B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as you all know, I totalled my car. Now comes the quesiton of what I should do with the cash that insurance gave me.

Should I purchase a new sentra se when only a 30 MPH crash can total it?

that is my main concern. It is not the safety issue because the car IS made to crumple and I am alive and well. But 30mph = total is really concerning. Thoughts?

------------------
SR20DE..Sorry Si guys.

[This message has been edited by azninvazion (edited April 21, 2001).]

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
You are right-they all crumple. You could buy a larger vehicle-but If it's involved with a truck-whats the difference. Larger cars are safer. However-larger cars eat more gas. The days of cheap gas are over-stand by. I'd buy another Sentra. Proven engine-good gas milage.

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Registered
149 Posts
Buy a beater and wait for the SE-R Spec V to come out.

------------------
'97 VW Golf Trek - modded
'00 Sentra SE - PP, PIAAs, Tint

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my no buy se-r. Me likes SR20DE.

------------------
SR20DE..Sorry Si guys.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah..how much do you owe on the loan? If you had some money, and if you were real happy with your Sentra, then do it again man. Who better knows how a Sentra is than yourself? Then again, if you're into change, then look for something around your price range, and try something else.

I've had my fair share of problems, but I'm very happy with my purchase. No wrecks for me please. :p

------------------
Marvin, aka Original Mr Sentra
2000 Nissan Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 spd, Avalanche
Current Mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
1) 30 mph is a more violent crash than you'd think. 2) You hit a truck, with a solid frame that doesn't give like a car.

I really don't think another car wouldn't have been totalled. Your car gave its life to protect you.

------------------
2000 SE w/ PP auto in Heatwave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get an Altima, they have $2000 rebates on ALL Altimas (XE, GXE, GXE Limited, GLE) until the end of the month...or if you can afford it, get a Maxima.

·
Registered
816 Posts
a 30 mph crash??? Are you kidding me? That's enough to total any car!!! That's the speed that the NHSTA crashes cars to see if they are safe in offset crashes. I was watching the news when they showed some of the tests. The only thing that the NHSTA checks after the crash is whether the passenger compartment is crumpled or not. The force of the crash pretty much destroys the whole front end, displaces the engine, and bends the frame in all cars (including the high end Mercedes and Lexus vehicles). The only small cars that did well in that crash test were the VW Beetle and Honda Civic. They had severe front end damage but the passenger compartment held up pretty well. The engine displaced downward (rather than INTO the driver), the floorboards did not crumple up into the driver's legs, the dashboard did not come apart and go flying into the driver, etc. So you see, a 30 mph crash is quite a significant one and the fact that you didn't get seriously injured (like you would have if you had bought a Focus, Cavalier, or Neon which all did very poorly), you should consider another Sentra.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts