B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think my MAF has finally went...81k miles.
I started the car and it just shuddered till the engine died. I pulled the plug off the MAF and the car starts and runs but, obviously, wont run over 2k revs since its in safe mode. When I plug it back in and start it, it does the same thing and dies. I unplugged the battery to clear any codes and started the car with the MAF plug connected and it died.
The thing is that the car had started dying when i would start the car and put it in gear for the past few months....I figured it was just do for a throttle cleaning...I dunno what do yall think...MAF or no?
Also, where can I get a MAF for cheap? :(

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Why do you think your MAF went out? They just don't go bad by themselves. What kind of mods do you have?

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
jmac2043 said:
cai, header, pulley, exhaust

i think its the maf bc when I start the car with the plug going to the MAF pulled out it starts and runs fine...then when I start the car with the plug connected to the MAF it starts then shudders to a stop.
I know why you think it's the MAF, but I just want to make sure that you didn't over oil your air filter causing the MAF to go bad. Definitely clean it to make sure it's still functional. A MAF is just too expensive just to not try to clean it first to see what's up. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks marvin...I am gonna pull it out tomm and try to clean it up...i dont have any carb spray nor do I have any means to get some...could you reccomend another way to clean it up?
also, do you know what type/size screwdriver I would need to get the MAF out?
thanks man

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Hehe, I can tell you don't have any TOOLS. :D Carb cleaner you can get at any local car parts store. I would maybe get it out and just check for residue, but don't touch it or mess around with the sensor itself. As far as what size is what, you will know exactly what it is when you get it out. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same problem with my QG studdering and dying out, but it wasn't MAF. The crank sensor was recalled so I had it replaced, and it's been running since then. Have you checked your crank sensor?

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
jmac2043 said:
no I have tools...just not any "torx" screwdrivers

ie:
;) I know what a torx screwdriver is. An allen head set will be your friend for this one. :D

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
jmac2043 said:
ahhhhhhhhh soooooooooo

yeah i will give that a try thx :)
Good luck and hope it just needs cleaned. :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ya know the more i think about this the more things seem plausible...air leak in one of the lines or boots on the intake...crank sensor....etc

all i know is that when in park or neutral the engine will keep runnig as long as i give it some gas when i hear the revs drop but as soon as i drop it in drive or reverse it dies...i dont know what to think.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
jmac2043 said:
ya know the more i think about this the more things seem plausible...air leak in one of the lines or boots on the intake...crank sensor....etc

all i know is that when in park or neutral the engine will keep runnig as long as i give it some gas when i hear the revs drop but as soon as i drop it in drive or reverse it dies...i dont know what to think.
Doesn't sound like the MAF to me with those indications....sorry man, I'm not a mechanic. :D

Edit: My buddy had a MAF problem with over oiling and I think it did the same thing. Still clean and inspect the MAF just in case. Check EVERYTHING under the hood for anything at all that might have came loose. It might be something really silly, hopefully.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah I checked for any oily spots...could only find some very light oily spots on the piece of the intake between the maf and throttle near the breather hose coming from the valve cover, but thats pretty normal.

I dunno...the more i think about the more I wanna think its a vacuum leak...ya know...when the engine moves when shifted into either D or R perhaps the leak gets more exposed then it bogs????...i dunno :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts