B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to Scott at F-Max today regarding the possibility of a turbo system for the B15 Sentra. I figured since there had been so much talk about this on the board lately, I should get some hard info.

Currently, F-Max is not working on anything for our cars. However, since many of the B143 kit parts should fit on our cars, they would be willing to prototype a new kit for the B15. It would be the same as the Stage I kit for the B14, and should produce around 215--225HP at the wheels, or about 90--100HP over stock. It includes everything you'll need including the ECU, manifold, turbo, downpipe, intercooler, and all the piping along with the bypass valve and misc. what not. The only thing that isn't included are gauges. The Stage I kit is upgradeable, and in stage II form can produce in excess of 300+HP. Amazingly, the STOCK bottom end on the SR20DE can take over 15psi of boost with an adequate octane fuel. That equates to B.I.G. power.

The main problem we have right now is with the ECU. We *can* run the 1997 ECU from JWT with some minor modifications. From what Scott told me, the wiring harness change over is fairly simple to do. There are only a couple wires that need to be relocated. Once the ECU is figured out, the only remaining item would be to have a car available to F-max for prototyping.

Scott wasn't able to tell me how long they would need the car, but didn't think it would take long since the car is so similar to the B14 model. They would create new intercooler piping for the B15 and make sure everything still fit correctly. As an added bonus, whoever's car is used for prototyping would get a SIZEABLE discount on the turbo, and have it installed for free.

Now, Scott told me it would be 3 Months before they could get the car in for prototyping. They have a lot of projects going on right now. This may not be so bad though, because I know you guys would need some time to save up for the kit.

Once the kit is prototyped, it would be about 4-ish weeks until they had production kits available for customers (depending on how much is changed compared to the B14 kit.)

Anyway, I just thought some of you would be interested in this. The Cost of the Stage I kit is $4150 for the B14 kit. The B15 kit should be about the same. The Stage II kit is $4850 and includes a bigger intercooler, ball bearing turbo, larger injectors and new fuel rail. It is actually a better deal than the Stage I kit, but might be overkill for most of you. :D

No, these kits aren't cheap, but they are the only way to get your car fast. Since our motors are brand new and low mileage, they are PRIME candidates for a turbo upgrade.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
HMMMMM how long will my car be needed????? I do have 2 cars :)

I have to talk to the misses first....But I might be able to do the prototype...if she lets me...

[Edited by Sentra Styling on 05-07-2001 at 06:12 PM]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should probably mention that F-Max is located 45 mins. north of San Diego. :D THat would be a bit of a drive for ya!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Oh man that's all the way across the country that's a little out of my way.....But that would be one helluva turbo test ride home though:D

·
Registered
623 Posts
hey max, when do they need the car by? my kit will be done in a week. another week for the entertainment system. maybe then i can get the turbo too
hehe...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They won't have room for another 3 months. You guys got plenty of time to figure things out. What we need to do is find a car for them to work on. Once we have that done, we can call them to get that person scheduled for prototyping. They have a big board with all the scheduled jobs that are coming up. We need to get on the board so that we are locked in. If we wait too long, it might be more like 4 or 5 months.

This is going to have to be coordinated between JWT and F-Max. We have to be 100% sure that the 97 ECU will meet all of our needs for a daily driver. I have a call into JWT to discuss this issue. I think once they find out that F-max is involved, we will be taken more seriously by JWT. I have gotten the impression that they haven't been "listening" to us lately.

We know for a fact that this setup will NOT be emmissions legal. That is a VERY IMPORTANT thing to remember. You will have to pull the turbo off (and switch ECU's) to pass emissions. It can be done in a weekend.

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
I've talked with JWT before about it. They said running the '97 ecu really shouldn't be a problem. They will just have to eliminate some of the emission controls.

As many of you have known I've been on the turbo fence for awhile. Just a matter of getting my divorce out of the way.

I've been tempted to try to do it fairly cheap by picking up a bluebird or gtir setup that someone is selling off there DET to upgrade. It may be a cheaper option. I'm not looking at major power. Anything around the range of 200-250 to the wheels will be perfectly adequate for me, as my car is a daily driver.

There are lots of options out there guys. Its good to know that FMAX is at least somewhat serious about this. If any of you guys who are not local don't want to do it or won't have the money I was thinking about a road trip out to Cali this summer anyway and if I can get get a turbo while I am at it, all the better. :)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Man too bad I'm broke right now. LOL I would be out there in a heartbeat. Oh well I guess next summer will be ok for me.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
david said:

I've been tempted to try to do it fairly cheap by picking up a bluebird or gtir setup that someone is selling off there DET to upgrade. It may be a cheaper option. I'm not looking at major power. Anything around the range of 200-250 to the wheels will be perfectly adequate for me, as my car is a daily driver.
im leaning towards this route myself David. Im not looking for huge power. I just got this link from the se-r list.

check it out for those interested in the DET swap
http://expert.cc.purdue.edu/~bmoses/nismo/sr20detswap/sr20detswap.htm

·
Registered
59 Posts
max hp?

Does anyone have an idea on how much hp the b15 auto tranny can withstand? I am wanting to turbo my car to the tune of 200-225 whp, and keep it my daily-driver. I know that going FI will increase the chance of something breaking, and I will more than likely be spending more money on repairs. I just want to know if my goals can be reached without having to replace my tranny every other year.

Thanks,

ps. I did a quick search, but I didn't come up with anything.

·
I am a mother****er
675 Posts
auto tranny

If if remember correctly, I think I read on se-r.net that the auto trannies are good to about 200 hp.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dunno about putting a used engine in a brand new car. That motor in that link didn't look too good. I mean, standing water in the engine!?! Man oh man, he was lucky that thing even ran.

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
maxximtl said:
I dunno about putting a used engine in a brand new car. That motor in that link didn't look too good. I mean, standing water in the engine!?! Man oh man, he was lucky that thing even ran.
Oh it runs, trust me. I have met Ben Moses, he is a good guy. In fact he is rooming with me for the National SER convention.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
david said:

you mean turning our b15 SR20de into a DET using a bluebird or GTiR turbo set up? or an actual engine swap?

i wonder,....... can we just take a bluebird or GTiR turbo, turbo manifold, intercooler, etc and put in on our b15??? that would be nice, and probably cheaper....

just think.... a b15 with a t2.8 pulsar turbo.... would do you think?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
SDsr20de858 said:
you mean turning our b15 SR20de into a DET using a bluebird or GTiR turbo set up? or an actual engine swap?

i wonder,....... can we just take a bluebird or GTiR turbo, turbo manifold, intercooler, etc and put in on our b15??? that would be nice, and probably cheaper....

just think.... a b15 with a t2.8 pulsar turbo.... would do you think? [/B][/QUOTE]

it would work the same way people have swapd into b13/b14. The Piping and ECU would be the biggest prob.

you might be able to piece it together using OEM nissan part from this link.

http://nismoparts.safeshopper.com/435/cat435.htm?931

·
Registered
297 Posts
yeah

that is the exact setup I am probably going to do, I checked out that link, and I can get a SR20DE-T with everything including tranny and ECU for less than $2k, so I will buy the engine and everything just in case something happens to the sr20de on the car now ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, you get a used DET, but you gotta figure out what your gonna do for an intercooler and piping. You figure the pipe has to be mandrel bent. That right there makes it VERY hard. It will have to be hand welded from individual pipe sections. (this is what they had to do on the SEMA car.) You will have to fabricate a mount for the intercooler and figure out how to duct it all. Then you get to figure out the downpipe. NOt to mention all the wiring hassle's, and the fact that NO ONE has swapped a DET into a B15 yet. The SEMA car used the stock DE motor with turbo manifold.

If you look at the cost estimates for the job, it isn't much cheaper than going with a kit designed for the car. If there was a intercooler kit that had the pipe pre-made, it would be IDEAL. I did ask JWT about this, but no jig was created from the SEMA car. Everything was one off.

I hope someone tries it though. It will make it easier for everyone else!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts