B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this information from Mobil today. If you were on the fence as whether to switch earlier rather than later this might help your decision. Quote:

"You can start using Mobil 1 in new vehicles at any time. In fact Mobil 1 is the factory fill for the Corvette LT-1 and LT-5 engines. One of the myths that persists about Mobil 1 is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As the decision by the engineers who design the Corvette engine indicates, Mobil 1 can be used in an engine from the day you drive the car off the show room floor."

For what its worth. I changed at 32 miles.

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
is there any truth to what i've heard that once you switch to synthetic oil you should stay with it for the duration of the vehicles life?????

It's just something I heard and would like to clearify it....

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back,Place Racing CAI (in my hands ready to be put on)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

***My Website***

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sentra Styling... You can switch back and forth if you want- no problem. The only "problem" you have is that if you have been running conventional oils for a long time, the syn will get darker quicker at first as it cleans up your engine. It's just a matter of appearance but I would change it when it approaches the black, non transparant color.

Al

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
Something I've always been told (by Dad) is to stay with the same brand/type. Do not switch back and forth at each oil change.

FWIW, I used to use Catrol GTX 10w30 in my 92 Topaz. At 158k miles, the engine was clean, no sludge, ran smooth.

------------------
2000 SE w/ PP auto in Heatwave

·
Registered
259 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by adc100:
One of the myths that persists about Mobil 1 is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. "

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

funny...if it's not needed, why is it recommended in the owner's manual??

------------------
MY PAGE

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mobil doesn't say break in is not needed. It says break in with conventional oil is not needed.

Al

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Registered
119 Posts
Actually there is a reason not to switch to synthetic. On higher milage engines that have been running dyno oil their whole life, switching to synthetic can cause a whole lot of oil leaks. The synthetic oil causes the seals to shrink and develop leaks. Ask the guys on SE-R.net who have higher milage cars. If you guys ever plan on switching to synthetic you have to make up your mind sooner.

------------------
rschauby

2001 Sentra SE w/PP auto (radium)
1998 SE-R 5spd

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It depends. Seals in cars newer than probably early 80's won't be affected. Syn oil can cause seals to leak because it cleans out the old deposits and it does leak through smaller crevices. There is a small risk but to me the proven benefits are worth it. I did have a main oil seal just go out on a '92 Corsica with 140,000 miles. It has been running on syn since '95. Did the syn cause the leak? Don't know but the engine uses no - and I mean no oil. Seems like it's worth it.

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I meant to say cars after early eighties won't be affected. :eek: DUH!

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well....look at the source of that information.....my raincoat salesman says that umbrellas aren't really all that effective...

------------------
mexican heartache-GXE, refuelling convienence pkg. engine warmer, shaggy car mats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts