B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey has anyone changed their timing chain in their car or its not really needed? Just curious...

·
Back for More
3,766 Posts
For real. Unless something severe happens, it should last a long time.

My 240 had the original chains on it when I traded it in (140,000 miles)

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Not really needed with a chain. I am pretty sure I have never heard of anyone ever breaking one on a Nissan.

My NX just passed 175k this weekend and I am still out there racing it with the original motor.
The g20 has like 167k on it and its still gets us to work everyday without any issues.

My friend has a b13 se-r with 330k on it and it still is running perfectly fine.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
david said:
Not really needed with a chain. I am pretty sure I have never heard of anyone ever breaking one on a Nissan.

My NX just passed 175k this weekend and I am still out there racing it with the original motor.
The g20 has like 167k on it and its still gets us to work everyday without any issues.

My friend has a b13 se-r with 330k on it and it still is running perfectly fine.
damn thats crazy man... 330k miles.... jeez... your friend must drive on water as well ;)

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Joe M said:
For real. Unless something severe happens, it should last a long time.

My 240 had the original chains on it when I traded it in (140,000 miles)
Speaking of 240s. There is a TSB on the chains on it. Having weak tensioners and guides, the chain wobbles/slack and hits the chain cover and mix oil/water and catasthropy.

In any case, it shouldve been fixed with our cars since the weak guides/tensioners thing is like years ago already.

·
Registered
631 Posts
hmm. that makes me second guess the motor i got. i was told the timing chain most likely needs to be replaced (never opened the motor up, but it was making that clicking sound like the chain was getting old/stretched)

then again, it could be air in the hydraulic lifters. ive heard that can cause clicking...hmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Jasper said:
hmm. that makes me second guess the motor i got. i was told the timing chain most likely needs to be replaced (never opened the motor up, but it was making that clicking sound like the chain was getting old/stretched)

then again, it could be air in the hydraulic lifters. ive heard that can cause clicking...hmmmmmmmmmmm
Uh what motor are you talking about? The SR or the KA?

·
Registered
631 Posts
civiceater said:
Uh what motor are you talking about? The SR or the KA?
SR, out of a 94 SE-R

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
I would replace the tensioner and guide before anything else. Those are likely culprits from ticking noises. Not the chain itself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts