B15 Sentra Forum banner
81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
what if one installed a good tach and speedometer, like the ones people put on their dash?

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
well, if you installed a more accurate speedo, then you'd have a more accurate speedo.

not sure what you'd need and how accurate it'd be though...

·
Simian Rex
3,213 Posts
It's not just the gauge, but the entire system. There's slop in the sensor, slop in the signal, and slop at the dial. Bottom line? The only way to know for sure is to use multi-thousand dollar fifth-wheels, certified laser or radar, or timing like they do at lakes events.

·
Registered
82 Posts
pditty:

A 1991 200tq, chipped->290hp Audi. Man, that was a kick-*** car, but too expensive to start fixing stuff...

·
Registered
76 Posts
so all you spec v owners
do your gears redline at:
1: around 30
2: around 55
3: around 80
If so that is what the regular se-r does.
what would be the point of the sixth gear?
besides gas saving and a top speed that noone really reaches.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You just mentioned the whole reason for another gear, in my mind, better mileage. In most automatics, the car tops out in third, not overdrive, its simply a mileage gear, same with 6th in the Spec. And BTW sixth got me 6 more mph on top end with MY car and bone STOCK. As far as real speed I DONT CARE, I'm just saying I got more speed with 6th. Sounds to me that the SE-R is a good car, but for $600 more I like the differential, the interior, the wheels, and many more upgrades.

·
2busy4b15/but watch it
11,651 Posts
i thought SIX speeds means better Top speed????

id love the six speed in the SE sentra... it would pop me back into my powerband again... which i would think that would be the purpose of a sixth gear in any car.... but doesnt seem to be the case for the spec.. which brings me to the overall question... what is the top speed of the spec V

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Stylee said:
so all you spec v owners
do your gears redline at:
1: around 30
2: around 55
3: around 80
If so that is what the regular se-r does.
what would be the point of the sixth gear?
besides gas saving and a top speed that noone really reaches.
the se-r tops out at

1st 35
2nd 65
3rd 85

the book doesnt say what 4th and 5th do

the point of a car having more gears is to keep the car in its power band and run a high final drive. Keeps torque multiplication higher.

·
2busy4b15/but watch it
11,651 Posts
manuals list the revlimit speed. i think...

i tend not to belive the manual ... in the manual for th SE it says that 60 is the (last redline shift point) of course if i hit 60 in second im bouncing the rev limiter.. so 58 is the last call for second. 84 is the last call for 3rd in the se i dont see the last call for fourth often so it doesnt matter any way...

also last note.. the 6 speed final drive and the se sentras final drive are about the same.. 4.42 for the spec and 4.43 for the SE

·
Registered
186 Posts
people, i have a question,

while attempting a top speed run in 6th gear, what rpm r u doing aproximately when the car stops accelerating, or begins to accelerate verry, verry slow? if this rpm is close to what the engines peak tourqe is, then its safe to say that this is a part of the fabled eqution that no one can seem to agree on along with the many other variables(u know).

my .02 as follows,
all i can say is find top speed (or when the increase in velocity aproaches zero) the old fashioned way, go to a huge test oval or to the salt flats and bring some good test equipment. all it seems that were gaining from this thread is an apoximation of what the ser can do. in other words, with the info gathered on this thread, i think we'r all certain that we won't be winning any open road racing trophies with the stock ser ;0).

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sorry for not reading all of this thread but would like to let you all know i hit 215 KM/H with little effort .

I first started speeding up a slight hill curving to the right like there was no.
This was in peak hour traffic as i passed two cars while doing so and happened so quick.
I was in fifth gear when i stopped my foolishness and the car was not even close to wanting to slow down but i did.

I know you will not agree with the time i chose to do this but i did take the chance and i won , keeping in mind i still have my license.

These are family , 4 door , go fast cars , so why not try it.

Why are speed limits 100 km/h and cars speed limits 250 km/h!!!

PLEASE DO NOT ANSWER THIS REPLY !!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
i am simply jealous if only my plain se-r had the liimited slip and gears.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Re: easy

specvguru said:
I hit 130 easy! 2002 silver spec v

silver_tiger_25 Sorry for not reading all of this thread but would like to let you all know i hit 215 KM/H with little effort .

WOW! You guys really need to go back and, you know, like, actually *READ* the thread before you post.

·
Registered
402 Posts
pditty I think that since the thread name is Top Speed of Spec V, that it would suggest someone wants to know how fast everyone is getting with their stock specs. Both of those people just said that they hit 130 easy, contradicting other CALCULATIONS, which mean jack if you ask me. All these 2 are doing is basically answering the question, maybe you should do the same.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Hey all, thread starter here...

All I can say is OMG on how long this post has been going.

I would like to say again, I would like info on the speed at which you are going at a certain rpm for gears 5 and 6 please.

Example : 5,500 rpms' going ___ mph

I need all speeds' from 5th and 6th gears.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK OR IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO A TRACK. DON'T YELL AT ME IF YOU GET PULLED OVER AND TICKETED.

K-

Is this like the longest post here or are we even close?

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
blackserspecv said:
pditty I think that since the thread name is Top Speed of Spec V, that it would suggest someone wants to know how fast everyone is getting with their stock specs. Both of those people just said that they hit 130 easy, contradicting other CALCULATIONS, which mean jack if you ask me. All these 2 are doing is basically answering the question, maybe you should do the same.
hmmm... well I put up about 6 huge posts on this subject, so I'd say I've been "doing the same" to answer the question or at least doing my best to....

It's just that they clearly didn't read any of the thread, (even stated as much) and then posted what we've already established to be rather worthless data (again)...

and if it's not worthless, they failed to explain how it was obtained and why it wasn't worthless..

I wouldn't be horribly shocked if it does 130 (I figure 125)... but I'd have a heart attack if a speedo actually reads 130 at 130...

understand what I mean?

It's a long thread, and it sucks to go in circles even more than we already are only because they didn't read anything....

if you don't bother to read what the thread is talking about... why contribute? that's the main thing....

Sorry, that sounds harsher than I meant it to be, It's not intended that way, just asking that you read, *then* post...

it's kinda like if the thread was "did you dyno the header" and it was like "dude, i totally guess it was almost 10 hp"

You *could* say that about calculations...

I understand that you're real skeptical on calculation, which is fine, good even, that's how it *should be*, that's how science and math progress, through skepticism.....

but at least there's a basis of reality there... and something vaguely new to offer....

and I certainly wouldn't continue to post them after they've been shown to be total b.s.

but the speedo is just plain wrong. and i think that's a fairly standard conclusion that's been established already...

maybe it's just cause they were short posts ;)

I like to rant and write a lot.

·
#SERs beat = to many.
1,582 Posts
Re: easy

specvguru said:
I hit 130 easy! 2002 silver spec v
okay as a spec-v owner i know 130 is not easy....It will do 120 fine, its happy their but after 120 it doesn't pull so easily it takes time, no way you did it easily, my car had trouble going past 126 (on the stock spedo of course) i ran out of road, but it wasn't pulling as hard anymore....My guess the top speed is around 135, still not bad...

·
Registered
24 Posts
HAHAHA

Learn how to drive! then you might get to 130 a little faster! I can't say what the top end is, but I got it up to 130 and still had room to play! stop crying and drive the @#&%ing thing.

smooth as silk @ 130

81 - 100 of 108 Posts