B15 Sentra Forum banner

tint and dot matrix

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Shaved01SE 
#1 ·
i got my windoww tinted...not sure what percent but looks looks like 15%-20%....where the dot matrix is on the back window the tint looks like crap.....guy says this will clear up as the moisture dries but i don't buy it.....its been about 5 days and sits in the So Cal sun all day @ work and still looks the same....anyone know if this will clear up or do i need a redo?

#2 ·
are you saying you had them tint OVER the dot matrix on the back window? if you tinted it i suggest you cut off the tint on the dot matrix. you should have the tint end right where the dot matrix starts. the thing wont hold up very good on the dot matrix, so ive heard. my tint ends at the beginning of the dot matrix. it really doesnt make sense trying to ting the dot matrix because it blocks light anways.

#5 ·
yeah it usually won't hold... if you don't like the way it looks you should be able to get some vinyl or something and put over it..

#6 ·
if it was a good tinting place, they wetsand the dotmatrix down so its a basically smooth surface, then tint over that. granted, that sort of tint job on our cars costs $250-$280

#8 ·
it has to go over the dot matrix w/ my dark tint...i got limo...or the closest thing to it....so the dot matrix tinto doesn't cut it.....these guys seemed sure it would hold up but i'll have to go in and talk to em about.....they also scratched my windows w/ a blade and left a few small bubbles on some of the windows.....but getting tint removed and redone is a pain in the @$$....thats what i get for paying only $150

#9 ·
i paid 125 for my tint and could have gotten 35% up front and limo on the back glass and windows for the same price but i decided to go with 35% all around. there is absolutly no bubbles on my tint (guy used a heat gun to dry off the bubbles that were still there). i dont think it will look too bad if the dot matrix is lighter than the tint. people dont really pay attention to that kinda stuff. thats my opinion though, its your final call. tinting the dot matrix would be too much work for me

#12 ·
man, wanna hear about a bad f'ing tint story!?

I got my tint, decided to go all out since im going to be holding onto this car for a while. So i paid $225 for all 5 windows, i think like 15% all around. About 5 days after i got my tint, i finally rolled down my windows. I was crusing to work with all of em down. I get to work, roll up my windows and crack! my rear left window tint sticks to the door panel and rips off the window frame thing (plastic piece on over the door panel). So i go back and since i had the insurance for the tint they fix it for free, but scratch up my rear left door panel a in the process. Whatever, its not too big, im over, a little bit of scratch be gone and its all good. The next ****ing week!! i get pulled over for speeding (95mph) in the highway at like 1am. First thing the ****er told me to do was to roll up my front window. Bam! he busts me for tint and for speeding. Eventually paid $361 for speeding $20 to remove tint and $10 fix it ticket. Now its becoming more and more noticable that my matrix thing is ****ing up the rear tint. So im not sure what the hell im gonna to do about that. Will putting vinyl over it help it from pealing or will it be a waste?!?

But yea thats my tint story, sucky one unfortunately. :(

#13 ·
stylez said:
man, wanna hear about a bad f'ing tint story!?

speeding. Eventually paid $361 for speeding $20 to remove tint and $10 fix it ticket. Now its becoming more and more noticable that my matrix thing is ****ing up the rear tint. So im not sure what the hell im gonna to do about that. Will putting vinyl over it help it from pealing or will it be a waste?!?

But yea thats my tint story, sucky one unfortunately. :(

you paid $20 to get your tint removed? Did you do it yourself? I thought it was expensive to get taken off?

#14 ·
I've had mine tinted over for almost 4 years now and haven't had any problems with it. It did take about 6 months before all of the bubbles and stuff got out of the area over that s h i t and there's still some spots inside that you can see but you can't see it outside at all and as far as I know I'm the only one that even notices it on the inside.

#16 ·
A good tint shop should have no problems tinting over the dot matrix. Mine is done and it looks fine and it was done almost two years ago. It will take a couple of weeks for it to look right though. If after that it still looks bad it probably wont get much better. That crap about tint peeling off the dot matrix and taking the rest with it is pure BS. Plain and simple if you gat a bad tint job you get a bad tint job. Dot matrix or no dot matrix. A good tint guy can cover it and it will look good and last forever. Mine is guaranteed for life not to fade or peel.

#18 ·
hmm i just hop it holds and i keep pressing it down now and then to try and darken it up.....nobody seems to notice.....but i'm OCD with this crap...hell i just paid over $600 to have mulitple lil dings and scratches removed because of how anal i am about my car....i freaking wash the thing like 4 times a month!!....so yeah bubbles in my tint make me crazy but i guess i have to live w/ it....tint is a ***** to remove....i have gotten compliments on the look though....maybe putting ADR Visions on it will make me feel better ;)

#19 ·
Here is the deal with the dot matrix thing... I had mine tinted over it... It looks kinda of like a whitish haze, but only on the inside. The tint won't stick to the actual dots because they are made of teflon and as we all know...nothing sticks to teflon. But the tint will stick to the window in between the dots so there for it will not come off...unless they did a super crappy job. I'm very happy with my tint.... Check it out on my page and tell me what you think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.