B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2000 SE w/ pp and about 10,000 mi. it had a left drift when new and I had the dealer do an alignment. recently I had flat on the right rear and replace the tire and also rotated the tires at the firestone. after I pick up the car I noticed right drift and significant torque steer to the right. I've had alignment checked twice (at the firestone) but it checks out ok. the guy at the firestone said that it may be the motor mount. did the guys at the firestone mess up my car? any thoughts?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I doubt that your motor mount has gone bad. In stock form (auto) my car has a significant amount of torque steer. This is one of the down sides to a FWD car. My old 91 max had this problem even worse than the sentra, espically on wet roads.

Unfortunatly having an open differential realy hurts all auto and non performance package se's. :(

There is not much you can do about this as it is the inhearant behavior of the beast!

jlee said:
after I pick up the car I noticed right drift and significant torque steer to the right

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more torque steer to the right is felt after I picked it up from the firestone shop not when I bought it. it had torque steer before but now if accerelate anything over 4000 rpm the car will almost swerve to the right.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Don't meen to rain on anyone's parade, but SE with PP option has no torque steer. This is because the Nissan gave this car equal length halfshafts (axles). If the car pulls - that's because of poor alignment, or a tire problem. If its because the alignment - take it to the alignment shop. Don't take alignment work to the dealer (search archives for the reasons).
At any rate, once the alignment is set, this car tracks straight regardless of what you do with throttle, clutch etc.

·
Registered
560 Posts
This may need to be looked at. It is possible that the automatic version did not receive the equal length halfshaft arrangement, which is on my five speed. Look under it and see if the passenger side axle is one piece or two.

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
me SE w/PP has torque steer as well.

one little thing...
the tire may have some effect. (the new one) when they rotate, they rotate front to back. so the new tire is most likely on the right rear side, correct? i have had this happen to me in several other cars, which is why i have since stopped buying just one tire and buy 2, depending on the mileage.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
i thought only the 5 speed SE P/P came with the LSD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just to clarify, I have 5spd SE w/ PP and only noticed mild torque steer until recently. now I can't accerelate without holding onto the steering wheel otherwise, I will end up on the curb. as for Lee's suggestion, I've thought of that and had the shop swap the new tire from right to left (just the tires and not the wheels) but same right drift and wicked torque steer to the right. I've scheduled a visit to the dealer. :confused:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have a 2001 SE PP. And have NOT noticed anything significant...the car is incredibly SMOOTH.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I did not notice TS in Stock form. I will say that it will drift when both tires start to loose it, but that is normal. The Autos out there may have TS due to the lack of Limited Slip front. Remember that roads are not perfect either. Most roads do have a nice rake to them. This will contribute as well.

As far as the Equal Length half-shafts, I don't know it that is really possible. If nissan went through all this trouble to make equal/length shaft, then there would really be no reason for the Limited Slip.

Now before everone starts flaming me on this. Think about it. What will cause one wheel to break before the other one on a standard diff? Increased Torque or the Torque Wheel. If there is no torque wheel, then power IS being distributed evenly, removing the need for a LSD. The little amount of drift I get is nothing compared to other that I have driven.

Anyone ever drive a FWD Turbo Chrysler? A buddy of mine has a 88' Shelby CSX-T. Now thats torque steer.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Joebrez,
the car has equal length axles (at least in SE/PP 5-speed). That is done specifically to eliminate torque steer. The LSD is there to only prevent some wheel slip (BTW, its not much, because the LSD bias is very small). The LSD alone can't prevent torquesteer, if anything it will increase it. That's why I think Nissan put equal length halfshafts on the car. Like Cdn_Sentra_SE said, the car is incredibly smooth. I can let it accelerate as hard as it can, shifting etc. , not holding the wheel, and it tracks dead straight.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My last car was an 87' Saab 900 Turbo. The car had an open differential, and I was running about 15psi of boost. The car torque steered like a pig, even on good roads. My Sentra seems to have little to no torque steer at all. I've always credited this to the LSD (maybe I took to much LSD?:D ) but maybe Artem is right about the half shafts. Either way, I only get torque steer on bad roads. Compared to my old car, this Sentra is great!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I find that if i gun it in first gear, on occasion my car could jump a whole lane to the right if i don't pay attention to the wheel. Oh well. That's front wheel drive for you.

Saab's are known to be awful in terms of torque steer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Artem said:
Joebrez,
the car has equal length axles (at least in SE/PP 5-speed). That is done specifically to eliminate torque steer. The LSD is there to only prevent some wheel slip (BTW, its not much, because the LSD bias is very small). The LSD alone can't prevent torquesteer, if anything it will increase it. That's why I think Nissan put equal length halfshafts on the car. Like Cdn_Sentra_SE said, the car is incredibly smooth. I can let it accelerate as hard as it can, shifting etc. , not holding the wheel, and it tracks dead straight.
Artem

The LSD is designed to limit TS and Wheel spin by distributing power equally after the tranmission. The limited slip will also attempt to limit inside wheel spin in the turns while on the throttle. I have has a 92 Classic (I miss that one), G20T, and now the B15 SR20DE. All have LSDs, ifanyting the 00' is the most unsettled of the three. I was under the impression that the transmission is the same as the B13-B14 with just different clutch and ratios, but the same casing. Well, I know the B13 sure did not have equal length Half shafts. I will have to look the next time I am under the car. The Stock LSD should be more than enough to handle mild bolt ons. I don't know if the LSD is the same as the classic, but it seems to load and unload easier (You have to make it do this.)

·
Registered
560 Posts
I agre with everything you say on the wheelspin, but not on TS. Torquesteer came in to the picture with front wheel drive because of the unequal length axles. The deal with unequal axles is, that when the CV joints are at some angle (almost allways), the reactions from the CVs on the suspension are different. This is allways the case if the axles are of different length. To combat this, some makers had different scrub radius built in to the left and right suspensions. This would solve the problem, kind of. However, LSD doesn't solve TS problem. If anything, it might take out the hit when the spinning wheel regains traction. The only way to completely eliminate the TS is to have equal length axles. And a 2000 SE pp in a 5-speed has them.

·
Car Noob
1,826 Posts
It seems that Arterm is the only one who doesn't experience the torque steer in the y2k/yk21 SE 5sp /w PP.

I have that exact car, and yes, I do have torque steer as well. only mine does it to the left, and when braking relatively hard (probably only at certain intersections 'cuz of road imperfections).

The torque steer is constant, no matter where I accelerate hard.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Naddie,
I suggest you have someone check the alignment. BTW, if the car comes off the alignment rack in less then three quarters an hour, chanses are they didn't check everything (its all too common not to check castor since its not adjustable, however, it is still possible to have it way out of spec). At the end, they should present you with a sheet of numbers. Most likely for the front wheels only. There will be camber and castor for left and right wheels and the toe measurement (one number for the front of the car). Do not take the answer like 'Oh, well its within spec!'
If for some reason (defect or demage) you are driving with an alighnment problem - its your safety and that of others.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
My car pulls to the left hard when I take off fast. It has always done it, and it doesn't just do it to me . Last weekend one of my friends who owns a modded max drove it and he was like, wow thats a lot of TS. After reading this it looks as though I need to get it looked at.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts