B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering why and where this buzz noise is coming from at around 3000 rpm. The shifter is like a vibrator and even my keys on the steering column are vibrating.

Anyone else concerned about that, cos it's really annoying!

------------------
Se Red Cajun
5speed
P/P
K'N filter
Racing pedals

·
Registered
312 Posts
Common complaint... what can we say... you get used to it. A few more dampeners would have been nice, but...

------------------
2001 Sentra SE, PP, 5-Speed, Sunroof.

PR CAI (in da mail), Kenwood KFC-1738Cs (in da back), gas cap holder (on da side)

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Could be anything... the door panels, somewhere behind the guage cluster, somewhere behind the passenger dash, or the sunglass holder. I have all of these. That ol SR20 loves to purr, eh? Welcome to the wonderful world of Sentra rattles. :D

------------------
Jae
'00 SE w/ stuff
Seeking SOHC VTEC once again...

·
Registered
778 Posts
its the sun glass holder next to the map lights. had the same problem. just drive around 3k until you hear it, then try touch the sun glass holder, itll stop. not really sure bout how to stop it, feel kind of wobbly. but over time, you dont even notice it.

------------------
2000 sentra se
pp, 5spd

·
Registered
104 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guy_geo:
Just wondering why and where this buzz noise is coming from at around 3000 rpm. The shifter is like a vibrator and even my keys on the steering column are vibrating.

Anyone else concerned about that, cos it's really annoying!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't think I have noticed this one much at all. Hmm...I want to check this out tomorrow to see if I have the same problem. :)

------------------
Marvin
2000 Nissan Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 spd, Avalanche
Current Mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake

G

·
I had the same problem with my sunglasses holder. It's not vibrating now though. I also have a vibration coming from the drivers side door moulding.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd. Cloud White.
-For Sale!

·
Lebowski Urban Achiever
275 Posts
Like the previous posters said, it's the sunglass holder. Mine buzzed like a Motorola pager last year. However, I haven't heard a peep from it since February.

Now if only the steering column would stop rattling...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thats wierd, cuz i havent had anything rattle in my car while driving. I only have a rattle when my music and bass is up really loud and thats to be expected.

------------------
Charles

2001 Sentra SE, P/P, 5spd, Inferno with HyperWhite headlights and fogs.

PR CAI on the way, looking into Stromung Exhaust

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh ya, the rattles. I get a rattle in the dash whenever it is colder out. I just turn on the defrost for a bit and as the dash and car warm up, the rattle goes away. Have a rattle in the door panel sometimes too, Can be very annoying , I had less rattles in my 86 Pontiac Fiero LOL :)

http://members.tripod.com/bopque/sentra/

------------------
2001 SE, Radium, W/SP. 37% all around tint, Dark charcoal leather interior.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Here's the explanation, but it won't help-probably. Every object has a critical frequency. For your sunglass holder- If you were to hit it with a hammer and not break it -you would find it would vibrate at about 3000 cycles per second. Now when the engine gets to 3000 rpm it gets "excited" by that 3000 rpm so it then vibrates at its critical frequency. The solution if it vibrates at 3000 rpm don't drive there or remove it. But then something else in your that may have a critical frequency of say 2500 rpm. Oh- one other thing - if cou can change the shape or weight or something with the sunglass holder it won't vibrate there. Hope that helps- not. :D :D :D

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Simian Rex
3,213 Posts
Not to be, erm, critical, but I've always heard the term "resonant frequency", which is exactly what you described, adc100.

As for the shifter, I think it's kinda' cool. :) I'm used to owning 75kMi+ vehicles, where all of the rattles came pre-enabled. The SE is my first new car, and the shifter rattle is it's own way of saying, "Welcome home, Jon!" :cool:

·
Registered
561 Posts
i like the shifter rattle. it lets me know my rpm's by vibration feel so i can blast the stereo and keep my eyes peeled to the road, not the rpm gauge. as for all the other vibrations i wish not to comment since we didnt buy audi's here. made in mexico, remember?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I used to have a buzzy noise at around 3700rpms but ever sicne I switched to synthetic oil, its smoothed it out considerable. Its almost has a turbinish dare I say it, Honda like sound.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: Rattling sunglass holder

christian691 said:
Anybody figure out a way to stop that annoying rattling in the sunglass holder yet? I tried to ignore it, but even my friends are noticing it. It's kind of embarassing for a 4-week old car . . .:(
For the record, I was playing with my sunglass holder the other day, and a really small piece of black foam fell down. I almost didn't notice it. Anyway, my sunglass holder started buzzing after that. I found the little piece of black foam that fell out and glued it back in place - buzzing stopped. I don't know if that's your problem, but it might be. Look for a poorly glued piece of black foam, about 1/4 the size of the tip of your finger, where the sunglass holder latches. If it's not there - find some foam and stick it on. Problem will stop (assuming it's the same problem I had). Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
next time it bothers you just start punching and kicking everything until you find what's causing it... that usually works for me. then you gotta hold it all the way home till it doesn't buzz anymore

·
Car Noob
1,826 Posts
what about the door handles? Anyone?

I tried looking at the Crutchfield diagrams (for the stereo/speaker installation) but all it say is "pry it". I looked at it, and tried prying it gently, but I still don't know where the retention tabs are.

I was thinking about prying it off and putting some thin black foam inbetween. Hopefully cutting the foam to the exact size so once installed, no one can see it. This will shut up most of the noise.

then a battle plan for the center stack.

I also notice that my front dash (above the gauges) is rattling... and i confirmed that it is loose (moves when you tug at it). Uhg!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts