B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this isn't a repost, I searched.
Anyway, I know the 02 tranny is crap, but I really haven't had any problems out of it until recently. From a dead standstill when I shift to reverse there's a pronounced THUMP that you can feel through the floorpan. It happens about every 3-4 times I engage reverse.

When I took it to Nissan they took a look at it and called me.
"We verified the sound and it's frequency of occurrence. Since it's not happening a lot we really can't diagnose the cause. Until it gets worse there's nothing we can do."

OUCH. I do have 100,000 on the powertrain, and I'm still below powertrain warranty. I just don't want it to crap out on my wife out in the middle of nowhere.

Anybody had similar issues.

P.S. There was a time when engaging reverse was a little difficult, but that has since subsided. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had similar experiences, but with two different cars with two different causes. One would thump in reverse due to the exhaust hitting the floor pan from one of the exhaust hangers breaking and falling of causing exessive play in the system. The other car had a broken engine mount that thumped the trans crossmember. I know the car is new so, you can rule out number two.

-verno

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, it is a manual transmission and there will be some thumping, especially if the clutch isn't buried, and more so when it's cold. You ARE reversing the last motion. If it was a clunk as you engaged the clutch I would say motor or trans mount. When I pull in my driveway I put the spec in reverse and bounce it backwards a tick before I turn it off and set the brakes.

In the morning I slide it into neutral, depress the clutch, and hit the starter. Slowly engage the clutch in neutral to spin up the trans fluid. Dis-engage the clutch, then release the brake and shift to reverse. Sometimes it slips right in, sometimes it needs some foreplay :rolleyes:

You aren't really making the little lady drive that 6-speed, are you? That's cool :)

Rand

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slotict said:
You aren't really making the little lady drive that 6-speed, are you? That's cool :)

Rand

Yeah it's her car, I drive it a good bit though. Mostly I cruise in my Maxima. It's auto, and I'm in sales, so I'm always on the phone or writing something down. I need the extra hand.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Exact same symptoms.. Recently diagnosed by my local Nissan as a damaged right axle shaft.. Replaced today and the noise is gone. :)

My knocking/thumping noise was also only when starting to reverse with the wheel locked in one direction or the other...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Similar "thump" here. When selecting reverse, with the clutch on the floor, there is a thump sound, regardless of the direction of the front wheels. It sounds like it is from the rear of the car, so maybe it is a similar exhaust hanger issue. I will take a look tomorrow at it.

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts