B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
makin' money
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, my other car is a 1995 Infinity g20. It has 74k miles and i am thinking about doing coolant flush and maybe tranny flush as well.

Should I do just flush radiator or take it in somewhere to do whole system flush?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice to see another member that share the same tastes. I have a modded '96 G and just bought an '04 Spec.

The Infiniti dealer will do a system flush which I recommend. A tranny flush is up to you. If you're just purchasing the car I say why not? Better safe than sorry. BTW, is it AT or MT?

74K on a '95. That's really good mileage!

·
Registered
948 Posts
An auto tranny flush would be beneficial if it hasn't ever been done before.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
I would not do a tranny flush. Too much of a risk of introducing dirt from their machine. I have heard numerous stories of failures after a flush. Better just to do a few changes.

Same for radiator flush except its safe just probably not necessary. Just do a couple of changeouts. Old coolant can ususlly leagally be dumped in the sanitary sewer (house drain system)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
A "Flush" will require you to have it hooked up to a machine that will push everything out with pressure. It does a better job of getting everything out than just draining.

Have you had you coolant changed before or is this the first? If its the first I'd suggest getting it flushed. If not, then I would just drain, fill with water, run it until warm, drain, and refill 50/50 (or what your climate zone dictates).

Same on the tranny. If its first time and you have an Auto....flush it. Manual...drain and refill.

·
SER Mod Father
3,419 Posts
adc100 said:
I would not do a tranny flush. Too much of a risk of introducing dirt from their machine. I have heard numerous stories of failures after a flush. Better just to do a few changes.

Same for radiator flush except its safe just probably not necessary. Just do a couple of changeouts. Old coolant can ususlly leagally be dumped in the sanitary sewer (house drain system)
So are the attachments in the auto supply stores to flush with a garden hose a bad idea for the same reason?
I'm having my system bled btw, today from Davids advice, not trying it just asking.

·
makin' money
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nis.k.a. said:
Nice to see another member that share the same tastes. I have a modded '96 G and just bought an '04 Spec.

The Infiniti dealer will do a system flush which I recommend. A tranny flush is up to you. If you're just purchasing the car I say why not? Better safe than sorry. BTW, is it AT or MT?

74K on a '95. That's really good mileage!
unfortunenly it's an Auto. I brought it from my brother for he no longer wanted because he bought an RX-8. Only thing that he did was a tranny flush about 20k miles ago, and replaced the starter that went out. (he bought it with 25k miles)

I was thinking about doing the flush since it has never been done.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
chillboy said:
So are the attachments in the auto supply stores to flush with a garden hose a bad idea for the same reason?
I'm having my system bled btw, today from Davids advice, not trying it just asking.
Well when you use these attachments you are putting water in the system that is not distilled. So when you are done you will have some tap water left. So how do flush that out?? I just think its better to do a couple fill and drains using distilled water. Use maybe a 30% antifreeze solution and change it in a hundred miles or less.

·
I'm with your mom
1,540 Posts
make sure u flush all ur drugs down

·
Registered
610 Posts
I too am considering changing my radiator fluid, but am a bit unclear as to what mixture of fluid to use. I live in SOuthern California, so no freezing or near freezing temperatures. CAn I do a higher water to coolant mixture? I thought I read that it was beneficial to use more water than antifreeze. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Thanks

Tyler

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Esc8p2NeverLand said:
I too am considering changing my radiator fluid, but am a bit unclear as to what mixture of fluid to use. I live in SOuthern California, so no freezing or near freezing temperatures. CAn I do a higher water to coolant mixture? I thought I read that it was beneficial to use more water than antifreeze. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Thanks

Tyler
Well water is a better natural coolant. Problem is that even though it can carry more heat away the whole process depends on the size of the radiator. As a practical matter you won't see any difference between say 30% and 70% antifreeze. I wouldn't go much below 50% bc of corrosion protection and water pump lubrication. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't hook your coolant system up to a machine that is going to put 40-50 psi of pressure on it when it is only meant for 10-15, think about it. Just drain and refill. More water the better; in the summer I use 75% distilled water/25% coolant, and add water wetter. Race cars use 100% water for a reason.

·
makin' money
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i called a nissan dealer and they said $125 for a full system flush :eek: or i could take it to a firestone and they would charge about $85. leaning towards firestone :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
The dealer will always charge a little more. That way, you know nothing was done to mess it up. Also, Nissan radiator water is better than firestone water anyway :D

Seriously if the car is older a good dealer service department will do more than just change the fluid -- for that $40 they should check parts and let u know if they need replacing. My experience has been that they do find problems early (finding a good dealer service that u trust thou). The last time I went they found a stiff tensioner on the wifes car.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
SpecialVehicle said:
. Race cars use 100% water for a reason.
Race cars use water bc indeed it carries away more heat. But they have bigger radiators. So if you extract more heat from the engine it will be harder to get rid of in the radiator bc it may not be big enough to take advantage of the higher specific heat of water. And the other thing is that the thermostat controlls the temp of the engine anyway-no matter what the concentration.

I will give you though that if there are hot spots in the engine the water will do a better job cooling them. But with the aluminum engine of the SR20DE that's unlikely. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.