B15 Sentra Forum banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
For the record the sentra ser on an open strait is fast as hell, but dont try to reach top end racing a subaru wrx or you will get smoked! ( especialy with my wife driving shes to f#ing good!) After bringing this very topic up about what the top speed is of my belovid spec-v sentra she then braged on how she didn't think the car could go over 100mph. you should have heard her! anyway we ended up racing, I couldn't take that kind of **** from my own wife(but i should have because I got smoked, now she will not shut up.) Her car is a 2002 subaru wrx wagon(in my name) with only headers( had to do it, she hated the turbo lag, this about cured it but cost about $1200 so don't ***** about the cost of our headers when they come out.) My car is a plain white ser spec-v sentra. Anyway the wife took off hard chirping all 4 wheels and pulled about 3 car lengths by the time I shifted to 2nd. I had a very good lanch but could feel the car jog to the right so i know it was losing traction. By the time I was ready to shift to third It seemed I might catch up a little to her, by third I was only 2 car lengths behind and was fast approching 80mph! All this in just a few seconds but seemed like already a quite a distance. That was the closest I ever got to the wife, after that she pulled on me like i was standing still! I now have shifted to 4th and was supprised how well the sentra was pulling. 5th gear the car keeps pulling like my old mazda use to, my wifes subaru just was getting farther ahead, the subaru is a dam rocket on steroids. by 6th the car was noisy but smooth and began to slow its acceleration at 118- 120. The car fially topped out according to the speedo at 137mph! the car had not reached red line at the supposed 6200 yet but stoped at 5900 rpm. The wife was now far ahead and she claims to have buried the speedo at 140flat!!!!!! I had to take her to p. f. changs after that so go figure on how the rest of the night went. Plain and simple our sentras are blistering fast, but it took a good 5+ miles to do this on the 101 near my home! Never ever race a subaru, but honda's watch out! d:

West.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The top engine speed for the 2001 Sentra SE is 146mph, cause I've done it, so I'm sure the Spec-V can do 160+ easy. My old 2.2L Turbo Audi's top speed was 180+, and that was only a 2.2L.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
beng said:
The top engine speed for the 2001 Sentra SE is 146mph, cause I've done it, so I'm sure the Spec-V can do 160+ easy. My old 2.2L Turbo Audi's top speed was 180+, and that was only a 2.2L.
Either you're completely insane, being sarcastic, or are driving in canada....

·
Registered
186 Posts
beng---
my old 2.2L Turbo Audi's top speed was 180+, and that was only a 2.2L.

i'd have to get out the anti-b.s. wipes for this one ofcourse if u ment k.p.h. or that engine made like 500 ponies at the flywheel and reved to 9 grand, explain yourself.

·
Registered
0 Posts
beng said:
Is that a can of Whoop-***? That's funny!

Go to the pet shop ,you will find plenty of them ! :p

·
Registered
402 Posts
That can is f*#cking hilarious!!! That is the funniest thing I have seen on here yet. As far as 137 I don't know, maybe if it was 5 miles, and maybe I had a lot of wind, but I could only get 130 on mine. I think that it might be possible with mods, do you have any mods? BTW the trannys are different, the 01 se might do 146, but the specv will get to 125 before the se gets anywhere close to that. You can't compare the 5 speed se to the close 6 of the spec v, they are made for different purposes.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
blackserspecv said:
That is the funniest thing I have seen on here yet. As far as 137 I don't know, maybe if it was 5 miles, and maybe I had a lot of wind, but I could only get 130 on mine.
Yah, that pic is funny, but I think you misread the posts (about 137 etc)

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
oh, well, I posted 137 as the top speed of the 210 hp eclipse gts.. though you were refering to that....

·
Registered
55 Posts
I sincerly dowbt my speedo is that acurate at the speed I was going! To be honest every car is calibrated with a slight difference. The federal standards for a US cars are + or - 5mph! The next problem Is every car is built a little different, some motors with the exact same specs may make more or less horsepower and tourque than others. Im sure one SER might be faster than the other. The next problem with accuracy in my situation is the 101 is not flat! I'm almost sure the road was level were the car topped out and wouldn't go any more but almost 1 mile before this is a small downhill. I have no mod (yet), but the suby dose. It was amazing to see that car pull away from me like that! Seriously who would ever think my wifes grocery getter was so fast!!!!!!!!!!!
Im a nut so don't go do what I did, but each to your own.
As far as the mitsubishi goes I think the power to weight ratio is a factor in your comparison as well as air density, the slip ratio of the cars, gear ratio and final drive, and on and on. You can do math all day but In reality there ar far to many variables! Just go out and have fun! I hope this helped.
ps- Love the can of bulshit!!!!!!!!!!! thats tooooooo funny!!!!!!!!! :D
I guss this all brings up a new Question! Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of speed limiter to prevent me from going so fast! I guss It failed? Any sugestions.
West

·
Simian Rex
3,213 Posts
blackserspecv said:
As far as 137 I don't know, maybe if it was 5 miles, and maybe I had a lot of wind, but I could only get 130 on mine.
According to C&D, the SE is drag-limited to 127 in a dead calm on a closed course. Getting higher than that would take a severe downgrade, a tail wind, and a few mods. :D
You can't compare the 5 speed se to the close 6 of the spec v, they are made for different purposes.
Ah; time to pull out the above can. The gear ratios between the SE's five-speed and the first five gears of the Spec-V are within five hundredths of each other (that's 0.05). The final drive is, too. All the marketing hype about the "Close Ratio 6-Speed" is just that; hype. I'm not saying that a Spec-V isn't close-ratio; I'm just saying that it isn't any closer than an SE.

* - Standard disclaimer assumed: I don't hate the Spec-V, it's a wonderful car, and a lot better than mine. It's just that even though the sum of it's parts is greater than the sum of my car's parts, the parts that make that sum aren't as vastly superior to the parts that make my sum as some would assume. It's still an economy car at heart, folks...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thank you West!!!! That is all I was trying to say also about the math. Also, I had no idea about the 5 speed in the SE being so close to the 6 in the Spec. All I know is that since the SE and the Spec are essentially the same body, why would anyone think that the SE could be compared to the Spec, since the Spec has more HP, torque, and now you are saying another gear completely. I was thinking more along the lines that the fifth gear was alot smaller than the fifth in the Spec, meaning that the top end in the SE could go faster, I had no idea that they were so close. I'm not saying that the SE sucks in any way, I've just heard some people in other forums say that the SE was faster, what a crock of ****!! Once again, I'm not bashing the SE, after all it's just a sentra, just like my Spec, and I'm sure that some of you have a faster SE than my stock Spec. It's just like someone saying that there stock GXE was better than the SE's or the Spec's just because. Anyway I am very grateful to hear of no governor. That is sooo awesome. Now I can mod the hell out of it when Nismo gets here and not have to worry about a stinkin programmer like GM. Also, since the Maxima has the same tranny as the spec, maybe we could find out the top speed in a maxima forum, just for shits and giggles, if its really important, all I care about is no governor. The reason I say the maxima is because they have a lot more money than I do, maybe they have topped the tranny out.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
west said:
Im sure one SER might be faster than the other.

As far as the mitsubishi goes I think the power to weight ratio is a factor in your comparison
1) True, but more than likely pretty negligable difference. There's certainly no such thing as a "170 hp car" etc, they all differ.

2) Yah but at top speed, you're not accelerating, so it doesn't matter, there were a few notes about that in one of my posts, as well as someone waiting to flame the first person who said it I believe =)

3) 127 I could buy, the SE really isn't all that much slower than the se-r's so I figure they'd be in a similar range, but a tad higher.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
pditty said:

2) Yah but at top speed, you're not accelerating, so it doesn't matter, there were a few notes about that in one of my posts, as well as someone waiting to flame the first person who said it I believe =)
Au contraire. Now I have been studying this for a while and I have never gotten any input from anyone other than what is written above.

Aside from accelerating to the point of your top speed (so wieght is always a factor). One you reach top speed, the forces become equal.

A= F/M - drag - frictional losses. A=0, so F/M = drag+frictional losses. The way I see it, it is still a factor. Now, I'm just missing one peice of the puzzle and don't really feel liek tearing into my physics books, so if anyone can fill it in go ahead.

but even at 0.999999 of your top speed, weight is a factor. so a heavy car might be to heavy to get to the accelerate to the same point as a lighter car.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
cwepruk said:

Au contraire. Aside from accelerating to the point of your top speed (so wieght is always a factor). One you reach top speed, the forces become equal.

A= F/M - drag - frictional losses. A=0, so F/M = drag+frictional losses. The way I see it, it is still a factor. Now, I'm just missing one peice of the puzzle and don't really feel liek tearing into my physics books, so if anyone can fill it in go ahead.

but even at 0.999999 of your top speed, weight is a factor. so a heavy car might be to heavy to get to the accelerate to the same point as a lighter car.
This makes my brain hurt.
A does NOT equal F/M - drag - frictional losses
drag and frictional losses are FORCES, NOT accelerations, this is an abomonation of an equation.

Do a unit check.

Thats like saying that 3 lbs = 6 lbs - 3 miles/hour !
A = F/M

if A=0 then F/M=0, what combinations of F/M can equal 0? only
one. That is that F=0. This makes sense, Newton says that if the sum of the forces = 0, then there is no acceleration (the proof deals with that same equation actually). So now, for what masses does 0/M=0? I think you can answer that one yourself.

You are talking calculus here. The top speed is actually a limit that the car approaches, as I said, the lighter the car, the faster it will approach that limit... but it does not set that limit.

For all practical purposes, it might have a small effect on the top speed.

What he is saying is that they will never really get to top speed, which is true. but when you are looking at the speedometer and you think it has stopped (the slope is very very close to zero) then you are for all intents and purposes AT the top speed. Its not like you think the slope is zero and you are only at 50% of the top speed. That doesn't happen. The only place you think the slope is zero is when you are basically at the top speed.

Its not going to be noticable though, not even on an accurate speedometer.

draw a horizontal line on the graph (make it near the top, nothing will be over it) and label it top speed.

now draw a line that starts out at the origin pretty steep and slowly goes up to that line and levels out on top of the top speed line.

last thing is you need a second line that does the same thing, but not as steep.

so it curves onto the top line farther to the right. One heavy car, one light one

y is speed
x is time

it takes longer for the heavy one to get there, but it gets there.
The curve is speed / time

the slope of those lines is your acceleration.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
beng said:
What audi? cause the audi 100 2.2L turbo had a published top sped of 148.
POWER OUTPUT: 217 BHP @ 5,700 RPM
TORQUE: 228 LBS. FT. @ 1,950 RPM
REDLINE: 7,000 RPM

TRANSMISSION
FIVE-SPEED MANUAL
GEAR RATIO SPEED
1ST: 3.60 35
2ND: 2.13 59
3RD: 1.36 92
4TH: 0.97 129
5TH: 0.73 148 @ 6,000 RPM

PERFORMANCE
0-60 MPH: 6.13 SEC
0-100 MPH: 17.39 SEC
1/4 MILE: 14.78 SEC @ 90.6 MPH
TOP SPEED: 148 MPH @ 6,000 RPM

drag =0.30

LENGTH: 193.4 IN
WIDTH: 71.4 IN
HEIGHT: 56.1 IN

based again on calculations, to go 180 would require roughly 340 foot pounds of torque.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts