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts. :p

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just had our first truly warm day around here since I bought my Sentra,
and I noticed the same thing. At first
I thought I had the heat on! Obviously the outside air
that makes it into the car is being heated by the engine,
which kinda sucks if you don't want to have to turn on the
air to cool off. I mean it was like 75 degrees outside, but the air felt like 110. :)

Turning on the recirc. button would probably help, but
I haven't tried it yet.

I'm going to trace the route for the fresh air intake.
Maybe we need a CAI for the interior of the car too! :D

[Edited by UtahJ on 05-10-2001 at 03:29 PM]

·
Registered
93 Posts
From what I have read, and not just in owners manuals, but in auto columns and stuff, it is best to open the windows for the first couple of minutes that you are driving around to get the hot air in the car out and to let the AC get cold, then you close your windows and then you get nice air. Also, the recirc button will provide you with not only more powerful air, but it saves on gas too. I'm surprised that more people don't use the recirc setting on thier AC units. I get horribly hot air when i have accidently turned the recirc button off, but the second it goes on, i can already start to tell the difference in temperature.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Fresh air intake..

is located on the driver's side below the windshield. There is a gasket between the engine compartment and inlet. Probably a darker (black) car at slow speed would heat up the air more using the hood.

I also try to park so the sun doesn't directly hit the dashboard, also those reflective sunshades work wonders, keeping the windows cracked helps.

Yea, people should use the recirc mode as it does make air more eficient and saves gas.

·
Registered
26 Posts
not too sure but......

i have always thought that the car needs the engine to warm up before it runs best right. So maybe it is taking 10 mins for the engine to warm up and once its warmed up the AC is cold, not sure tho just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
I think the reason the recirc isn't used more is because it builds up moisture from your breath, and causes premature wearing to the A/C system. Only use it for immediate, short-term cooling.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Y2K SE said:
I think the reason the recirc isn't used more is because it builds up moisture from your breath, and causes premature wearing to the A/C system. Only use it for immediate, short-term cooling.
That's an interesting thought. It nakes sense since my truck is pretty humid once i have had the ac on and then i leave it in the sun for a little bit and get back in to this muggy vehicle. Although i just thought it did that because of the cold air being warmed up. Of course a true air conditioner recirculates air, so wouldn't recirc be the best method? I've always used it and have never had a problem with the ac system having problems, until about the time that it should.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Y2K SE said:
Wow, is this true?? I've never heard of this, it's really interesting. I constantly have it in Recirc. I had thought it was alright because with all the damn pollen around here, I didn't want to get it in the car. With the A/C, the recirc is much more powerful at lower settings. Can someone enlighten me more about recirc? I kinda never knew it had that great of impact, or it might just be me. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
frontierboy said:
That's an interesting thought. It nakes sense since my truck is pretty humid once i have had the ac on and then i leave it in the sun for a little bit and get back in to this muggy vehicle. Although i just thought it did that because of the cold air being warmed up. Of course a true air conditioner recirculates air, so wouldn't recirc be the best method? I've always used it and have never had a problem with the ac system having problems, until about the time that it should. [/B]
You car's interior is much, much smaller than, lets say, oh, a house. And on your home's air conditioner, there is a drain off line to allow moisture to condense into water and be removed from the a/c. I know this because in my last apartment, this line was broken and would constantly leave a puddle in my utility closet.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Recirc..

The reason to use recirc is that when you bring in outside air especially on a hot day you have to cool air that is hotter than the air in the car which makes the compressor work harder and uses more power (gas) to run it. You will not get moisture buildup in the car because the evaporator (cooling coils in the vent unit) condenses the moisture in the air and remove it as water. This moisture (water)drips from the unit through a tube (wet spot under car). If you are getting moisture buildup, the tube is plugged.

There have been recommendations that the ventilation should be run on recirc if its not too hot to avoid the cooling coils brom getting growth of bacteria on them like in Legionair's Disease. Personally I think its b.s. I think that by taking in more outside air you run more of a risk. Recirc is ***more*** efficient. Anyway if you have an odor when the air is on you need to get those cooler coils professionally cleaned. BTW someone thought the AC would work better after say 10 minutes like the engine warming up. The thing makes cold air instantly, It just takes time to cool the ducts, etc.

Hope this wasn't too basic.

[Edited by adc100 on 05-13-2001 at 05:18 AM]

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
See, I said I think thats why. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think we kind of got off topic...

Robaustin and I were just talking about the hot air that
comes into the car even with the temp. setting all the
way on cold. And we DO NOT want to have to run the AC,
just to cool that air off, since the outside air is cool
enough.

I'll check out the location of the fresh air intake, thanks
adc100.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Original Mr Sentra said:
maxximtl said:
Heheh Max...I knew I wasn't trippin when I had the AC on full blast with the windows open. My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts. :p
even better is when it is cold out to have the heat on full blast with the windows open :D :D :D

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Stupid me

Corrected my post above... recirculation is **more** efficient than bringing in outside air. Stupid..stupid...stupid...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts