B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 04' SER auto. so far my only mod is a nismo intake. i have just decided to go for suspension mod for now until my warranty is up. so i've read alot on suspension setup with the specv. shall i get similar mods even the suspension characteristics of the SER and specv are different? from what i know specv has stiffer springs than the SER, does that mean spring kit is a must? how about dampers? upgrade to 17'' rims and better tires?

please help

·
www.gtasentra.net
582 Posts
if you want a car that handles than you need to upgrade all three, springs, dampers, and tires. id say dont skimp on any of these areas, its only as good as its weekest link! if you dont have deep pockets id say get (Eibach prokits, Koni yellows, light weight rim w/sticky tire or if budget is really tight just replace tires on stock rim) now if you have BIG pockets id say ( Tein SS OR JICFLT-A2, Light weight rims w.stickey tires, Eibach OR Nismo front and rear sways, Nismo bushing kit, Nismo FSTB, Nismo LTB)

hope this helps :D

·
Banned
2,745 Posts
here's what you get if you want a great setup:
Koni Yellow Strut inserts-adjustable damping!
Ground Control Coilovers- adjustable ride height!
Eibach Front and Rear Sway Bar- more neutral feel, better rear rotation around turns
Falken Azenis or Khumo MX's. good autocross tires that have a decent amount of treadwear so you can drive around on them.
the Eibach FSB and RSB is avaliable right now for 269 plus shipping from Shox with the "Southern Shift" discount.- if you sear.ch for that, you'll find the group buy thread.
Koni Yellows and GC coilovers are available at Southwestautoworks.com- call them and tell them your a b15sentra.net member, and you'll get a discount from the website price.
mx's or azenins wil be available on tirerack or discount tire direct.

it won't be the greatest suspension setup, but you'll keep up with the best of em. ;)

again.... bored at work....... nothing to do, so i respond to n00bs.....

·
Banned
2,745 Posts
niser said:
would u recommend getting the spec v spring?
nah, if you want something close to stock and good all around id say get the spec v struts with progress springs. don't buy the struts from a dealer: they'll rip you off a lot. look around ebay and the classifed on this form. progress springs are available at SWA or HPautoworks

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
SpecVracer315 - Lots of great info you've posted in this thread. The only small thing I somewhat disagree with is your suggestion to go with stock struts and progress springs. Several users (not all of them) that have this setup complain of very little wheel travel and much shorter damper life. With stock struts/shocks, I think the Eibach Prokit and Tanabe GF210 have gotten the best reviews, mostly due to the minimal drop and higher rates both front and rear.

·
Banned
2,745 Posts
Dangling Fury said:
SpecVracer315 - Lots of great info you've posted in this thread. The only small thing I somewhat disagree with is your suggestion to go with stock struts and progress springs. Several users (not all of them) that have this setup complain of very little wheel travel and much shorter damper life. With stock struts/shocks, I think the Eibach Prokit and Tanabe GF210 have gotten the best reviews, mostly due to the minimal drop and higher rates both front and rear.
i'd heard good things about the progress springs because they are just a bit lower then the stock springs with similar spring rates, but then again any time you get a spring only suspension, there is gonna be less damper life and less wheel travel, thats why i recommended the koni/GC combo first.
btw- not to inflate your ego, but most of this stuff i learned from you and fluid1.... :eek:

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
SpecVracer315 said:
btw- not to inflate your ego, but most of this stuff i learned from you and fluid1.... :eek:
You're definitely not inflating my ego because I in turn learned all this stuff from other users on this site :eek:

Anyway, here are some rates and the corresponding drop:

123F/190R, no drop - Stock GXE springs
134F/212R, no drop - Stock SE-R springs
154F/247R, no drop - Stock Spec springs

180F/300R, 1.2"F/1.0"R - Eibach Prokit
217F/314R, 1.3"F/1.1"R - Tanabe GF210
151F/196R, 1.3"F/1.1"R - Tein S-Tech
154R/246R, 0.9"F/0.6"R - Tein H-Tech
190F/240R, 1.7"F/1.4"R - Progress
150F/190R, 2.0"F/2.0"R - Sprint (a.k.a. "the damper killer")

Notice anything interesting? First, the Sprints are way too aggressive imho, I've tried them myself and that's why they earned that nickname. The Tein S-tech has the same drop as the GF210, but since the Tanabe has higher rates I don't know why you wouldn't pick that to avoid bottoming out. Same story with the Progress, when compared to the GF210 the drop on the Progress is too low and the rates not high enough. Lastly, the Tein H-tech is interesting, but it has the same drop as the Nismo S-tune damper kit, yet the Nismo set has higher rates (185/300).

Going by the numbers, when combined with user testimonials from this forum, shows you why the Eibach Prokit and Tanabe GF210 are solid choices among b15 lowering springs.

·
i dont wanna copy shannon
3,180 Posts
i bought my progress springs used with 5k on em and now they have about another 10k on em.... im 80k on the car and i cant start to feel the need to replace the struts/shocks. BUT i love the drop of progress. I don't think its too much at all, in fact i think the sprint "drop" is the nicest looking jus the spring rates SUCK ***! all in all just get coilovers and call it a day

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
Good point. Just because I personally don't like Progress, doesn't mean your car will explode or anything if you use them. All dampers will wear out, just a matter of when. The more extreme your lowering springs (look at rate AND height), the faster they will wear out.

So it's completely realistic when you say your dampers are still ok, because there are other factors, like how often you drive, your driving style, road surface conditions and curb weight (audio equipment, etc.). So your dampers may very well last another year, while another guy with progress who autox finds himself with blown dampers in 6 months.

Your last statement makes sense, but I think you'll agree with me that it's not an easy choice because bottom line: coilover systems are expensive. The three most popular entry level systems (Tein Basic, Nismo S-tune, Koni/GC) are all around $700-$800, not exactly pocket change for your typical Sentra owner.

·
i dont wanna copy shannon
3,180 Posts
no i cant see spending that much on "the ride" since there's so many other things i personally would buy for $800 but then again the ride is the MOST noticeable thing when ur IN the car. but there is definitely no CHEAP way around getting a great ride.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you guys
so the conclusion is progress for look, eibach or tanabe for performance and longer damper life?

ya i think i'll go with eibach combined with nismo or eibach FSB and RSB. then i'll save up money for rims/tires

1 - 13 of 13 Posts