B15 Sentra Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Simian Rex
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
You're mostly right, though I can't comment on where the piston sits when the suspension is under static load. I can say, however, that my SE/PP has about 2.5" of droop travel from static load, and probably about the same compression travel...stock.

The only way to downgrade springs is to take a Spec or a PP and install XE or GXE springs. Just about any other spring (except for the obsolete Pro Kits) are still heavier than a Spec spring. The lighter the aftermarket spring, though, the longer your dampers will last (thermal fatique).

Don't worry about the bumpstops too much; they're pretty durable. A good alternative would be Koni or ES polycell bumpstops if you're feeling paranoid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm more concerned that hitting the bumpstops during cornering loads will cause unpredictable handling characteristics, since bumpstops basically make your spring rates go up infinitly. Obviously not a good situation. With modern suspension technology, you shouldn't have to ever have to hit your bumpstops, IMO.

Maybe those uppermounts I saw in another thread, that allow for more compression travel, would help the situation...

I kinda wish someone made a little longer spring, or maybe even one that was the same length as stock, but stiffer.

Maybe a set of Ground Control coilovers with Linear rate springs.. I could preload the spring, and allow for more suspension travel that way.. (do they even make GC's for the spec-v?)

·
Simian Rex
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
IO_SpecV_DeV said:
I find it interesting that no one has commented on the Tein S-Type springs. They give a mild drop while lessening the spring rate by a good amount.
ACK! I just got back from the Tein web site, and these springs SUCK! I'm sure they ride nicer, but they will only hurt handling. The front rate is just about stock, and the rear rate is significantly LOWER than stock (nearly 50lb/in). They'll lower your center of gravity, but you'll be riding on the bumpstops half the time anyway, and won't be able to enjoy it...

·
Simian Rex
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Sykikchimp said:
With modern suspension technology, you shouldn't have to ever have to hit your bumpstops, IMO.
Right, but without relocating the upper mount or shortening the rod, a lowering spring makes this a fact of life.
Maybe those uppermounts I saw in another thread, that allow for more compression travel, would help the situation...
I'm talking to somebody who knows about this stuff now. The outlook is not sunny, especially if you don't like the idea of cutting holes in your strut tower.
I kinda wish someone made a little longer spring, or maybe even one that was the same length as stock, but stiffer.
Why? Spec-Vs are already underdamped and faster than most previous-generation SE-Rs that have been heavily modified. The Spec's weakness isn't rate, it's control.
Maybe a set of Ground Control coilovers with Linear rate springs.. I could preload the spring, and allow for more suspension travel that way.. (do they even make GC's for the spec-v?)
Yes, they do. IIRC, the rate is something like 300 even (F&R), which is still an excellent configuration, as long as you're not using OEM dampers. For rates this high, you definitely want Koni inserts.

I'd be pretty happy with 200/300 (~50lb/in higher than a Spec-V) springs with long coils to avoid coil bind. Again, Konis will be necessary, and relocating the front strut mount +2" would help oodles. Maybe Scott can work that out...

·
Registered
113 Posts
couldn't you have said something like 'push and pull cycles' or 'spring bounces' instead of oscillations? reading that word brings back headaches... from physics and digital logic... oww

·
Now I have two boys!
2,356 Posts
Blast from the past. /

61 - 69 of 69 Posts