B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I can see how this is a scam.

But, today I was at a local Import shop and I saw something very similar.

An intake with a heatshield from Tucan Industries, and some rubber tubbing that goes down into the fenderwell. 50$ CND for the Filter/Heatshield, and 80$ CND for the tubbing.

Now I know this is no were NEAR as good as a full CAI from PR. BUT, that would cost me with exchange and shipping and taxe, probably 500$

So what you guys think about this setup ? Now dont try comparing it to the PR CAI, I know it aint the same, but for the price, and... probably a temporary setup, would it be good ? or worthless ?

Keep in mind, my current setup is a pop cone, and its taking in WAY too much warm air.

thanks.

G

·
Where are you planning on running the tubing from? The problem is that your assuming that air is actually flowing with great enough speed to make a difference. Now, let me address a seperate issue.

Heatsoak occurs when there is little or not air movement in the engine compartment to dissapate heat. This kills HP for intakes that draw air from the engine compartment. So, when does this occur? When your sitting at a stoplight, or in the staging lanes. Now, how is a tube gonna help you out then? Your not moving! Your still gonna lose performance until you get adequate airflow to cool the underhood temperatures. The tube *might* help once you are moving, but where are you gonna pull air from? I doubt there is any air flowing into the fenderwell considering how sealed off it is. YOu'd have to pull it from a source that was directly exposed to the environment. That would be tough to do without going under the car. Then you have to ask yourself what the end result is going to be. YOur still gonna get heatsoak when stopped, so it doesn't help you at all there. The only possible benefit would be at elevated speeds of say 45MPH or more.

I'd say find a way to get a PR CAI. It sucks for the members up north, but maybe you can find a way to make it reasonably priced. It is a much better solution to the problem.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well this tubbing is long enough, and is flexible.

My question is where does the PR CAI get ITS air source from ? This tubbing could probably get it from the exact same place. Only differences are 1. Rubber tubbing instead of Mandrel Bend Stainless steel. and 2. Filter with heat shield is close to engine, instead of being down below.

So where does the PR CAI get its source from ?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
it goes to the left of the battery down in the fender, away from the engine

G

·
Your forgetting one thing here.....The intake sucks air....literally. The pressure in the intake tube is less than that of the surrounding atmosphere...think of a N/A engine as a big airpump.

The tube is just sitting there. Unless you directly connect it to the filter (which may not be a good idea,) it isn't going to "flow" air until there is adequate airspeed to force the air up there.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, this is the setup.

tube going to a place with cold air, Tube is connected to the heatshielf completely surrounding and encompassing the air filter, air filter/heatshield connected to the MAF.

So like I said, the 2 differences are, its rubber tubbing instead of steel, and the air filter is directly conencted to the MAF instead of being down, below.

So do you mean, being that the air filter is up in the chain and not the first thing down below, it wont suck up as much air ? I can see where your going if thats what your saying, just want to clarify.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh and do keep in mind, this is a 130$ +/- setup, compared to 500$ for the PR CAI. So Im not expecting the same performance gains, but I just want to get rid of some of the sluggish ness from a standard pop cone intake

·
Registered
347 Posts
i was thinking like you are... if a C.A.I is just a big tube that gets air from a different place in the engine compartment then why can we just make a tube that will get air from the same place.

Since their is not eletronics(that i know of) no the CIA, we should be able to make something like it for cheap.

What do ya think?

·
Registered
623 Posts
if u use those aluminum duct pipes, they will calapse under vacum pressure from the intake. so they will not work, unless u go cut, bend, weld, and paint ur own aluminum pipes which will then cost more and the time waisted to make that. so i would suggest u guys not to be rice and just buy the cai.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont know, Chino world you just raised something good.

The PR CAI is 227 $ USD at IPP.

Using xe.com/ucc I converted that to 352$ CND.

Add the taxes I would have to pay at the border, thats 404$ CND.

Now with shipping, I would say anywhere between 450$ and 500$

Lets used the lowest possible price. 450$.

For 450$, I could pay someone to work for a full day and make me the correct piping for my own CAI.

Now, I just thought of this idea, and maybe Im dreaming, but I think its very possible I could get something done, for much cheaper than the PR or Hotshot CAI.

Dont get me wrong, Im SURE the PR and Hotshot CAI's are way better than anything I could develope. And if I lived in the US they would already be under my hood, but considering the ENORMOUS cost of importing stuff from the US, this might be a better idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts