B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Place Racing CAI in the mail today. *YAY* Let me tell you, having had 2 Hotshot intakes (that didn't fit,) the Place Racing Intake is LEAPS AND BOUNDS above the Hotshot in Build quality. I am not saying this just because I dislike Hotshot. I've listed out several ways in which the Place Racing CAI is better than the Hotshot.

1. The Place Racing Intake is a two piece system with the lower pipe being all ONE PIECE. The Hotshot lower tube 3 short pieces all welded together. It looks bad, and tells me that Hotshot didn't want to spend the extra money to get one piece mandrel bent in the right shape.

2. The Place Racing CAI is coated on the INSIDE and OUTSIDE. The Hotshot is only coated on the outside. This means that the interior of the Hotshot intake can rust since it is unprotected. The Place Racing model is protected on all sides.

3. The new Aluminum MAF adaptor plate on the Place Racing CAI is HUGE!! The flange is 1/4" THICK! It is CNC machined aluminum, and of WAY better quality than the crappy painted steel plate Hotshot gives you.

4. The welds for the vacuum nipples are done right on the Place Racing intake. There are no sloppy weld splatter marks on the inside of the intake like on the Hotshot. This disturbs airflow. Obviously, more time was taken on the Place Racing model.

5. The Place Racing model comes pre-assembled. All the clamps and rubber connectors are already in place so you don't have to mess with it. Hotshot just gives you a box of parts with "some assembly required." The Place Racing model is EASIER to install.

6. Place Racing gives you a grommet to place around the fenderwell opening to protect the intake. Hotshot does not.

I'll tell you what. I feel like a fool for not buying the Place Racing CAI to begin with. Their product is better engineered, is put together with much greater care, and makes the Hotshot intake look like a joke!

I hope you guys take this into consideration when purchacing your next CAI. Since I believe I am the only person to have had both a Hotshot and Place Racing intake, I can tell you the Place Racing Model is the one to buy!

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd. Cloud White.

·
Registered
446 Posts
man, no one ever listens to me! see I told ya max PRI all the way!

-iLL

------------------
2001 Sentra SE w/ Performance Package-Place Racing CAI- Stromung Full Cat-back- Custom Grille-Pioneer DEHP 7300 + 4x TS-1675's-
[email protected] mph

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are roughly the same price. About $205 with the filter.

Ill- Yeah, I should have listened to everyone. But, just as many people were saying get the Hotshot. Oh well, at least now I have a good intake!

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd. Cloud White.

·
Registered
446 Posts
yea and you know what else! you are keeping your car so there!

-iLL

------------------
2001 Sentra SE w/ Performance Package-Place Racing CAI- Stromung Full Cat-back- Custom Grille-Pioneer DEHP 7300 + 4x TS-1675's-
[email protected] mph

·
Registered
119 Posts
This doesn't surprise me at all. Place Racing has made the best CAI for SR20DE's for a while now. This is Hotshots first attempt at a CAI. I always say stick with the proven. Thanks for the great insight Max!

------------------
rschauby

2001 Sentra SE w/PP auto (radium)
FOR SALE!
I want the new SE-R!

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
iLLt3cK said:
man, no one ever listens to me! see I told ya max PRI all the way!

-iLL

------------------
[email protected] mph
Hey iLL, you are definitely right! Max, I love my application man, it's one of the greatest mods and of the best quality. Gilbert hooks it up at PR!

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
JapSpec Sentra said:
Thanks for the info!!!!!!!! Does anyone know about how much hp it adds?
Well, the HP is around 7-13 HP as just an estimate. I think the last dyno was checking in around 9 HP. Tell me if I'm wrong guys. Also, seat of the pants is much better, seriously, and I don't like trying mods with claimed HP gains. I know it works, and it feels great!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Is this still true? Or has Hot Shot imporved in the quality dept?

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
as for the price of the hotshot intake..........there's a group buy going on now for $149.

Cdn.........if you think your intake is built well than it is.......earlier gens of hotshot products had been known occasionally to be shoddy.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Could anyone setup a Group Buy for the place racing CAI? If it were around 160 I would consider it. I know that is asking alot, but I think they would get a flood.

·
Registered
258 Posts
chimmike said:
as for the price of the hotshot intake..........there's a group buy going on now for $149.

Cdn.........if you think your intake is built well than it is.......earlier gens of hotshot products had been known occasionally to be shoddy.
Yeah it seems pretty well built!

I can't wait to put it on real soon

Hope the rest of the people in the group buy get their intakes soon! Its not fair that i ordered AFTER you guys and i got it first! :(

·
Registered
126 Posts
maxximtl said:
2. The Place Racing CAI is coated on the INSIDE and OUTSIDE. The Hotshot is only coated on the outside. This means that the interior of the Hotshot intake can rust since it is unprotected. The Place Racing model is protected on all sides.

If the pipe is made of aluminum then how is it going to rust?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hole423 said:

If the pipe is made of aluminum then how is it going to rust?
HOLE! how do you like the CAI? make any difference? did you advance you IGNITION timing (other thread about timing)??

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
i won't know until I get mine, but from the looks of it, and what Keith Sipmann says, he likes his a lot.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
I LOVE mine, and totally agree with all the positive comments. I'm so happy with it.(and should be for the $438CDN it cost me for an air filter!)

·
Registered
258 Posts
audio1der said:
I LOVE mine, and totally agree with all the positive comments. I'm so happy with it.(and should be for the $438CDN it cost me for an air filter!)
I paid $198 US shipped and Border charges! for a brand new HS CAI.

$438 is WAAAAY too much (IMO) but everyone seems to like their PRI.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Holy blast from the past topic. I saw that thread and recognized it, it's even got maxx's old screen name. lol

1 - 20 of 49 Posts