B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard a lot on this board regarding suspension modifications. However, I am a little lost with the elementary terms of suspensions.

What are struts? Shocks? Coil-overs? Springs? Sway bars?

Also, what kind of suspension does the b15 Sentra have? Are the stock ones any good?

Any clarification is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wow!!! You are asking a lot for one question. I'll give you a very brief answer.

The springs are what hold a car up and help keep the tire on the ground. Cars don't do to well if the tires aren't being pushed toward the ground.

Shocks and struts do the same thing. They are their to absorb the extra energy from the spring. Springs have a tendency to oscillate and the shock prevent them from doing that (this is a very short answer, there is much more that the shocks do but that would take books to explain). The difference between shocks and struts is easy to point out. Struts are built to house the bottom of the spring on the bottom half of the strut. Shocks are just tube looking pipes.

Coilovers is another suspension setup that use springs and shocks. The spring is literaly coiled around the shock. This takes up very little room. Coilovers are usually the most expensive because they usually provide for adjustable height and are very good performers.

Sway bars, or a.k.a anti-roll bars work to prevent body roll. They are extremely hard to understand but I'll try. When turning in your car you place quite a load on the inside suspension. The outside suspension almost sits there. The roll bar basically takes energy from the outside springs and uses it to help the inside springs, basically giving the inside springs more spring rate.

I hope I made sense. If I didn't you getter just go read a book. A very big book, because suspensions sre very complex.

------------------
rschauby

2001 Sentra SE w/PP auto (radium)
1998 SE-R 5spd

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rschauby:
Wow!!! You are asking a lot for one question. I'll give you a very brief answer.

The springs are what hold a car up and help keep the tire on the ground. Cars don't do to well if the tires aren't being pushed toward the ground.

Shocks and struts do the same thing. They are their to absorb the extra energy from the spring. Springs have a tendency to oscillate and the shock prevent them from doing that (this is a very short answer, there is much more that the shocks do but that would take books to explain). The difference between shocks and struts is easy to point out. Struts are built to house the bottom of the spring on the bottom half of the strut. Shocks are just tube looking pipes.

Coilovers is another suspension setup that use springs and shocks. The spring is literaly coiled around the shock. This takes up very little room. Coilovers are usually the most expensive because they usually provide for adjustable height and are very good performers.

Sway bars, or a.k.a anti-roll bars work to prevent body roll. They are extremely hard to understand but I'll try. When turning in your car you place quite a load on the inside suspension. The outside suspension almost sits there. The roll bar basically takes energy from the outside springs and uses it to help the inside springs, basically giving the inside springs more spring rate.

I hope I made sense. If I didn't you getter just go read a book. A very big book, because suspensions sre very complex.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree but sumned up very well

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back,Place Racing CAI (in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

***My Website***

·
Registered
62 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rschauby:
......I hope I made sense. If I didn't you getter just go read a book. A very big book, because suspensions are very complex.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Competition Car Suspension"
Allan Staniforth", 1988

"Performance Handling"
Don Alexander, 1991

Old issues of Car&Driver, and Road & Track that I have but don't have on hand right now.

Then you can read books/watch videos/attend "racing school's" to get an idea of how to drive "aggressively" and get a better idea of what to look for in suspension feel and mods.

As it was said before, this is not a simple subject, but if you do your research, you'll be more knowledgeable and know better.

------------------
911 / 944 / 935 Turbo, F355, F40, early Ferrari's, Z06 Vette, RX7, WRX, Lingenfelter Viper, 300ZX, Shelby Cobra, GT40, Copo Camaro's, Countach, McLaren F1, '70 Challenger T/A, Parnelli Jones Mustang, any Mustang's up to '69, Eleanor [Gone in 60 sec], whatever Carroll Shelby touches...
My dream.......is a heated 100 car garage, a nice little house and a racetrack for my driveway......oh yes, a gorgeous & rich wife would be nice too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts