B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, I took a black 2001 Sentra SE Sport out for a ride yesterday at a dealer about 30km away from where I live...
This would be my second time testing the Sentra, but first for testing the M-5

At Idle, the stick vibrates like crazy!!! in gear, the vibration is less, but still, it is like a messager. Is it like that for everyone? or just that particular one I drove?
If it is like that, then is there a fix to this? - Hate to bring this up, but my Honda (or Honduh) shift is GREAT, no vibration, the clutch peddal is short, shift is short, it's great. It's gonna be a huge change going to a Sentra... I was hoping for more out of Nissan (after testing a 2000 Maxima SE stick)

The vibration gave me these impression:
1) this car is screwed (just the test car)
2) this car feels like an econo box when it comes to the tranny
3) I would regret this if this cannot be fixed (that is, if a sales comes to me and says "you can't expect much from a compact car" - my Honda dealer said that to me - I'll turn that dealership to a toilet paper dealership... make all the sales sell toilet paper.)

Let me know!

Thanks GUYS!

------------------
Jay
1997 Honda Prelude Type S
Getting a Sentra SE Sport soon! 2 more months

G

·
Well, the Sentra uses solid linkage to connect the shifter to the transmission. It is going to transmit engine vibration since there is a "direct" connect being made. They have rubber grommets to help dampen the vibration, but it still comes through. It doesn't bother me much to tell you the truth.

The Civic might use a cable linkage, which would account for the reduced vibration. It's not to say that the Sentra is a lesser vehicle....just different setups.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd. Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back.
- Place Racing CAI (eventually)
- Stillen Front Spoiler

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Maxximtl
The vibes... guess I have to get use to it... haha. but I'll really have to look in to that rubber gormmets. Will the rubber gormmet reduce the crisp shifting (well... not as crisp as Honduh, but still better than Hyundai, Chevy Caveliar (SP?))

Did you get more of those pictures of your White Sentra? I'll like to see it.
I'm still deciding on black or white!

------------------
Jay

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, forgot to ask... where would I be able to find this rubber grommets?
I really want to look in to this issue

------------------
Jay

·
Registered
778 Posts
well mines vibrates alot at idle, especially at a red light uphill. i guess its cause the sr20 is so superior to a honda that nissan had to make a flaw to keep honda competitive...lol. naw, but i installed a polyurathane bushing and the shifter feels great. for 13 bucks your throws are more definate, it feels stiffer, and you dont misshift as much. dunno how it helps with vibrations though. is this the same thing as the grommets you were talkin bout? well as for the, the bushing is well worth it.

------------------
2000 sentra se
pp, 5spd

G

·
Jay- No I haven't. My front bumper is getting repainted (long story,) and I'm getting my Stillen spoiler installed also. I'll be taking more pictures at that time.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd. Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back.
- Place Racing CAI (eventually)
- Stillen Front Spoiler

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll look into the bushing...

Maxximtl, yah, read your thing about your bumper meets your driveway. Stop banging on them so much :)

------------------
Jay

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone else have the same vibes on their Sentra?
It pisses me off, really, I expected something good like the max, hoping this could be the mini max... doh.
I really gotta find a way to minimize the stick vibes without compromising the crisp shifting...

let me know if anyone else find the same problem and has a fix! :)

------------------
Jay

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yeah... I complained about the vibes to this
forum when I first bought my car. You can
feel it through the stick and the steering
wheel.

To tell you the truth, after 7500 miles, I
don't even notice it anymore. You'll get used to it.

------------------
2001 Sentra SE, PP, 5-Speed, Sunroof.

PR CAI (in da mail), Kenwood KFC-1738Cs (in da back), gas cap holder (on da side)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you think I can change it to a cable setup like hondas?

anything to keep the vibration down is good

------------------
Jay

·
Registered
4 Posts
i like feeling the vibes. it gives you a feel for the car, but if you dont like it then im sure there is some kind of fix for it like adding rubber dampiners to the stick itself

------------------
2kSentra se w/pp heatwave
jwt pop, hs headers, smc ss, tint, custom exhaust, timing 18 degrees, momo combat shift knob

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah, the vibes are ok. At first they were wierd, but after 2 months of driving you get used to it and it doesnt bother you.

------------------
Charles

2001 Sentra SE
Inferno with HyperWhite lights
PR CAI on the way, looking into Stromung Exhaust

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think getting use to it is the only REAL fix! :p

------------------
Jay