B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this proved to be a bad idea! I have been struggling with this whole mudflap issue. I actually made some myself, but got to thinking about what the car would look like without the side sill extensions. See, if I took them off, then I could use the factory mudflaps.

Well, it seemed easy enough. There are a series of screws (at both ends and at several point in between.) So, I unfasten all the screws, but it still won't budge. I come to find out that Nissan has placed about 10 clips along the side of the car. So, even if you did get it all the way off, there would be 10 visable holes on the side of your car!! How friggen stupid is that. In short, there is no asthetically pleasing way to remove the damn plastic extensions. Whats more, the back side of the extension is shaped like a little gutter. It holds in dirt and moisture. At the rear wheel well I dug out a nice pile of wet rocks and dirt. This is the stuff rust is made of! It was sitting right on the metal inner wheel well. A few years of that will certainly cause body rot.

Anyway, just wanted to give everyone a heads up that might be thinking about doing this. Don't try it.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (It was here, but now it's gone...but it will be back soon!!)
- Hotshot CAI (At The Coaters.)

Click HERE To Visit My Website!

·
Registered
747 Posts
WOW! That stinks! I have to put mud flaps on!!! And it is such a good thing I just read this (in other words, THANKS
) because in about an hour I was going to put on universal mud flaps but now I'll take them back. AND, I am going up to the dealer monday because I have literally thousands of paint chips on my car above and behind my front wheels from not having mud flaps and now when they ask why I never put them on I'll have the answer that they don't fit over the sills. Thats tough man. Hey, just an idea, if you put the side sills back on, I'd put some silicone in with the clips and screws to prevent rust

Later on,
~Mike~

------------------
2001 Black Sentra SE with Performance Package, JWT pop cone intake, neon ground effects, clear turn signal bulbs

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Thanks Max for the heads up. I'm going to try to check the back of my sills this weekend to scoop out whatever dirt or crap I can find back there. How low are the mounting holes on the body? Does it look like an aftermarket sideskirt (if they made them) would cover them up?

------------------
Jae
'00 SE w/ PP
Dropped and some other stuff...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The holes are on the body as it curves underneath the car. They will be visable when looking at the car from the side. Basically, they are located at the midpoint (top to bottom) of the sill extension.

I had a pile of rocks on my driveway that were caught up in the sill extensions. The little "gutter" runs the whole length of the piece. The bad part seemed to be where it mounts to the rear fenderwell. It creates a little pocket that traps dirt and moisture.

I am gonna mount the homemade mudflaps hopefully this weekend. They only stick out about 2" from the body of the car, so I will see how effective they are. My car is all chipped up on the sides from the lack of mudflaps too. I think Nissan should be held accountable for this. I mean, we can't even take off the extensions to put on the GXE mudflaps. That is friggen stupid.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (It was here, but now it's gone...but it will be back soon!!)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Hey what about this getting the Nissan mud flaps and using like a dremel or something ang cutting out where it mounts up against the sill??? See what i'm trying to say?

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Guys: I'm telling you, I've been putting mud flaps on my cars for **40 years** after a while they all look like s )*(*&*)). Ain't never putting on no mooo Rust at screw holes, can't ever, ever, ever, get them (flaps) straight and they fall off. The only ones that work are the ones that come installed-period. Put 'em on and let me know you feel about 'em a couple of years later.

Later,
Just trying to help

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans
Car partly remanufactured
(Sarcastic comment)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sentra Styling:
Seems like a good idea. Only problem - when done, they may not look too good.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
see the only thing i was thinking of the use of mudflaps is around here we get alot of snow and where there's snow on the ground you'll find salt&sand and after a while your panels behind each wheel get that sandblasted look,,,,you commonly see on a good 75% of cars....so i am thinking of trying to prevent this.....
I totaly agree i had a set of mudflaps put on an older vehicle and they do look like crap after a while but I have also had one of those cars that had the sandblasted look....I quess i can't just win

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got some of those cheap, flat mudflaps at AutoZone for about $4 bucks a pair or something.

To mount them, on the front I removed the little piece of the side sill that is in the wheel well, stuck the mud flap up (of course I measured everything and all that ****), and then just screwed everything back together, so I'm using the existing screw holes, and side sill piece is still there.

On the rears, I got some of those clips things (you know what I talking about) and attached it that way. Just have to be careful not to back into curbs or something and rip them off.

You can't really see from the pics that I currently have on my site (below), but if anyone is really interested, I could probably run outside with the digital camera here at work and snap off a few shots. It's going to be a balmy 73 or so here in Phoenix today, so don't worry about me being cold...

------------------
2000 SE / Radium / Auto / Performance Package

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My install will be something similar to yours. I am hoping that the screws will be strong enough to support the muflap. I am worried because they just mount into a small plastic tab. It isn't very sturdy.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------

·
Registered
747 Posts
Put silicone in the holes before you put the screws back in and you will never have a problem with the rust!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
2001 Black Sentra SE with Performance Package, JWT pop cone intake, neon ground effects, clear turn signal bulbs

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Hokeman: Wrong

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

1 - 12 of 12 Posts