B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Can anyone tell me what the valet key cant do that the regular key can do or vise versa? It doesnt say the functions of the valet key in the instruction book.

-StarCMS

·
Registered
15 Posts
the valet key shouldn't be able to open the trunk.....problem is that the valet can pop the trunk from the inside of the car. You can, however, lock the inside and key fob switches from opening the trunk by flipping the switch inside the trunk--then he can't get in there without the master key

·
Registered
63 Posts
Valet key can not start the engine IF you have engine immobilizer system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zhz said:
I have to disagree with you, the car started fine with the valet key and I have the engine immobilizer system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
?????

zhz said:
Then whats the point of the valet key if the valet cant start the car :confused:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey, That's what the booklet said. I only have plain GXE. The valet key is for dealership to cut another key with a chip inside for you.
What is the point of having immobilizer system if any walmart cut key would work with ignition:confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zhz said:
Hey, That's what the booklet said. I only have plain GXE. The valet key is for dealership to cut another key with a chip inside for you.
What is the point of having immobilizer system if any walmart cut key would work with ignition:confused:
The valet key isnt "any wallmart cut key" It looks exactly like the regular key and has the microchip in it, except the plastic on it is red instead of black.

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
The Sentra Key FAQ:

The valet key can unlock/lock the driver and front passenger door. It can start the car. It can make a decent back scratcher. It cannot do anything else. It cannot open the truck using the lock cylinder - it won't even go into the cylinder.

The valet key is in all other ways like the regular keys. It uses the immoblizer function with the microchip. It stores a randomly-generated code upon each use (65535 possible) and that code must be detected or the car won't start.

It is not for reproducing the car keys. If you have te immoblizer system, the only way to get new keys is through a dealership ordering new keys. You should have had a little metal plate with a number engraved on it. This is the reorder code the dealership needs. DO NOT LOSE IT!. If the necessary codes are not entered in Nissan's computers at the dealership at time of purchase, (generally they aren't, I believe), then this metal plate is the only way you'll ever get another key. Approx cost is $75, each. Each key for the vehicle must then be reprogrammed with the new one.

One can always open the trunk with either
a) regular key,
b) keyless entry keyfob,
c) dash-mounted button,
unless the override switch in the trunk is set. Then only the regular key will open the trunk.

Any questions?

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
I always carry the regular key and remote entry keyfob seperately from all my other keys. On my other keychain, I keep the valet key. This way, if I ever lock myself out, I can get in with the spare. If, and this happened just this last week, a valet parks the car, I can still get in the car without needing them.

Friday, I took my g/f to the hospital for some surgery. The valet parked the car (we arrived around 9:30am). She had to stay overnight, so I left about 7pm. By this time, the valet had left, the general parking attendent was no where to be found. The information attendent thought they had me bent over with no way to get my car until I whipped out my real car keys. In 5 minutes I had my valet key back.

·
Registered
92 Posts
orginally posted by Y2K SE:
It stores a randomly-generated code upon each use (65535 possible) and that code must be detected or the car won't start
then how can you have more then one key for the car?
if you use one key start the car the key gets a new code then you turn off the car get another key how will the other key work it will have a diff code????

that cant be right, it must be like the focus encoded key that has a singel code so that more then one key can be used, however some cars do, do that like Mercs that have only one key(that by the way costs $300 if you need a new one, our keys only cost about $25 each) and only that one key will work

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
The Key FAQ version 1.1

The system allows up to 5 keys to be used for 1 car. The keys must be registered for use before they will work. This tells the computer how many possible values may exist at any one time. So, if you have 3 keys (like mine did: 2 regular, 1 valet), then there can be 3 possible values at any time, out of the 65535 possible, that can start the car.

It might even be able to associate a specific value with a specific serialized key, and be able to pick up on the differences. It would know that this value went with _this_ key, so even if the value is right and the key isn't, it still won't start. I'm not sure if it goes that far in depth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts