B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the search thing and you could say i got some responses. Too many! I just wanna get rid of the Firehawk crap i have now and replace them with a tire thats slightly wider like 205's. I've seen some threads that say they have 205's but were they 50's or 55's? I really don't wanna go lower because the ride will pick up every rock in the road. Would really like a more cruzin/nice riding tire. Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a set of BF Goodrich Traction T/A's, sized P205/50R16, that fits on the stock 16" wheel. I called Tirerack.com before I ordered to make sure they would fit. They were around $100 each, and Tirerack customers rated it tops in all season performance tires in that size. I've had mine a few months, I like em. Good grip in all weather (havent tried snow yet, heh) and they ride just fine.

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
The 205/50 will be just a bit shorter sidewall than the stock 195/55 and the 205/55 will be a bit taller sidewall.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
If you want a cruzin, nice-riding tire, go 205/55/16. The taller sidewall will give a more cushioned ride. As a side benefit, you'll accumulate a few less miles on the car than you've really traveled, due to the marginally larger tire circumference.
Most of us choose 205/50 for a firmer, sportier ride, but it does deteriorate the ride quality somewhat. Oh, well- some things are worth a trade-off like that.
Let us know which tire you choose!
Peace,
Audio1der

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
Your stock rim size is 16x6, pretty skinny compared to common 16x7 found in the aftermarket.

I would stick with 205/55R16 because of the bigger sidewall and bigger contact patch compared to 205/50R16. Anytime you have a smaller sidewall ratio and you use it on a skinny rim, the tire becomes rounder, and your contact patch is smaller. This is why the sidewall of a 205/50R16 bulges out so much, it's really designed for a 16x7 rim.

205/55R16 is a much more popular size and you can find pretty much any tire you want.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've got Yokohama AVS ES 100s in a 205/50/16 size. The circumfrance of the tire is wery simillar to the stock Firestones. They tend to be a little pricey, but they are worth it.

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
Bridgestone Potenza RE 750's are on my SE and they are a great tire. good grip, good treadwear and overall pleased. Would definately buy again.

·
Registered
448 Posts
isimokov said:
I've got Yokohama AVS ES 100s in a 205/50/16 size. The circumfrance of the tire is wery simillar to the stock Firestones. They tend to be a little pricey, but they are worth it.
I've been running these for a few days now too, same size specs. The ride is a little harder, not much though. I like the handling a lot and they blow the pants of the Firehawks. Picked them up from Tire Rack for $80 a tire.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Bluese-r said:
I was running the HP4 711s on my '96 Altima. Pretty nice and do quite well in the snow too. That set up compares very little in performance to the Yoko AVS100s on my SE though. It could be the Alti's suspension too, but any tire that works in the snow will doubtfully compare to what I have experienced with the Yoko AVS tires. This is merely a performance comment though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies! Think i'll go with the BF's cause i've had those on my Ranger and my Cutlass. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
avs es100's here. i prolly won't buy them again though.

i'll prolly try the hankook ventus sport k104 or get some 15's and put some azenzi's on them.

·
Canyon junkie! ( ^o^) <3
4,332 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
goatboy said:
I have a set of BF Goodrich Traction T/A's, sized P205/50R16, that fits on the stock 16" wheel. I called Tirerack.com before I ordered to make sure they would fit. They were around $100 each, and Tirerack customers rated it tops in all season performance tires in that size. I've had mine a few months, I like em. Good grip in all weather (havent tried snow yet, heh) and they ride just fine.
hey are you sure it's a all season? I've been looking for one. To get in on this thread the 205 - 50 is the closest to the dumb and rare 195 -55 that came with the car. Actually 205 - 55 will throw off your speedo a little.

If you don't mind back problems I can recommend my dunlop 901's. Handle like a dream. Problem is they suck in weather and I live in colorado. lol :(

·
Registered
598 Posts
goatboy said:

I have the same tire but in 205/55/16, im incredibly happy with the purchase. I havent used them in snow yet, but they handle rain with ease.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts