B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im not sure if this belongs here, mods feel free to move if necessary. im am dynamating my entire trunk and while driving today, back seats down, trunk completely empty, about 90% of my road noise is coming from that little vent back in the trunk on the drivers side. now my question is, what is its purpose, and can i just cover it up because its really fricken loud back there all because of this little hole. im going for complete deadening, and that hole makes more noise than that coming through the firewall. thanks!
-anthony
--ps, i searched and couldnt find out what its for-- :D

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Most modern cars have this. Its actually meant so you don't blow out the windows. It allows somewhere for the pressure when closing a door or the trunk to disipate.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
While you have access to it, I'd suggest siliconing it in place.
A bunch of us have had it drop right out and fall from the inside of the rear 1/4 panel, almost losing it. Better to have the vent there, than just a big gaping hole.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
huh. ok, so i shouldnt cover it then. damn it. haha, oh well, at least now i know what its for. thanks guys, i appreciate it!
-anthony

·
Registered
869 Posts
LoL i didnt even know that there was a vent...ill have to look at it when i get my car back

·
Registered
935 Posts
The only part I noticed is that big black box that hangs underneath the car in the rear, I always wondered what the heck that was. seems one could stuff something in the box to baffle the roadnoise alittle w/out sacrificing the functionality.

·
Registered
386 Posts
We need a box that big just to reduce pressure when closing the trunk? It's the size of a shoebox. There has to be more functionality of the box than just releasing pressure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The dealer told me it was to release pressure in the event that the air bag deploys so it doesnt blow out your ear drums in an accident. Mine keeps falling out and its setting in my garage. I need to get some silicon to keep it in place. It wasnt engineered very good.

Kyle 03 Spec-V

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
what I hate is when dirt comes in that vent driving on a dirt road...that sux.....happened in my old neon all the time....:(

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
AEM Spec V said:
THAT'S WHERE THAT DIRT WAS COMMING FROM!! I thought I was going NUTS! :eek:
lol....living in a small town there are lots of gravel/dirt roads, so every time I opened my trunk my bandpass box would be COVERED in dust :(

·
Registered
935 Posts
My truck is gutted (lighter for driving around down ;))... So noticed that dirt was building up. One of my "friends" lives down a dirt road.

·
Registered
546 Posts
when i dynamatted my entire trunk, i sealed that thing off and took out the black plugs in where the spare tire goes.

oh and you wouldn't imagine how much outside noice the little "flap" over the vent creates when you have subs in your trunk. drove me absolutly insane trying to figure out where the hell the raspy sound was comming from under my 1/4 pannel.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Cover it, do you plan on crashing anytime soon? j/k I'm sure the car isn't sealed good enough (like luxury cars) to make a difference whether you seal it or not.

·
Nissan RICE Division
810 Posts
SilverBullit said:
This thread is useless without pics...
Why? It actually seems that most people that are replying already know what the item of discussion is. :D

Back on topic. One thing that came to mind was... that if this was meant to release pressure in case of air bag deployment then wouldn't it have the same effect to have your vents in your dash open to outside air (instead of recirculate)? Seems like the vents would provide more pressure relief than that small vent all the way in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
BLAZETIGER said:
Why? It actually seems that most people that are replying already know what the item of discussion is. :D
Well, I don't...Maybe it's because I just skimmed through the posts. :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts