B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say, how noticeable are the new pulleys while looking in the engine bay? How hard was the install? Reason I ask is cause I don't wanna give Nissan another reason to rape money from me! Also where is the best deal on them?

-iLL

------------------
2001 Sentra SE w/ Performance Package, Place Racing CAI, Custom Grille,Pioneer DEHP 2000 + 4x TS-1675's

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
talk to william at www.importpartsplus.com and he should give ya decent price for the pulleys he's also a member of the boards as well but the pulley from what i see by looking at where they are aren't that noticable i mean you kinda have to look down in there.....as far as the install i don't know yet and I stress yet i'll be getting them within a couple of weeks ;)

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back,Place Racing CAI (in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

***My Website***

G

·
You can get them in a variety of colors. I believe IPP's are black. They shouldn't be that noticeable. The crank pulley is the very bottom pulley, so it will only be noticeable when looking at the car from underneath.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back.
- Hotshot CAI

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific."

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
oh yeah sorry I almost forgot that www.courtesyparts.com carries Unorthodox Racing but you might still get the better deal with william.......

Hey how about a group buy???
would anyone be interested???
if so let me know and i'll try setting one up....

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back,Place Racing CAI (in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

***My Website***

G

·
I am a little unsure of these pullies. I read an article on another site about the dangers of lightened crank pullies.

http://www.teamfocaljet.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001485.html

Granted, the article is BMW specific, but several good points are made.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back.
- Hotshot CAI

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific."

·
Registered
215 Posts
The sr20/ga16 have internally balanced cranks. They don't rely on the pulley for balance. Mike K. has also said this...

------------------
Help the sentra.net

·
Registered
297 Posts
yep if you start up a Unorthodox Ultra SS 4 Pulley Set Group buy, I would definately be in, IMPP said they can do it for $329 for just me, if we can get them for anything under 300 bucks I am definately in. Guys trust me the power diff. with pulleys is like with the CAI, my brother has it in his SOHC Civic and we were surprised. I will post up on the Group buy section.

------------------
formerly known as JCGator42, 2k1 Nissan Sentra SE w/PP mods: Cold Air Intake by Hotshot, and Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust(on its way over here), and Unorthodox Underdrive 4 pulley set(in a couple of weeks) [email protected]

·
Registered
297 Posts
ohhh yeah, I forgot. Thanks to our internally balanced cranck you dont have to worry about any complications at all from the pulleys.

------------------
formerly known as JCGator42, 2k1 Nissan Sentra SE w/PP mods: Cold Air Intake by Hotshot, and Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust(on its way over here), and Unorthodox Underdrive 4 pulley set(in a couple of weeks) [email protected]

·
Registered
297 Posts
about that article on the BMW pulleys stuff. In our cars you don't have to remove the harmonic dampener, and 85% of the pulleys power comes from their lightened weight and 15% of their power is from underdriving, I would say they underdrive the accessories about 1-5%.

------------------

·
Registered
100 Posts
That Dinan article is very interesting. I personally feel that because of the internal balancing we're pretty safe. Mike K. is confident the underdrive pulleys won't hurt anything, and that's a pretty good endorsement. Maybe someone who's run their engine a long time with these things can tell us when (if at all) their engine crapped out, and why.

Unorthodox claims that customers often call back telling them that the car runs smoother. This tells me that any vibrations are not as much of an issue, now that both crank and pulley are balanced.

Just my two cents, I'm keeping them.

------------------
Waiting for PR CAI, got the Stromung, got the Unorthodox, got a big fat empty "0" in my bank...:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
85% from weight reduction is pure bull****. UR just said that to assure their customers that their pulleys will not cause any problems with the car's charging system and waterpump. How can 2 lbs off the crank pulley free up a few hp? Even 10lbs off each rims won't free up 6hp and the radius of your wheels are much greater than that of the pulley so the inertia of even a 20lb crank pulley will only equal to that of a 6lb wheel. It's should really be 85% hp increase from underdriving at 15% from weight reduction.

·
Registered
297 Posts
hummmmmmm!, ok I will not even respond to that one. how can you compare something done to the rims, to something done on the eng. itself? According to reasearch not just from UR, they found that that the avg. hp gain on a stock car is about 2.0-2.5hp for every pound taken off the crank pulley. Mike K. and others have had no problems, plus they really recommend them. I am sorry but I will take their word for it.

------------------

·
Registered
7 Posts
It doesn't make a difference where the weight is as long as it's on the drive train.
Let's say you're pushing a long cart. Does it matter if you put a 100lb weight on the farther end away from you or if you put the weight right infront of you? No it doesn't matter because you need to apply the same amount of force to move it no matter where the weight is located on the cart. As long as the cart and the weight is in the same system, you combine their mass. Same reasoning applies to the drivetrain system.

·
Registered
297 Posts
ok at least you are making sense now, let me look that up, I dont feel like talking out of my azz cuz I really am not sure about this one, but I am pretty sure like 70% that 1 pound off the crank does a lot more than 1 pound off the wheels, since they are part of the system responsible for making the power. The reason why going to 15's is faster is becuase of their rotating ratio. thus they get to their top speed faster than 16 or 17 inch rims, it's all physics.

------------------

·
Registered
7 Posts
The only difference between extra weight at the beginning of the drive train and at the end is that, they spin at different rates. In first gear, the crank pulley spins faster than the wheels but in 5th gear, every rotation of the crank equals to 1.8(or what ever the ratio) rotation of the wheels. But because the crank pulley is smaller and has a shorter moment arm than the wheels, losing weight on the wheel makes more difference than on the crank pulley. Inertia = MR^2 for a uniform wheel.

·
Registered
297 Posts
whatever I am probably wrong but then again I am probably right, just wait till I get the dyno charts up then we'll see who was right. heheh :)

------------------

1 - 16 of 16 Posts