B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
f0rum z0mbie
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was on another board and was reading a thread when all of a sudden I see this (well, not this one exactly, but one just like it) in someone's sig:

I didn't think anything of it until I realized it had my IP address, my ISP provider and my system info. It's sort of scary that a little thing like a pic in a sig can get all that info from your computer...

By the way, you can do your own at www.danasoft.com

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
I used to know a website that would tell you everything about your computer, but then it told you how you could block all your open ports and stuff so that the info couldn't be reached by the outside...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Your IP has to be transmitted, it's the nature of IP.

Your ISP is easy to get via a reverse-DNS lookup (ip->dns instead of DNS->ip)

You web browser type and operating system are trasmitted in the HTTP header that gets sent when you make a request for something on a web server.

·
Hater
907 Posts
This shouldn't scare you. But how many ridiculously popular protocols use cleartext usernames and passwords and data transports...now that ought to scare you.

CrimsonShadow said:
If that elementary and small program can get that much info just stop and think what the FBI's got on you.
Probably nothing. The federal investigators doing security clearances can't even seem to figure out my dad(who is a middle school teacher) will never be home on a Thursday September morning at 10am. :p

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
pugnex said:
I used to know a website that would tell you everything about your computer, but then it told you how you could block all your open ports and stuff so that the info couldn't be reached by the outside...
Probably http://grc.com

·
Artifical Intelligence
141 Posts
is that supposed to scare me?...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts