B15 Sentra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Bootlegger
1,280 Posts
I need to post pictures when I finally make it home from Wichita. I have a Samick Custom Electric and a 1972 Harmony Acoustic. I just bought a Line 6 Spider not too long ago. It is a pretty damn good practice amp.

·
Registered
566 Posts
One day I'll post my entire rig as soon as I get a nice rack to hold all my guitars and my new laptop comes in...2 GHz duo core proc with 2 Gigs of 533MHz ram. Delicious.

·
Bootlegger
1,280 Posts
I just bought this because I think my Samick custom is a little old and needs work.

And I am replacing the bridge humbucker with a Seymour Duncan SP-1 model 59. That should make it sound better than a Gibson LP Studio. Anyone ever rewire the whole guitar. I may do that so it will last for years and sound the best.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Rewiring the entire guitar is coslty but is quite easily the best way to assure a good quality install. If you're going to rewire the whole thing, you should change all the electronics:

Bridge Pickup, Neck Pickup, (JB/59 is a good set as is the EMG 81/85), Toggle Switch, Volume/Tone pots, and input jack [if you buy the EMGs it'll come with all those except the switch.] It is also a good time to add other mini-switches if you go with passive pickups (phase switches, on/off switches, and coil taps.)

·
Bootlegger
1,280 Posts
ThePhilosopher said:
Rewiring the entire guitar is coslty but is quite easily the best way to assure a good quality install. If you're going to rewire the whole thing, you should change all the electronics:

Bridge Pickup, Neck Pickup, (JB/59 is a good set as is the EMG 81/85), Toggle Switch, Volume/Tone pots, and input jack [if you buy the EMGs it'll come with all those except the switch.] It is also a good time to add other mini-switches if you go with passive pickups (phase switches, on/off switches, and coil taps.)
I dont see why it would be costly if I bought stuff from an electronics supply company instead of a guitar shop. As far as I can see the stuff is generally the same if you get fitment right. I dunno, I might just replace the pickups for now.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've gone through a couple of electronics changes in my guitars before and I know that to put EMG 81/85 set it cost me $200 with the strings and the install+setup.

·
Bootlegger
1,280 Posts
ThePhilosopher said:
I've gone through a couple of electronics changes in my guitars before and I know that to put EMG 81/85 set it cost me $200 with the strings and the install+setup.
I am going to stick wtht seymour duncan, so the other electronics will be bought seperately.

·
Bootlegger
1,280 Posts
I recently bought a guitar to travel with but didnt like it when I played in a few amps. So, today I traded that guitar (Cort SG copy) towards something I had wanted for a while:

Fender Mexi Telecaster
It was dropped so the base has a tiny dent. Because of this the price was set at 50% off. I was going to buy the mexi Strat, but I couldnt pass up the deal. I will probably replace the pickups on this one with Seymour Duncan Blues pickups, as well as add a tremolo. I couldnt buy just one thing either. I bought a beastly case that will allow me to take the guitar on flights, and an amp that I have wanted for a while:

Epiphone Valve Special Class A 10w tube amp. You cant find a better sounding amp for less than $600. I cant wait to get it home and try my Les Paul on this amp. There is no replacement for the all tube tone. I am pretty worried about getting it home. I dont know how the airline will like me taking it as carry on. I was going to buy the Valve standard but I knew I could not get it home by plane. On a side note, when I was looking at which guitar to get, I was playing through a Vox all tube 212 modeling amp. I think if I keep improving at the rate I am going, I will be purchasing one of these in the near future. The Vox had one of the nicest tones for everything clean to dirty. I spent 3 hours playing my Tele today, and could easily spend 3 more.

·
Bootlegger
1,280 Posts
My Les Paul has alot of fret buzz right now. I have adjusted the bridge all I can with no success. I think I may have to take it to someone so they can adjust the neck.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have an NJ Series BC Rich Bich, black body with dark wood fretboard. I'd need to get a picture...

I don't play much in the summer, though. It's more of a "rainy day/winter toy" for me.

·
Bootlegger
1,280 Posts
KrAsH said:
I have an NJ Series BC Rich Bich, black body with dark wood fretboard. I'd need to get a picture...

I don't play much in the summer, though. It's more of a "rainy day/winter toy" for me.
I try to play every couple of days. I get a little too busy sometimes.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I play everyday, some days for hours others for just minutes.

I know some aren't into the whole embracing of technology movement in music; however, I did and I've loved every minute of it. Besides I'm also a producer for a local band.

·
Bootlegger
1,280 Posts
ThePhilosopher said:
I play everyday, some days for hours others for just minutes.

I know some aren't into the whole embracing of technology movement in music; however, I did and I've loved every minute of it. Besides I'm also a producer for a local band.
It isnt about wanting to be old school or accepting technology. It is about finding that tone that makes you smile. I could play solid state amps and digital devices all day, but nothing can sound just like a simple tube amp. I have tried to find something similar, but even the expensive tube crunch modeling boxes sound digital to me. There is a reason that Marshall, Vox, and Fender sell so many tube amps, and it is called tone. I never knew what I was missing until I started playing on some tube amps. Now, I dont think I will ever be able to go back. I just think some people like different things. You are probably big into effects and want a super clean sound. I prefer simplicity and a warm sound, but I dont mind some noise.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'll gladly admit that tube tone will always be warmer than digital; however, I've never found the tone that I've liked from a tube amp. Hell, I don't even use an amp anymore. The amount of post-processing I do is minimal; however, I do spend a good long while "inventing" my digital tone.

However, I think if you're going to record anything you will be facing a lot of processing, and it's easier for me acheive my goals than it is for you because my setup speaks a more relevanat language.

Say digital is Latin and you're getting to French there's a simple step. However, if tube is Ancient Egyptian then you've to get to Latin or Greek first.

Honestly I use an amp model and reverb and delay; however, it's what I can modify on the fly within these parameters that help me get where I want to be sonically. Check www.myspace.com/thecommonknowledgeproject . I know the recording is bad (I hadn't rehearsed in about a month on that song,) but that's the sound I'm going for.

·
Bootlegger
1,280 Posts
ThePhilosopher said:
I'll gladly admit that tube tone will always be warmer than digital; however, I've never found the tone that I've liked from a tube amp. Hell, I don't even use an amp anymore. The amount of post-processing I do is minimal; however, I do spend a good long while "inventing" my digital tone.

However, I think if you're going to record anything you will be facing a lot of processing, and it's easier for me acheive my goals than it is for you because my setup speaks a more relevanat language.

Say digital is Latin and you're getting to French there's a simple step. However, if tube is Ancient Egyptian then you've to get to Latin or Greek first.

Honestly I use an amp model and reverb and delay; however, it's what I can modify on the fly within these parameters that help me get where I want to be sonically. Check www.myspace.com/thecommonknowledgeproject . I know the recording is bad (I hadn't rehearsed in about a month on that song,) but that's the sound I'm going for.
I am not recording, nor do I have a reason to. This is a hobby and I only play what sounds good to me. If I was ever good enough to want a recording, I guess there would be some digital modeling. I will stay lowtech for now.

21 - 40 of 109 Posts