B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you guys clean your air filter on your cai, what product do you use? I've only done it once with the k&n recharger kit. Thing is, the filter element doesn't really turn red when I reoil the clean filter. How do you know when to stop? (I don't want a blown MAF).

Jason

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
dont mean to get off the topic here but doesnt the filter get cleaned like every 30-50k miles? if i were you and was scared about MAF damage..i would just cough up the price of a new filter instead of cleaning it. i dunno how much a filter is but if it gets cleaned every 30-50k then replacing it every so often wouldnt come out to be THAT expensive would it?

·
Foolishly Impractical
966 Posts
Well the filter it comes with is Genuine K&N, and when you reoil it it shouldn't be like bright red or anything, the red tint is just a tool to let you see where you are spraying the oil. You really don't need to put much oil on there, just a light coat over the whole thing is fine... oh and yeah K&N recomends cleaning the filter every 30k to 50k miles.

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
how much is a new filter? wouldnt it be a safe guard just to replace it? i figure driving 10k a year, you replace the filter every 3 years? wouldnt it just be better to replace it than take the chance of damaging a $400+ MAF? just my two cents. sorry..ending thread jacking in 3.2.1 done.

·
Foolishly Impractical
966 Posts
Why spend the money on a new one? they are made to be cleaned and reused.. just follow the directions and a $10 cleaner kit should last you the life of the damn car.

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
lol i know they can be reused but what im saying is you avoid the risk of over oiling and damaging the MAF by just getting a new filter. thats all im saying. continue with this thread..hijacking over. sorry.

·
Registered
553 Posts
^^^^^^the more I think about it I agree with this guy and for 20 ish dollars per filter I will replace mine at 25000 just to be safe:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It comes with a genuine k&n? Are the filters just badged "nismo" then? I dunno. I'm just saying that the color before and after spraying look the same, ie I can't tell where i've sprayed and where i haven't.

30-50k? really? i thought it was supposed to be cleaned every other oil change? and $20 per filter??? where are you guys getting your filters? cheapest price i've found was $40 off of ebay.

Jason

·
Registered
252 Posts
Filter

I agree-just replace it. The average one is usually about $50 or less.

·
El Greco
2,296 Posts
FuLIsh said:
how much is a new filter? wouldnt it be a safe guard just to replace it? i figure driving 10k a year, you replace the filter every 3 years? wouldnt it just be better to replace it than take the chance of damaging a $400+ MAF? just my two cents. sorry..ending thread jacking in 3.2.1 done.

The cone K&N filters need to be cleaned once a year/15000mi. The "drop in" filters are the ones that need cleaning every ~50000mi, which makes sense since they are collecting much less dust inside the air box, not being completely exposed.

The K&N cones go for ~$60 online (the newer extreme design) and $80 in stores. Kinda pricey to buy a new one each year when the recharger kit is only $10 and will give you at least 6 uses.

·
Registered
730 Posts
specVblue said:
It comes with a genuine k&n? Are the filters just badged "nismo" then? I dunno. I'm just saying that the color before and after spraying look the same, ie I can't tell where i've sprayed and where i haven't.

30-50k? really? i thought it was supposed to be cleaned every other oil change? and $20 per filter??? where are you guys getting your filters? cheapest price i've found was $40 off of ebay.

Jason
my thoughts exactly...

·
She was so young...
254 Posts
specVblue said:

Jason
Whoa!!! That's way to early. If you have a K&N Recharge kit, it even recommends not cleaning it that often as the dirt caked on the outsde is actually good. If you are that concerned, remove the filter and brush off all the crude with a dry soft paintbrush and replace. No need to oil it every 5k miles
:eek:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Too much oil and you will glaze your MAF. That is why I only clean the one on my Silverado when it needs it. And I also have a spare, so when it gets oiled it sits for a good few months in a plastic bag, I wipe any excess that gravity has drawn to the base off before installing it.

Get a spare...good investment, less downtime.

Now if I could find a decent CAI for my SE, it'll all be good.

·
El Greco
2,296 Posts
taylor04 said:
Whoa!!! That's way to early. If you have a K&N Recharge kit, it even recommends not cleaning it that often as the dirt caked on the outsde is actually good. If you are that concerned, remove the filter and brush off all the crude with a dry soft paintbrush and replace. No need to oil it every 5k miles
:eek:
Brush off is a BIG NO-NO (straight out of the K&N filter instructions).

I gues no one read my post above. I have a K&N CAI and used to have a K&N drop in.

Again, K&N cone filter: clean every 15000mi/1 year. K&N drop in filter: clean every 50000mi.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Best idea- have two filters...

Have one cleaned and oiled and stored upright in a plastic bag...
When the 10K-15K (15K MAX mileage) is up just swap the damn things and clean - then store for the next change.

I have put 100K on my car in 2 years and my car starts sputtering when I haven't cleaned my filter by the 15K mark (sputter when I slam the gas).
My reccommendation is 10K miles on the K&N CAI filter.

K-

·
Foolishly Impractical
966 Posts
I have searched the K&N site twice now and I see absolutly no mention of cone filters needing cleaning every 15k.. every single time they mention cleaning intervals in multiple sections of the site it is 30k to 50k... where did you get that info that cone filters should be cleaned every 15k?

look here...
http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#19

Question 20.

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
thats what i thought..maybe its just me but i rather just change out my filter, even if its $80 a year..rather than oil the thing and screw something up. For roughly $.20 a day, I think i can afford to get a new filter every year rather than buy a $400+ MAF

·
Foolishly Impractical
966 Posts
Well more power to ya all that want to, its your money. All I'm sayin is that for me its silly to spend that cash when I can just clean the filter and be done.. I've never had any problems with overoiling my other K&N's and I don't expect to have them start now.

·
El Greco
2,296 Posts
Amplified2000 said:
I have searched the K&N site twice now and I see absolutly no mention of cone filters needing cleaning every 15k.. every single time they mention cleaning intervals in multiple sections of the site it is 30k to 50k... where did you get that info that cone filters should be cleaned every 15k?

look here...
http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#19

Question 20.
It is in the instructions in the box the filter came in.

And in any case, it makes sence. An OEM replacement K&N filter (drop in) needs to be cleaned every 50000mi per instructions. Now, keep in mind, the drop in is inside the air box and protected, while the cone filter on the end of a CAI is always exposed to dust, so it only makes sense to clean it more often.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Open air element filters are weird. The dirtier they get the better they work than they just stop working if too dirty. I've never heard of anyone replacing/re-oiling after 15,000mi.. That's too soon in most driving conditions. I've had the PR CAI (w/K&N) on the G20 for 50K and only needed to re-oil it once (changed at 35K after install). I inspected the inside of the filter and entire intake track with a white glove and good eyes. The inside of the filter was the same as when installed, the intake track was clean; not a trace of dirt/dust. Although I wouldn't tell you not to re-oil at 15K I would say it's definitely pre-mature.

If it were a foam filter than I can understand 15K.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts