B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok..plan on changing my pcv valve (sr20) for my 50k tune up but i got a few questions pertaining to the valve cover. I know i have to remove all the bolts that hold it in.

1) there are like 3 hoses that are connected to the engine at the valve cover so how do i remove the hoses? do i just open up those clips? will any fluid come out from those hoses?
2) do I have to just pull out ONLY the spark plug wires or do i have to take out the plugs as well to get the cover off?
3)after the hoses are removed i just lift the cover off right and if doesnt come up easily just use a flat screwdriver to pry it up?

since i have the valve cover off, im gonna just go ahead and paint it. what do i have to do to the cover itself before i sand it? just wipe off the oil from the inside with a paper towel? also, i cant wash the valve cover right? cuz isnt water bad for the engine?

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
1) I don't remember if there are 3 hoses, but they will all just pull right off just move the clamps that are securing them first. Nothing should come spilling out of the hoses.

2) You just have to remove the wires from the tops of the plugs (you should be able to leave the wires plugged into the distributer). You do not need to remove the plugs.

3) Make sure you remove ALL of the bolts that secure the cover, many people forget the one in the middle that is under the plug wires. If you are going to use a screwdriver to pry at it then you might want to buy a new valve cover gasket just in case. Also check the FSM for the order in which you need to remove and reinstall the VC bolts. When you put the VC back on just a little grey RTV to help make a good seal and prevent any leaks.

When you paint it you only want to paint the outside and nothing else. You may need too lightly sand it depending on how dirty it is, you also want to use some degreaser to get the grime off. You should be able to wash the cover as long as you give it ample time to dry, I would just clean the outside though as opposed to washing the whole cover.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Well you really don't need to remove the valve cover as far as I know. The PVC valve should just pull out (as far as I know-someone help me here ). Same with the Plug boots. I would not remove the Valve cover. Its not worth all the trouble.

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok..thats a relief t hat i dont have to remove the plugs..gonna make it so much easier for me. yea i was reading the order for removing the plugs. ill stick to it. uhm im gonna get a new gasket tomorrow from nissan and some of the rtv sealant. will anything else come out when i take the cover off? like will anything pop out or anything that i need to watch out for?

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
No nothing else will pop out when you take the cover off. You might get some oil that will drip from the under side of the cover at the most, but nothing to worry about.

When I reinstalled my valve cover David had me put the RTV on the groove on the head where the gasket fits into. You will see what I am talking about. He also had me just put the sealant in certain spots instead of one long bead. The corners, and dips/cutouts are the places were leaks are most likely.

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks..i really appreciate the quick replies. gonna try to finish the entire tune up process by the end of the weekend

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
uhmmm I am pretty sure the pcv valve just pulls out. It would be stupid for Nissan to make your remove the entire valve cover to remove such a little piece. Its just pressed into place. Just give it a good pull and it will come out. I doubt you really need to replace it anyway. If it still clicks when you shake it, it is in good shape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts