B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Slappy McGear Slapper
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just kinda wondering about this idea for a couple weeks and it seems feasible. If a supercharger is belt driven, like the AC system then is it possible to have an on/off switch for the supercharger? If not why, if so then how hard would that be? Just kinda wondering.

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
a supercharger is connected to the engine via the belt from the blower to the crank pulley......when the engine RPMs increase......the blower increase its air intake, thus increasing its boost......the amount of boost a supercharger makes is dependent on the size of the pulley on the blower.....the smaller the pulley the more boost is made....so i'm not sure why or how you would disengage a supercharger

Late,
Daniel

·
14.09 @ 95.53mph!!
495 Posts
I know the old dodge RAM Chargers had a switch to turn on and off the blower on their motors, and I once met a guy with a supercharged BMW 3.18ti and was told he saved alot of gas mileage with it off.

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
i don't think it's possible, seeing as how the a/c uses a clutch to engage...the pulley is always turning no matter what, but it uses an internal clutch to engage the compressor.................................

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sunburst03 said:
so i'm not sure why or how you would disengage a supercharger
turn it off ...race for 500 and lose.
the turn it on and go double or nothing :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
it's possible. the complexity is pretty high though. there was a shop putting a kit together for honda's a while back, but quit the development. the pulley isn't so bad if you use the AC/clutch pulley. but once the extra air is forced in, you need more fuel... would be a neat project though.

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
you'd have to find a way to have a totally different setting for the fuel with and without it, plus if you had an intercooler, people would see it anyways.....

btw....fuel consumption is determined by your foot more than a supercharger. if you're light on it, it won't swallow gas.

·
Banned
2,745 Posts
UnderJerseySkie said:
turn it off ...race for 500 and lose.
the turn it on and go double or nothing :D
he he, you think like me :) , sounds like you have a bit of experience hustling people on the street if you catch my drift.

·
Owner
1,650 Posts

·
14.09 @ 95.53mph!!
495 Posts
well they did make a supercharger for the Dodge RAM Chargers that was able to be turned on and off chimmike explain that

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
NatlCitySentra said:
well they did make a supercharger for the Dodge RAM Chargers that was able to be turned on and off chimmike explain that
explain what? it's OEM, they have multi million dollar budgets to spend on anything they need. What you're talking about is an expensive waste imo.

i wouldn't even go s/c on the QR25 anyways.....................I'd go turbo. you can always get a LOW psi spring (4psi) and not drive WOT to race someone, then flick up boost to 7psi and destroy 'em..........

i wouldn't go s/c on any small four, personally. Turbo benefits far outweigh those of super.......................and we've covered the benefits here tons before anyways.

·
I like fried Spam
383 Posts
Hey, it worked for Mad Max right??? j/k
Does seem like a neat idea, probably not worth the effort.

·
Registered
145 Posts
cburwell said:
All management systems (Even the stock ECU) would be able to handle this task.
yeah i guess. i mean, you could jury rig the thing to shoot more fuel when you hit the switch to engage the super charger. something a kin to a wet NO2 system. a bit beefier to handle prolonged use, and run rich for protection.

would be cool though, to have another set of maps kick in with the switch. not sure how you'd do that on a stock b15 ecu . . . some sort of programmable system, could use an auxilary input sensor to cause the ecu to switch maps. maybe closed loop and just use reference table values.

sorry, i'm tired. i still think it would be a neat project though. :p

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
that's not a bad idea with that ecu setup.......maybe when JWT is ready to reprogram our ECUs they would be able to put in a second set of maps for use with the auxiliary switch for the blower?

Late,
Daniel

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
bummster said:
yeah i guess. i mean, you could jury rig the thing to shoot more fuel when you hit the switch to engage the super charger. something a kin to a wet NO2 system. a bit beefier to handle prolonged use, and run rich for protection.

would be cool though, to have another set of maps kick in with the switch. not sure how you'd do that on a stock b15 ecu . . . some sort of programmable system, could use an auxilary input sensor to cause the ecu to switch maps. maybe closed loop and just use reference table values.

sorry, i'm tired. i still think it would be a neat project though. :p
You can set up a Greddy E-manage with a MAP sensor to do that. You can have different maps for just about anything (race gas, pump gas, different boost levels, ect).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts