331 Posts
Year: 2001
Make: NISSAN
Model: SENTRA
Manufactured From: JUL 2000 To: APR 2001
Year of Recall: '01
Type of Report: Vehicle
Summary:

Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. One or more of the three bolts used to attach each front suspension lower control arm to the body on the left and right sides may not have been properly manufactured.

The bolts could fracture, increasing the risk of a crash.

Dealers will replace the lower control arm attachment bolts. Owner notification is expected to begin by the end of June 2001. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Nissan at 1-800-647-7261.

(editing this post to add useful info to the first post -david)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your right, there is a recall by Nissan on the 2001 Nissan Sentra. You can find it here at this URL http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recmmy1.cfm

There is a problem with one or more of the three bolts used to attach each front suspension lower control arm to the body. Nissan is supposed to notify Sentra owners by the end of June 2001.

It looks like the recall is occuring in both the US and Canada.

[Edited by Broch on 06-06-2001 at 12:29 AM]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oh $#!* a recall. Hopefully the dealer will have things set up so I can go in and out, none of this "leave the car with us for two weeks" crap.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 2000 GXE which is built around July 2000. Will it be in the recall list? The recall is for 2001 built from July 2000.
I guess I can wait and see if I get a letter from them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
zhz said:
I have a 2000 GXE which is built around July 2000. Will it be in the recall list? The recall is for 2001 built from July 2000.
I guess I can wait and see if I get a letter from them.
Oh nuts, a recall. I hope this doesn't bode poorly for the long-term reliability of our vehicles.

Anyway, I just called the local Nissan dealer. According to them, only vehicles in certain VIN ranges built within the recallable period are affected. The dealer just received the recall bulletin a few days ago, and the replacement bolts aren't in yet.

DL

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
I checked on this with my Dad. The VIN on mine doesn't come up as being under any recall (including the rumored ECU reprogram). I'm told the 2001's are being done first, but didn't pressure for any further info.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Dam a recall, I've only had my car a week! :)

Potential Number of Units Affected: 80000

Anyone know where I can find my car's "birthdate?"

·
Registered
376 Posts
NYC_MiKee said:
Dam a recall, I've only had my car a week! :)

Potential Number of Units Affected: 80000

Anyone know where I can find my car's "birthdate?"
To find out when the car was made, just open the drivers-side door and look in the lower-right corner on the cars body. There should be a sticker there which tells you the info.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well Guys, my gf is very happy. Not only did she get her oil change on her SE but they also fixed the recall and fix the noisy sunroof caused by a rattling plastic piece. She can't stop saying how happy she is now. I'm next.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
It's now June 7, and mine is ther first they've seen for the recall. Thank-you VERY much for posting this, and bringing it to our attention!

G

·
I called my dealer about it today too. My car falls within the manufacturing dates listed. They had no idea what I was talking about. So, they had to call Nissan and will call me back....eventually. hahaha

·
Registered
446 Posts
01SR20DE

should I worry about my lowered spring install seeing as how the recall affects my car (11/00)?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No problem for posting the info! That's why we are on this board!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recall

Does anyone know what the symptoms of the bolt failure are. I have a 2000 Sentra GXE 5spd built in 2/2000. It keeps making a pop noise like something is binding or shifting when I make slow tight turns. It does it on and off. Of course it won't do it when I take it to the dealership. The sound is different from a cv joint failing. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Actual Recall Bulletin?

Can anyone post the actual bulletin that the dealer will receive instructing them on the procedure? It would interesting...

Bolt torque? I would guess that they would want to remove and replace each bolt one at a time. Removing all the bolts at once may cause the need for an alignment to be done when completed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
goiing under the "knife" on Saturday. I am hoping Brown %& Brown does a better job with this than they did with my 1st oil change.:eek:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Big Dog said:
goiing under the "knife" on Saturday. I am hoping Brown %& Brown does a better job with this than they did with my 1st oil change.:eek:
Ditto here, except that the recall work is scheduled for 8 a.m. this Friday (tomorrow). The replacement of the suspension bolts seems a simple enough task--I'm actually more worried about them not using the correct lift points when raising the vehicle, and damaging the underside. Perhaps I'll politely ask the service advisor to let me "sit in" on the job...

DL

1 - 20 of 37 Posts