B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get some opinions on how should i make my 04 SpecV faster. I can't decice if i should get i/h/e and nitro or if i should go turbo. In both cases i would get clutch/flywheel, cams, pulleys and fuel pump. I'd like to know what is safer for my engine. Also i live in chicago so i do a lot city driving. Thanks

·
True what?
1,632 Posts
Basic bolts ons are a good start. Apparently your warranty isn't of any concern cause your talking turbo. IMO wait to install something like that until your warranty is up. And by "nitro" im assuming you mean nitrous. If you want Nitrous than I suggest a dry kit.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if i would go i/h/e route i would wait with the nitrous couple years. I'd like to know if the turbo makes that much difference than i/h/e flywheel, pulleys, clutch, cams and nitous? How is turbocharged car on gas? My gas mileage is high anyway cuz i drive short distance in the city.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Black04SpecV said:
Well if i would go i/h/e route i would wait with the nitrous couple years. I'd like to know if the turbo makes that much difference than i/h/e flywheel, pulleys, clutch, cams and nitous? How is turbocharged car on gas? My gas mileage is high anyway cuz i drive short distance in the city.
How much do you know between naturally aspirated and forced induction? The reason I ask is because you're comparing the two together and asking if the turbo makes that much of a difference. Here on the boards will NOT find any NA car making over 200 whp unless they are spraying. What's the lowest whp that someone is making with 5 psi on the QR25? 219? That's some damn good power right there coming from a turbo kit on very low boost. This also depends on how much money you have what you want your B15 to end up like.

Also, when you ask about "turbo", it's not just the turbo you're installing. It's the entire package, including some of the mods of which you can also have while NA, like flywheel upgrade, pullies, clutch, etc... A turbocharged car on gas is great as long as you're not boosting all over the place. If you drive short distance in the city, then you should be okay just as long as you're not driving it hard to and from work.

Finally, do some research. There's tons of info and a lot of people ready to help you out after you search through a lot of the turbo threads around here. Just make sure you know how it works before you go making a huge decision on boosting or staying NA. There's absolutely nothing wrong with staying NA and spraying. It's just what you want, that's all. Good luck!

·
Registered
869 Posts
man i have had the same kinda question running around im my head.. So ask yourself this one question.. "Where do I see my car say 1 year down the road" If its just he fact that you want speed NOW then just get bolt ons but if you want to maximize performance i would say save ur money. And then go turbo. Higher performance for just a bit more $$$ than I.H.E.NOS This question helped me to make my decision. So i know pass my knowledge onto you. good luck. :D

·
oil leaks blow
2,389 Posts
Original Mr Sentra said:
Here on the boards will NOT find any NA car making over 200 whp unless they are spraying.

Not entirely correct. There are ways to get over that mark, it's just no one has gone far enough to find those kinds of numbers...

Soon enough we'll be seeing some N/A numbers above 200 whp.... ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
ive seen armin (pituala's) car do low low low 13s with bolt ons and n20

if you want the occassional rush and only need that extra power during racing get the n20

if you just want a more powerful car...turbo

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
spec-v-guy said:
Not entirely correct. There are ways to get over that mark, it's just no one has gone far enough to find those kinds of numbers...

You know what I'm talking about. Are there people commonly making over 200 whp on the street? The answer is no. :)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well i guess now i see where is the difference and i want power! So i guess i'm going to go turbo. Next spring i'll do suspension. Spring after that turbo :D ! I realized i want 200+ whp i wanna kick *** b15 cuz i like that car so much. Even bone stock as i have it now (sparco grip pedals are waiting on install :cool: ) its a lot of fun to drive. Thanks for ur input.

·
M07S
2,422 Posts
spec-v-guy said:
That will be awesome. I wonder who will do it though. :p

As for the question of this thread, you really have to understand what you are getting into. I/H/E/P/Flywheel-clutch/BSR/cams will only get you into the upper 100's to low 200's (hp)[EDIT:LOW 200's IS VERY OPTIMISTIC]... nitrous will get you into the mid-to-upper 200's (hp). Turbo will get you into the mid-to-upper 200's, be on all the time and you will spend less. The question is, how deep are your pockets, and what are your goals?

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
JoelAZ said:
That will be awesome. I wonder who will do it though. :p

As for the question of this thread, you really have to understand what you are getting into. I/H/E/P/Flywheel-clutch/BSR/cams will only get you into the upper 100's to low 200's (hp)[EDIT:LOW 200's IS VERY OPTIMISTIC]... nitrous will get you into the mid-to-upper 200's (hp). Turbo will get you into the mid-to-upper 200's, be on all the time and you will spend less. The question is, how deep are your pockets, and what are your goals?
Good post Joel. I'm also interested to see who will be the first NA Spec(or QR powered B15) to achieve 200 whp without nitrous. Isn't that far of a goal for some of the people I know around here, which is awesome. Nothing like a 200+ NA car to drive around. :D

Haha, pockets definitely must be deep! Just make sure you buy ONLY mods that will benefit you when turbocharged to save money. Trust me, that would have easily saved me close to a grand in mods. ;)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My 04 SpecV is my only project for next couple of years. I wanna get on track with it too. So all the extra $$ i make goes to my Spec. I'm single too - that helps a lot :D . Anyway $$ is not an issue. Next summer i wanna get suspension upgrades Nismo shocks & springs nismo bars etc. I'm going nismo spring & shocks because my Spec is my daily driver and i drive in a lot of alleys so i dont wanna have it lowered so much. Than i'm gonna get rotors, brake pads. After that flywheel & clutch, pulleys, cams, fuelpump. And finally after that turbo + safc II. Please tell me if i'm taking the good route with upgrades. I wanna get mostly performance upgrades than body kits and stuff like that. Also warranty is not an issue for me ;).

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
You're probably not going to NEED a fuel pump till you get boosted and you might want to wait on the cams till after the installation.

****, out of all the boosted Spec's, who's running aftermarket cams? :D

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so i can install cams and fuel pump at the same time i'm getting turbo? Also if i get cams and fuel pump will it increase my hp on a turboed engine? Btw: This is my first project car so i dunno kinda what to do so sorry for stupid questions :cool:.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Black04SpecV said:
so i can install cams and fuel pump at the same time i'm getting turbo? Also if i get cams and fuel pump will it increase my hp on a turboed engine? Btw: This is my first project car so i dunno kinda what to do so sorry for stupid questions :cool:.
Okay, I'll answer the fuel pump question because it's up my alley. The stock fuel pump is replaced when installing the turbo kit because getting a better than stock fuel pump allows more fuel to flow, which makes running boost safer. People run turbo with the stock fuel pump, but IMO, dangerously and most of the time too lean. You don't need an aftermarket fuel pump with a NA car.

Cams, I know you don't NEED, but will yield more power if the proper cams are installed. Some cams are too aggressive for a car running a turbo, dealing with cam overlap. As far as the QR25 is concerned, that's why I asked who was running aftermarket cams with their boosted QR's for reference. :)

1 - 20 of 101 Posts