B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my spec has over 50,000 miles on it, I take it in for scheduled maintenance. I go for the more expensive tune-up and even go for the intake manifold cleaning option. They perform the ECU foam recall as well, although my ecu has already fried once.

Now, about two weeks after, I'm on the freeway driving home with the cruise control on, all of a sudden, the cruise control "set" light starts flashing, the SES light comes on and the thottle is dead although the engine is idling... at 1.5k...

Pull over, restart car, everything is fine... except the SES light is on. The throttle is acting funny too. I press on it, and it takes a split second to respond to any input. Feels almost like it's hesitating.

So I get home and pull the code: 2135. I searched it up on b15sentra.net and find it's the TPS code.

After searching some more, I found a post by [email protected] saying that cleaning the sensor can shorten it's life expectancy.

Link here...

Since the TPS is attached to the intake manifold, can I assume that the process the dealership used to clean the intake manifold also "cleaned" the TPS and caused it to go bad? Could it be a cruise control problem? I'm planning on going back in and complaining, but my argument isn't that strong right now... they will probably just say that it's about time for it to be replaced...

If someone told me that I had to buy a $700 dollar part every 50k miles to keep the car running, I would have stayed away from the spec...

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
Hum... I tought the TPS was appart of the intake tubbing, getting value from the step motor on the TB?

Your sympthom look like the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) that went bad... is your car was subject to this recall too?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I checked around and my car isn't subject to anymore recalls.

I found out today that I can induce the problem by turning on my heater at full blast.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, like I said before, I just had the ECU foam recall done. Could it be that they did it wrong? Maybe they didn't plug the ECU in tightly enough? The TPS (???) is going out more often now so the car has gone in to limp mode today at least three times. I just spent three hours throwing the stock intake back on so I can take it to the dealership first thing in the morning.

Hopefully, I won't have to pay the outrageous $6XX for a new TPS. I called a dealership and they told me that the part should be covered under my extended warranty...

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
You shouldn't have to pay the dealer squat. That part is covered under the powertrain so you still have a couple more thousand miles to go before that warranty expires. So it doesn't matter if it's their fault or the part broke on it's own, the part is warrantable.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The TPS is attached to the throttle body, thus they will replace the throttle body to repace the TPS. Had mine replaced last year, car went in limp mode (wouldn't go over 2000RPM)... Was replaced via factory warranty, no charge.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, actually, the mileage on my car is closer to 58K so it isn't under standard warranty. I do have the extended warranty though.

I got the car back from the dealership today. They blamed it on my CAI that used to be in there... I guess they could tell, they're not complete idiots...

They pulled codes P2135 and P0113, IAT sensor and TPS. So I got the car back, took it for a spin. Guess what? Throws another 2135 code. So yeah, gonna take the car in. If they don't fix it under warranty there, I'm probably going to take it to a more mod friendly Nissan. Anybody know of a mod friendly Nissan in the San Gabriel Valley area? I'm thinking Superior Nissan.

·
i dont wanna copy shannon
3,180 Posts
actually at 58k ur car is STILL under normal warranty... powertrain is good till 60k... i know cuz at 48k i got my new sr20 and at 58k i had my new b15 5spd. tranny

·
Registered
935 Posts
JacKal613 said:
Well, actually, the mileage on my car is closer to 58K so it isn't under standard warranty. I do have the extended warranty though.

I got the car back from the dealership today. They blamed it on my CAI that used to be in there... I guess they could tell, they're not complete idiots...

They pulled codes P2135 and P0113, IAT sensor and TPS. So I got the car back, took it for a spin. Guess what? Throws another 2135 code. So yeah, gonna take the car in. If they don't fix it under warranty there, I'm probably going to take it to a more mod friendly Nissan. Anybody know of a mod friendly Nissan in the San Gabriel Valley area? I'm thinking Superior Nissan.
You brought the car in with the CAI installed at one time? I just swapped by stock intake back on before I brought it back in for mt TPS replacement. They didn't know any better. NOW it doesn't matter because the Nissan service manager is cool, "What Nissan can't see doesn't hurt them," he says. Love it!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay, here's an update...

Superior Nissan has had my car for three weeks about... coudln't get the car to go into limp mode. So I drive over and offer to drive the car around with the tech in the car so he can see what's wrong. Well, he plugs in the consult 2, drive around the block, get on the freeway, go back to the dealership, and nothing happened. It's idling rough, so he asks me to rev it to 1500 rpm. Bam! Limp mode! (I don't think I should be happy about it, but I am =P)

Anyways, he couldn't figure out what was wrong, and he even showed me that the TPS was showing 5 volts and that the ECU was reading 5 volts too, but it was going in to limp mode. So, they're going to replace my ECU.

Maybe a pin had a bad connection on the ECU after the ECU recall work? Whatever the case, if I have to replace the ECU one more time, I'm going to try and lemon law the car... no way in hell I'm going to pay $1200 every year to get a new ECU. So they have my ECU on order and we'll see if it fixes things in a few days.

BTW, why doesn't someone make a unit that could tap into the consult II port and display all the ECU info on a cool display? Maybe even turn it into a AFC? Just a thought...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Don't you just love it when the car fails and the tech is right there to witness it?
I hate it when I go in and tell them about a certain problem and they go test it and say "No Problem Found".

·
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
522 Posts
i get the same problem. its a recurring nightmare. but ive managed to get around it. every once in a while the car will jump into limp mode, and give me an error 2135 (if im not mistaken). ive managed to get rid of the code and not have it come back on for a while. the steps i took were

1. turn on the car
2. curse at the car when the SES light turns on
3. turn off the car
4. run the diagnostic confirm its that stupid code
5. turn off the car, remove the key
5. open the hood
6. jiggle the wiring harness connector on the throttle body (i think its a greeen one)
7. run the diagnostic again and clear the code
8. preform the idle learning procedure
9. take the car for a spin to make sure the code really has gone away.

it happens from time to time. im guessing it has to be a wiring issue.

by the way my car is an 02 spec v build date 2/02

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OMFG. After leaving my car at the dealership ever since my last post, I finally get it back today. Yay right? What took so friggin long is that they had to wait for an ECU to come in. This is after they replaced my Throttle Position Sensor.

I get it back after driving around my mom's car for over a month and a rental for a week. Drives really nice! Go to work, work, start driving home. I notice it starts to have the SAME problem as last time. Get home and the V is idling real rough. Turn on the defroster, heater, and radio and instantly the service engine soon light turns on. Error code 2135.

I think Nissan really hates me...

Anyways, it's back to Nissan. I think my car is going the way of the lemon...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an '05 SE-R, with UNDER 5000 miles on it and it just did the exact same thing to me a few days ago. I let it sit for a day or two, and now the SES light is no longer on. Guess it's time to bring mine in to the dealer as well.

·
NOS Program 2.0
968 Posts
JacKal613 said:
okay, here's an update...

(snip)

BTW, why doesn't someone make a unit that could tap into the consult II port and display all the ECU info on a cool display? Maybe even turn it into a AFC? Just a thought...
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/72fc/ that's a standalone unit, you could also get one of the many obd2 readers out there

·
Registered
33 Posts
I hate SES 2135. I have an 02 Spec V and I got the code then replaced the TPS with a NEW one. Went away for about a month and then it came back so I replaced the ECU and it went away for about a month. And NOW!...I just got the damn code again. I dont know what else to replace. Its driving me crazy!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
ArcXero said:
I have an '05 SE-R, with UNDER 5000 miles on it and it just did the exact same thing to me a few days ago. I let it sit for a day or two, and now the SES light is no longer on. Guess it's time to bring mine in to the dealer as well.
Has anyone tried to check the connections and wiring in between the
TPS and ECU ?

Also has anyone checked for proper voltages and continuity ?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bringing an old post back from the dead!

How many Throttle bodies have you gone through?

Me - 3

So quick synopsis of what's gone on so far -

Around 8/04:
Car throws SES code
Weird/rough idle
Wait 1 week
TB replaced
Still have weird/rough idle
Wait 2 1/2 months
ECU replaced
No problems

Around 4/05:
Car throws SES code
TB replaced

So yeah, TB beens replaced twice and I still have this problem. Car has been in the shop for over 3 months for this problem. How many other people are having this problem?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
JacKal613 said:
Bringing an old post back from the dead!

How many Throttle bodies have you gone through?

Me - 3

So quick synopsis of what's gone on so far -

Around 8/04:
Car throws SES code
Weird/rough idle
Wait 1 week
TB replaced
Wait 2 1/2 months
ECU replaced
No problems

Around 4/05:
Car throws SES code
TB replaced

So yeah, TB beens replaced twice and I still have this problem. Car has been in the shop for over 3 months for this problem. How many other people are having this problem?
What is up with that ? That's crazy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts