B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting an aftermarket steering wheel.......after driving my friend's 240 with his Bride wheel i really like the smaller diameter wheel......what hubs are you guys using and do you know if i can use a quick release hub on it?.....i'm looking into the Sparco Racer in black

or the Mugello

any help from people with steering wheels would be greatly appreciated.....also.......your airbag light came on right?......what did you do to clear the light so the passenger airbag still works?

I'm not worried about removing the airbag for safety reasons b/c i use my harnesses everyday and the airbag more than likely wouldn't even reach me if it did deploy

Late,
Daniel

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Nissport makes a quick realease hub, which i believe you can use on our cars.

As far as the airbag light is concerned, it is probably always going to stay on. Since you are disconnecting the drivers airbag it's always geing to throw a "code" because the airbag is not present. I'm not sure if this will effect your other airbags.

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Warranty? what's that? i've never heard this term before.........i have almost 51k on the clock mike......i'm not worried about warranty at all.......the one thing i want to know is........if the airbag light is on...........does that code consequently disable the passenger airbag as well? or does it just not deploy the driver's side airbag b/c it detects a problem?

Late,
Daniel

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx Chris.......i checked out their site......they have a quick release hub adapter for our car ;)......now i know what i need to save.........still curious about the whole airbag thing......anybody out there with a wheel able to help me out here?

Late,
Daniel

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Sunburst03 said:
thanx Chris.......i checked out their site......they have a quick release hub adapter for our car ;)......now i know what i need to save.........still curious about the whole airbag thing......anybody out there with a wheel able to help me out here?

Late,
Daniel
I looked through the FSM, and the way it is worded (The FSM that is) it seems that everything in the SRS is tied together. That would lead me to believe that if there is an error or malfunction in ANY part of the system, then the whole system will not function. This is just my guess though, I can't find anything that says that in the FSM.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I would love this just because the steering wheel is closer to the driver so it lets my elbows bend a little more

·
By Any Means Necessary
150 Posts
I always wanted an Altima 3 spoke steering wheel in the Spec V. I wonder is that possible while keeping warranty?

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Basically once one component in the airbag system fails the whole system gets disabled. I belive. So removing your drivers side airbag would render the rest of the system disabled. The light on the dash is easily disabled. You just pull the cluser and the bulb has a signal wire and ground. Just pull that and no more light.

As for what hub the b15 uses I'm not sure. Momo is pretty much the only ones that make hubs. Those are going to cost you $60 or so. Momo should have a listing for which one you want to use. There are extensions out there to pull the wheel closer to your. There are also quick disconnects but you really don't need it unless you have a caged car that is hard to get in and out of. Most of the aftermarket quick disconnects don't work terribly well. The Nissport one is nice, it has the hub intergrated into it so you just need to buy their quick disconnect alone but its pricey.

The cheapest and easiest solution is going to be to find the right hub you need to use and buy the wheel you want. Then you have to come up with a way to wire you horn in. You will also loose your cruise control as well since that is intergrated into the
steering wheel via a spiral cable.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Why would you want a quick release hub? Seems pointless to me.

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Well its a good threft deterant. Other than that is only useful if you car is caged and has a racing seat that is hard to get in and out of.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yeah, just by a Sparco with a regular hub and carry a wrench with you at all times :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
If you have a passenger and they get seriously injured/killed and the airbag is disabled, you probably are looking at paying out lots of cash. I doubt insurance would cover it.
Also a lot of state inspections check to make sure the Airbag does the proper sequence when you turn the car on. I had to rig the light on my racecar to pass.

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not worried about the airbag for inspection........im' a licensed safety and emissions inspector......my car will always pass:D.........i think David might be correct though.....i do believe that if one airbag is disabled the entire system is disabled.........hmmmm........i know for a fact though that the passenger airbag won't even reach my passenger seat with a person in the seat b/c they also have a 4 point harness.......and there isn't any option either to use the regular seatbelt......now i know where i can get a quick release hub.......thanx again for the info Chris......i'll post up a new thread if i ever decide to do this

Late,
Daniel

·
Owner
1,650 Posts
Not too mention that many (all?) states have laws against airbag equipped cars having aftermarket steering wheels...you may pass inspection (illegally?), but being on the public roads, you always run the risk of a bored cop or an accident getting you in deep sheet...

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's a local guy who auto-x with our region and he has an aftermarket wheel on his car.......he said he looked into the legality of it and he told me that as long as you have safety harnesses you can remove an airbag steering wheel and replace it with a non airbag wheel.......either way.........i'm not worried about the cops pulling me over for me steering wheel:rolleyes:.....no offense

Late,
Daniel

·
Owner
1,650 Posts
Sunburst03 said:
There's a local guy who auto-x with our region and he has an aftermarket wheel on his car.......he said he looked into the legality of it and he told me that as long as you have safety harnesses you can remove an airbag steering wheel and replace it with a non airbag wheel.......either way.........i'm not worried about the cops pulling me over for me steering wheel:rolleyes:.....no offense

Late,
Daniel
None taken...just worried about the rash of b15s trying to fly upside down, coupled with your safety and the after-effects of having to explain why you just had to remove a factory safety item.

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i hear what your saying......if anything......i feel much safer in my car with my harnesses than i ever did with my stock seatbelt......i think i'll feel even safer if i could remove the dangerous airbag........the harnesses hold me in to the point that the airbag will probably do more damage than good........same with the passenger side

Late,
Daniel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts