B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE!!! Test DRove the Sentra SE 5-spd!!

So my family is thinking of getting a Sentra SE 2.0 5-spd to replace our aging Corolla.

I've got a few questions about them:
- do the 2001 5-spds have that vibration in the shifter than the 2000s have? I read about this problem on Edmunds.com as I haven't test driven the Sentra yet..I plan on doing that this tuesday.

- the Sentra SE 2.0 comes with a LSD right? And does it make a big difference in handling??

- how does the Sentra SE 2.0 handle as compared to the Canadian Civic SI?? I recently drove my friend's 97 SI and I loved the feel it had..the steering was just right and the handling was excellent <remember I'm coming from an old Corolla>

- how is the performance of the Sentra SE 2.0?? What does the 5-spd run in 1/4mi?? Can I expect high 15s stock??

I read somewhere that the Sentra SE 2.0 5-spd runs 15.7s in the 1/4mi, this puts it auto Maxima territory..is this true? I have a '99 Max GLE (auto) and that car feels FAST! I would be nice if the Sentra could have the same pull at a much cheaper cost.

- gas mileage and reliability?? How good are they??

Finally how much do you expect me to pay in total for the car?? In Canadian prices...

Thanks for your time and patience.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Welcome here man! Ask as many questions, we'll more than happy to provide answers!

Here are some answers!

- do the 2001 5-spds have that vibration in the shifter than the 2000s have? I read about this problem on Edmunds.com as I haven't test driven the Sentra yet..I plan on doing that this tuesday.

Our shifter is linked via a metal rod, it's not a cable like Hondas. By the way, you're not supposed to leave your ahnd on the shifter, it is bad for syncros...Both hands are supposed to be on the nice leather steering wheel!

- the Sentra SE 2.0 comes with a LSD right? And does it make a big difference in handling??

Less torque steer, and no wheelspin from the interior wheel when you are taking a fast corner (I mean you have to go fast...)
If it is slippery, both wheels will gave u traction instead of only one. I really apreciate that feature in our Québec winter....

- how does the Sentra SE 2.0 handle as compared to the Canadian Civic SI?? I recently drove my friend's 97 SI and I loved the feel it had..the steering was just right and the handling was excellent <remember I'm coming from an old Corolla>

New Civic lost their nice double wishbone suspension for Mac Pharson... Less precise handling and the new Civic is bald..... Boring to look at!

- how is the performance of the Sentra SE 2.0?? What does the 5-spd run in 1/4mi?? Can I expect high 15s stock??

Do some search on this forum, you'll see time slip posted.

I read somewhere that the Sentra SE 2.0 5-spd runs 15.7s in the 1/4mi, this puts it auto Maxima territory..is this true? I have a '99 Max GLE (auto) and that car feels FAST! I would be nice if the Sentra could have the same pull at a much cheaper cost.

Not FAST and FURIOUS, but a good kick for the $$$

- gas mileage and reliability?? How good are they??

If you have a lead foot like me, it is not a good gas mileage car....
But people are able to get around 36-38 on a reasonable speed.
Reliability was above average for the old Sentra, and the engine is almost bulletproof.

Finally how much do you expect me to pay in total for the car?? In Canadian prices...

Some folks near Toronto got a good price, use the search feature once again.

Mine was 22 750 before taxes.

Thanks for your time and patience.
;) ;)

Your're welcome, and enjoy if you do the right choice:cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had my 01 SE since October and passed 20,000kms last Friday. ONly problem I have had was 3 lines on the rear defroster not working.
The car continues to impress the hell out of me. Fun to drive, great power, and after a $50 POP filter great sound.
Faster than the civic
More equipment than the civic
Less money than the civic

The Civic has always been a great car, but in my opinion it is a "slump generation" as fas as style and zip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for the handling, well how does it compare to a '97 Civic SI <Canadian Spec>???

As long as the fun to drive factor is high, then my family will probably get that car. We will go on tuesday to the dealership since it will be open then.

To be honest, I was originally swaying my family towards the Subaru Impreza 2.5RS because I really liked that car and thought AWD would be nice and fun. However a brand new 2002 RS comes out to $33K with tax and everything and a used '99 RS with 65K km is selling for $21K before tax. That puts the '99 RS with the same price as a '01 Sentra SE 2.0.

And my parents trust the Nissan since we already have a '99 Maxima. They don't know anything about Subaru.

Thanks for all your informative replies.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You're on the right track if you're looking into a 5 spd and LSD, cause the LSD is ONLY available on the 5spd WITH performance package.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE::: I test drove the Sentra SE PP 5-spd.

It was a nice drive, not to harsh, no body roll in the curves, the shifter felt a bit wierd tho. It was hard to get into the gear sometimes...mainly going into 1st from another gear.

the Price...holy crap its expensive with tax!! It came out to around $26K CDN with tax and everything!

So we are still not sure whether we are going to get it or not..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yours to discover...

Wow...
There actually is some members from Ontario here - was starting to think you'd all moved to Québec on me!

The SE was to rich for me this time 'round... after I added the Touring Package (spoiler, rims, Alpine changer, exhaust finisher) on my GXE the bottom line was 20k...

Think I've convinced the "better half" to finally defect from Mazda for good...
She's gotta be had with the 5-spd - no question...
Think I'll trade-up when we're done wringing the snot out of the 1.8L - :p

Iam.ca!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts