B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone send me a picture of where the drain is underneath the car? Also, I have become thoroughly confused reading the different posts on exactly how to change the Tranny fluid. Some people are talkin about draining, then adding it till it starts comming out of the bottom. Then somone started talkin about marking where the old fluid level was before starting...I'm totally lost now. How is changing this fluid any different from changing your engine oil? Wouldn't you just drain it, cap it and refill it? If not, can someone post step by step instructions so I don't kill my tranny since I'm mechanically inept? :) Thanks!

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'm not sure about an automatic....but if you have a manual its easy.
There are only 2 bolts that you'll see if you search for the pics. I think you'll need hex wrenches. (allen keys)
Lower will drain, the upper bolt is for filling. Just fill till it starts to overflow. The key is to keep the tranny level... after i jacked the car up and removed the wheel...i carefully lowered the car till it was level.
You'll need a funnel with a flexible tube attached. And I found that it fills pretty slowly...just hvae patience.
Good luck.

oh....here ya go..

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Auto tranny is pretty much the same with the exception of the filter. The auto tranny has a filter like the fuel filter and the oil filter. Actually much like the oil filter. The tranny filter does get dirty so if you are auto you might want to check that and most likely replace it.

Now if you have a manual just remove the drain plug, drain fluid, install drain plug (I don't even think that you need a gasket or something), remove filler plug, get a funnel, pour in the tranny fluid, then install the filler plug, tq them both and you're done.

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
uhm..i have an auto se and have done the fluid change before. from what ive heard from people like adc100, our cars dont really have to have the filter replaced. they do have a magnet in there that wil cling on to any metal floating around in the tranny if it breaks off. its really simply to change tranny fluid. start the car, drive around for a few minutes so the fluid gets nice and warm and moves thru the tq convertor. once you get back home shut off the engine and let the fluid sit for about 20 minutes so it cools down a bit. you have to raise the front of the car before you start the drain. if you look under your car you will see the tranny drain plug. the plug is in the middle of the car, you cant miss it. unscrew the bolt (fluid will gush out so be prepared with a container)..about a gallon of fluid will come out, roughly half of whats in there. once the old fluid drains, screw back the bolt, dont over tighten..forgot how much torque it needs..and then add the SAME amount that came out where the dipstick for the tranny fluid is. MAKE SURE ITS THE SAME AMOUNT..too much fluid can damage the tranny. since you got out about half the fluid, drive around a few hundred miles and then repeat the process. this should replace about 90% or so of the fluid.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
FuLIsh said:
uhm..i have an auto se and have done the fluid change before. from what ive heard from people like adc100, our cars dont really have to have the filter replaced. they do have a magnet in there that wil cling on to any metal floating around in the tranny if it breaks off. its really simply to change tranny fluid. start the car, drive around for a few minutes so the fluid gets nice and warm and moves thru the tq convertor. once you get back home shut off the engine and let the fluid sit for about 20 minutes so it cools down a bit. you have to raise the front of the car before you start the drain. if you look under your car you will see the tranny drain plug. the plug is in the middle of the car, you cant miss it. unscrew the bolt (fluid will gush out so be prepared with a container)..about a gallon of fluid will come out, roughly half of whats in there. once the old fluid drains, screw back the bolt, dont over tighten..forgot how much torque it needs..and then add the SAME amount that came out where the dipstick for the tranny fluid is. MAKE SURE ITS THE SAME AMOUNT..too much fluid can damage the tranny. since you got out about half the fluid, drive around a few hundred miles and then repeat the process. this should replace about 90% or so of the fluid.
Thats about it. I use 22 ft. lbs of torque. There is no gasket on the plug. Read the manual on how to check the final level. Its a good plan to measure the amount that comes out. It will be almost exactly a gallon as mentioned.

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
lol..what i did to measure the amount was i used big funnel with an old (washed) milk jug (gallon sized)..the amount that came out was a little less than a gallon..i then threw the old fluid into a bucket and measured to the same spot with the milk jug. it works for me lol..very simple IMO.
EDIT: if you dont have a torque wrench..just tighten the bolt a little..just enough to stay put but not too tight that it will break..if you think it may be to tight just bring it out a few threads..as long as the oil isnt leaking then you should be if you dont torque em

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Ok, I take it back then. I have a 91 240 and that's what happened. Anyway, sorry to lead any one with my comment. Now what about for manual adc100? I know you just drive around and then let it sit for around 20mins and then drain and refill till it overflows now is that right? And also how do you tq Hex keys? All I got is a 3/8 tq wrench.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
civiceater said:
Ok, I take it back then. I have a 91 240 and that's what happened. Anyway, sorry to lead any one with my comment. Now what about for manual adc100? I know you just drive around and then let it sit for around 20mins and then drain and refill till it overflows now is that right? And also how do you tq Hex keys? All I got is a 3/8 tq wrench.
Just get it warm and then let it drain til it stops. As far as tightening it-make sure the threads are clean do not over tighten it. Honestly I don't use a torque wrench for manual trannies. I believe the torque range is about the same. The thing is not to over tighten or you can actually crack the housing. If they have a gasket and bottom out then you won't crack the housing. In any event I don't believe I'd go over 30 ft lbs. Maybe someone will know for sure.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
So the steps, will this sum it up?
1)warm the fluid
2)put it on ramps
3)let it cool off
4)drain using hex/allen keys removing the bottom plug
5)put it back and just tighten, but nothing with a "grunt" on it
6)remove the top one to refill
7)fill it up till it overflows (is this any good?)
8)put the plug back and same as #5
9)check for leaks?

is that it? and also what about the problem of the car "being level" and since it'll be on a ramp and will not be level?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts